ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Sep 13, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #4,921 of 6,415
This is I guess the same as Tung Sol 5998, spectacular tube (although pricey nowadays), I can imagine it pairs with Atrium very well.

I hope to hear it at some point, I decided to move from zmf aeolus to atrium, but first need to sell aeolus:wink:

From what I read Atrium is more detailed than Aeoulus, more mid focused with more defined bass and a bit less treble energy. This is exaclty what want, would You say this is true comparison?

I am looking for a kind of super HD650, which I found aeolus not to be. Really easy to get lost with all those different opinions.... I also own VO and treble amount is just ok for me.
VS the Aeolus I hear the Atrium as less mid focused with more treble presence. Definitely more sub bass, but mid bass will depend on pads used. With the right pads the mid bass on either can be quite strong. The Atrium definitely is a more resolving and refined sounding headphone, with a larger soundstage and overall higher technical limits. That's just how I hear it though. I find the Atrium to have more treble presence than the Aeolus, but also to smoother sounding overall, oddly enough.

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #4,922 of 6,415
I find the Atrium to have more treble presence than the Aeolus, but also to smoother sounding overall, oddly enough.
Hm, I have seen some comparisons saying aeolus has more energy in treble than atrium and obviously more controlled bass. Having looked at the frequency response graphs I found atrium is closer to hd650 than aeolus and with closer mids.

I just liked hd650 better to my liking than aeolus in terms of overall tonality and thought atrium may be the solution.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #4,923 of 6,415
VS the Aeolus I hear the Atrium as less mid focused with more treble presence. Definitely more sub bass, but mid bass will depend on pads used. With the right pads the mid bass on either can be quite strong. The Atrium definitely is a more resolving and refined sounding headphone, with a larger soundstage and overall higher technical limits. That's just how I hear it though. I find the Atrium to have more treble presence than the Aeolus, but also to smoother sounding overall, oddly enough.
Not odd at all. The quality of the treble is just as important as the quantity. A lot of peaks and ringing will make treble sound harsh even if it’s not that elevated. The Atrium has awesome treble quality!

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #4,924 of 6,415
You could say Atrium is like a "super HD650", depending on mesh and pad combo they can sound frighteningly close to each other tonality wise, when directly A/Bing them. Obviously Atrium is way more refined sounding and goes deeper with a much larger stage. Atriums treble is awesome, it's smooth and detailed at the same time.

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #4,925 of 6,415
I didn't think there was much difference in terms of bass, ultra perf seems slightly different subjectively but it's very similar to the Universe.

As for the auteur pads, I find the amount rather subjectively a little less punchy, so maybe it gives me the feeling that it's too little.
If I now add the emotional aspect, it almost seems like my Auter Og.

I will repeat the test again.
Because I used the XLR input from the dac and amp.
I find at this point that XLR although it is a different subject is less tidy, smoother and more fatigued and also more uncontrolled.
Rca seems much tidier, smoother and also more controlled to me.
I almost suspect that it might come from that.
And it also reacts to the pad change.
Any chance you wear glasses? With glasses on, the auteur pads lack punch compared to universe.

Sep 13, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #4,926 of 6,415
You could say Atrium is like a "super HD650", depending on mesh and pad combo they can sound frighteningly close to each other tonality wise, when directly A/Bing them. Obviously Atrium is way more refined sounding and goes deeper with a much larger stage. Atriums treble is awesome, it's smooth and detailed at the same time.
I'd add to that that by pad/mesh combo you could also get it to sounds like the HD580/600 if that's your jam. One of the best things about the Atrium (among its many amazing attributes) is that you can choose your own adventure from HD580 to HD650, including the excellent JAR mods of these headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #4,927 of 6,415
I just received my LTD Atrium (Bimble Box Burl) a few hours ago. I tried the Universe Leather, Caldera Ultra Perf Leather and BE2 Leather pads; so far, the BE2 are my favorite so far. They make the Atrium sound like an improved Auteur OG on all counts (with the same forward upper mids). For some reason, I found the Caldera Ultra Perfs really bright and fatiguing plus the notes seemed to lack weight. The Universe pads were dull and transients seemed muted by comparison. Has anyone here compared the BE2 Leather with the BE2 suede pads?

Sep 14, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #4,928 of 6,415
I just received my LTD Atrium (Bimble Box Burl) a few hours ago. I tried the Universe Leather, Caldera Ultra Perf Leather and BE2 Leather pads; so far, the BE2 are my favorite so far. They make the Atrium sound like an improved Auteur OG on all counts (with the same forward upper mids). For some reason, I found the Caldera Ultra Perfs really bright and fatiguing plus the notes seemed to lack weight. The Universe pads were dull and transients seemed muted by comparison. Has anyone here compared the BE2 Leather with the BE2 suede pads?
Congrats. Would be interesting to see how the wood turns out. I think I didn't see any bimble Box sets in the forum yet.

Sep 14, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #4,930 of 6,415
Here's my Atrium Pad Review if you haven't already seen it already. I'll be updating it with the Caldera Ultra Perf in the next few weeks.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmfheadphones-universe-pads.25839/

Sep 15, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #4,931 of 6,415
Not sure if the Atrium changes as radically as my Verite open did with the first 100-200 hours of use. I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions on which pad is your favorite just yet,

Sep 15, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #4,932 of 6,415
Hello everyone. it was my old dream to be the owner of a zmf totl headphones, and it looks like the time has come. when I dealt with the topic in the past, the Verite series was the top. since then, two members of Atrium have appeared and at the same price, which I still don't understand. did they get better technically and in tuning? since I would take them at home, it doesn't matter whether I choose open or closed ones, the question is more about how they are tuned and their technical ability. I know that the Átrium open type has more space and the stage is a bit better than the closed version. However, I don't know how well the open Átrium can listen to bass-oriented music such as Hip-Hop Techno and others. does it have enough punch, energy, dynamics, weight for the deep range or can only the closed versions provide this? the same question arises between verite open and closed. Is there anyone here who has heard all of these and can give me some answers to my questions? and I welcome any information about them.

Sep 15, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #4,933 of 6,415
Hello everyone. it was my old dream to be the owner of a zmf totl headphones, and it looks like the time has come. when I dealt with the topic in the past, the Verite series was the top. since then, two members of Atrium have appeared and at the same price, which I still don't understand. did they get better technically and in tuning? since I would take them at home, it doesn't matter whether I choose open or closed ones, the question is more about how they are tuned and their technical ability. I know that the Átrium open type has more space and the stage is a bit better than the closed version. However, I don't know how well the open Átrium can listen to bass-oriented music such as Hip-Hop Techno and others. does it have enough punch, energy, dynamics, weight for the deep range or can only the closed versions provide this? the same question arises between verite open and closed. Is there anyone here who has heard all of these and can give me some answers to my questions? and I welcome any information about them.

I owned all of them
The difference is in tunings/character
For the taste you are describe and genres you are looking for, I’d recommend the Atrium Closed. It will give you an Leeson’s kick in the lower to sub bass and shake you up (in the best way possible:)).

Sep 15, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #4,934 of 6,415
I don't know how well the open Átrium can listen to bass-oriented music such as Hip-Hop Techno and others.
If these are your main genres, then yes, Atrium closed is the one you want.

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #4,935 of 6,415
IMG_6425.jpeg
IMG_6426.jpeg

Arrived yesterday… pure joy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back