ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Sep 11, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #4,906 of 6,283
Sep 11, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #4,907 of 6,283
Anyone tested with the RME ADI-2 FS or the ADI-2 Pro?

I use the RME to a Burson amp and it works great. The amp section of the RME is definitely adequate, but I want to add an OTL soon.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #4,908 of 6,283
Sep 11, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #4,909 of 6,283
sorry to be posting on this thread
No need to apologize, you're questions are totally on-topic here. You may get better answers on that other thread, though.

Since you're in Europe, you might also consider Violectric amps, if solid state options appeal to you. You'll find impressions of the Violectrics in the other thread.

Sep 11, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #4,910 of 6,283
Hello,

are there actually pads for the Ao that have the staging of the Auteurpads but have the bass volume of the Universe?

I switched through all 3 pads, Auteur, ultraperf and finally back to the Universe.
Auteur nice production and the rest also good, except for the somewhat too soft bass.
Ultraperf also very good, maybe a tad neutral for my personal taste.

Sep 11, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #4,911 of 6,283
Hello,

are there actually pads for the Ao that have the staging of the Auteurpads but have the bass volume of the Universe?

I switched through all 3 pads, Auteur, ultraperf and finally back to the Universe.
Auteur nice production and the rest also good, except for the somewhat too soft bass.
My ears hear more bass with the Auteur leather pads vs the Universe leather pads, so that’s interesting that you hear it opposite 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sep 11, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #4,912 of 6,283
My ears hear more bass with the Auteur leather pads vs the Universe leather pads, so that’s interesting that you hear it opposite 🤷🏻‍♂️
I didn’t spend a lot of time with the Auteur pads because I thought they sounded less controlled in the bass compared to the Universe pads. I didn’t think the Auteur pads had more bass either. Not doubting or questioning you. Your ears…my ears ✌️

Makes me think of years ago when I replaced a Klipsch sub with a JL Fathom. At first I thought there was significant loss of bass with the JL, but it was actually cleaner/tighter bass. Not saying that is what’s happening here, but it did trigger the memory.

Sep 11, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #4,913 of 6,283
I've been going back and forth between the Universe and Auteur the past couple of months and every time I come back to the Auteur pads I notice a slight bass quantity increase to my ears. Universe might be a little bit more controlled. I've been REALLY enjoying the Eikon suede perforated this past weekend. They take the Auteur "euphony" a bit further, and depending on the music it might be too much of a good thing.

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #4,914 of 6,283
Hello,

I hear the Auteur pads similarly. For me, the bass is less impactful and less controlled than the Universe pads, but the bass quantity might increase a bit. I also hear a wider soundstage with the Universe pads whereas the stage with the Auteur pads is a bit deeper.

How would you compare the bass impact and quality between the Universe and the Ultra Perforated pads?

Sep 12, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #4,915 of 6,283
I've been going back and forth between the Universe and Auteur the past couple of months and every time I come back to the Auteur pads I notice a slight bass quantity increase to my ears. Universe might be a little bit more controlled. I've been REALLY enjoying the Eikon suede perforated this past weekend. They take the Auteur "euphony" a bit further, and depending on the music it might be too much of a good thing.
I hear the Auteur pads similarly. For me, the bass is less impactful and less controlled than the Universe pads, but the bass quantity might increase a bit. I also hear a wider soundstage with the Universe pads whereas the stage with the Auteur pads is a bit deeper.

How would you compare the bass impact and quality between the Universe and the Ultra Perforated pads?
I've talked about it before, but I believe due to the pad angle/shape difference between the Universe/Auteur pads, HRTF comes into play with these more than most other pads.

I hear the Universe pads like @AntonRisto, but a lot of other people hear a sizable bass increase from the Auteur pads.

I'll be trying the Ultra Perf pads on the Atrium very soon. Have them on the VO right now.

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #4,916 of 6,283
I didn't think there was much difference in terms of bass, ultra perf seems slightly different subjectively but it's very similar to the Universe.

As for the auteur pads, I find the amount rather subjectively a little less punchy, so maybe it gives me the feeling that it's too little.
If I now add the emotional aspect, it almost seems like my Auter Og.

I will repeat the test again.
Because I used the XLR input from the dac and amp.
I find at this point that XLR although it is a different subject is less tidy, smoother and more fatigued and also more uncontrolled.
Rca seems much tidier, smoother and also more controlled to me.
I almost suspect that it might come from that.
And it also reacts to the pad change.

Sep 13, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #4,918 of 6,283
Chatham 5998
This is I guess the same as Tung Sol 5998, spectacular tube (although pricey nowadays), I can imagine it pairs with Atrium very well.

I hope to hear it at some point, I decided to move from zmf aeolus to atrium, but first need to sell aeolus:wink:

From what I read Atrium is more detailed than Aeoulus, more mid focused with more defined bass and a bit less treble energy. This is exaclty what want, would You say this is true comparison?

I am looking for a kind of super HD650, which I found aeolus not to be. Really easy to get lost with all those different opinions.... I also own VO and treble amount is just ok for me.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #4,920 of 6,283
What system do you have if you want to use the AO?
I don't want to say that the AO would not work if the chain is less good.
A good amplifier makes things easier.
Even though it's 300 ohms, it doesn't need excessive power, but the amp should at least be able to drive it.

Just buy the rest has been history with so many after that,even me.
You can also wait until another nice wood comes along for the Ao, if you don't like the stock Ao. (That's what I did and it took me 1 year to make the final purchase and I was not disappointed).

You can upgrade to a better amplifier at any time, as long as there are no problems with manufacturers 😉.
Surely you can ask here if there are Zmf supporters who live not far from your area why not, so that you are convinced.✌️
I have the Fiio K9 Pro. So with the zmf headphones Zach will come out with different batches of the same cans with different wood? Is that how the production model works?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back