ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Sep 5, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #4,861 of 6,283
We definitely see all notes and that a really good tip to see what you have in our file. I'll try to find a way to incorporate the notes into the email reminders we do as well.
Hi Zach , I just ordered some Bimble Box Burl Atrium Opens , just wondering if you have much trouble/delays with Australian customs regarding the wood? Cheers mate 🍻

Sep 5, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #4,862 of 6,283
We definitely see all notes and that a really good tip to see what you have in our file. I'll try to find a way to incorporate the notes into the email reminders we do as well.
Hello Zach,

Do you think it might be possible to get the Zmf OFC cable a little nicer?
By that I mean the nice different connector options like the other cables and maybe as a sleeve if you want to buy it separately or even as a custom made one.

The cable is a bit underwhelming in my opinion, even though you offer it with selectable options at the time of purchase, but the look is a bit off-putting.

To my ears, with the amplifier I have, the Atrium somehow sounds the best.
The pure silver I made myself is really in your face and a bit flat.
The hybrid cable that was bought as a 3 supplier is also in your face, but with better instrument presentation than with silver alone (well copper like).
The Lektrik C I bought in addition with the Atrium is somehow too warm for me with the custom tube amp, (but goes great with the Feliks Euforia).
The OFC works best, strangely enough.
Everything is there and not one-sided or too much of anything.
That's why I asked if it would be possible to make it more beautiful or to order it personalised.

I haven't played with the pads yet, although I have the Ultra perf there.
I wanted to take things a bit slowly.

Sep 5, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #4,863 of 6,283
True musical coherence, delivery, excitement:
231F9909-E28B-4206-8989-88879C8677BA.jpeg
[Atrium is LTD Cocobolo, cable is Norne Audio Vykari, tubes in Woo Audio WA3 are Chatham 5998 + pair of Brimar CV455 (KB/FB Footscray).]

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #4,864 of 6,283
Hello Zach,

Do you think it might be possible to get the Zmf OFC cable a little nicer?
By that I mean the nice different connector options like the other cables and maybe as a sleeve if you want to buy it separately or even as a custom made one.

The cable is a bit underwhelming in my opinion, even though you offer it with selectable options at the time of purchase, but the look is a bit off-putting.

To my ears, with the amplifier I have, the Atrium somehow sounds the best.
The pure silver I made myself is really in your face and a bit flat.
The hybrid cable that was bought as a 3 supplier is also in your face, but with better instrument presentation than with silver alone (well copper like).
The Lektrik C I bought in addition with the Atrium is somehow too warm for me with the custom tube amp, (but goes great with the Feliks Euforia).
The OFC works best, strangely enough.
Everything is there and not one-sided or too much of anything.
That's why I asked if it would be possible to make it more beautiful or to order it personalised.

I haven't played with the pads yet, although I have the Ultra perf there.
I wanted to take things a bit slowly.
Glad that you like the way the OFC cable sounds, it is really good wire, and I think the best value but I understand not liking the form factor.

We are working on a braided, unsleeved version that will be much prettier, but take a little more effort to make, but we're working on getting the price down so the cost isn't too bad vs the current OFC. Hoping to release this late this year early next year so yes we are working on it!
True musical coherence, delivery, excitement: [Atrium is LTD Cocobolo, cable is Norne Audio Vykari, tubes in Woo Audio WA3 are Chatham 5998 + pair of Brimar CV455 (KB/FB Footscray).]
Great set-up! Love the Chathams! They are really wonderful =)

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 7, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #4,865 of 6,283
So the other day I went to my friend's place and brought another head fier to test his collection. The friend who was the subject of the tests normally uses a moondrop IEM and a dongle dap as his daily driver, so he is a casual head-fier. In addition to the HPs pictured, he got to try Diana TC, LCD-5 and DCA Expanse. Sadly I didn't bring my AC that day. The system was a Gustard R26 connected to Cayin HA-3A powering the HPs.

After trying all the HPs, he still preferred the AO out of all of them. He, with his unbiased ears, praised the AO for its huge soundstage, natural timbre, imaging and sense of space. He liked how everything "sounds natural, BIG, and can pick out where all the instruments are".

He tried the AO first, then the other HPs using the same two reference tracks, and still went back to the AO. He commented that it wasn't the last word on clarity as with the planar HPs, but he barely noticed the difference and liked everything else about it. He valued the other key sonic traits of AO more. Caldera was a close second.

Just thought it was an interesting test and how someone who is not educated about TOTL HPs, and has no expectation biases chose the AO out of all the other options purely on sonics.

20230830_165930.jpg
20230830_165922.jpg20230830_165953.jpg

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #4,866 of 6,283
So the other day I went to my friend's place and brought another head fier to test his collection. The friend who was the subject of the tests normally uses a moondrop IEM and a dongle dap as his daily driver, so he is a casual head-fier. In addition to the HPs pictured, he got to try Diana TC, LCD-5 and DCA Expanse. Sadly I didn't bring my AC that day. The system was a Gustard R26 connected to Cayin HA-3A powering the HPs.

After trying all the HPs, he still preferred the AO out of all of them. He, with his unbiased ears, praised the AO for its huge soundstage, natural timbre, imaging and sense of space. He liked how everything "sounds natural, BIG, and can pick out where all the instruments are".

He tried the AO first, then the other HPs using the same two reference tracks, and still went back to the AO. He commented that it wasn't the last word on clarity as with the planar HPs, but he barely noticed the difference and liked everything else about it. He valued the other key sonic traits of AO more. Caldera was a close second.

Just thought it was an interesting test and how someone who is not educated about TOTL HPs, and has no expectation biases chose the AO out of all the other options purely on sonics.

20230830_165930.jpg
That's great to hear, I have spent weeks and weeks trying to decide which ZMF to buy without being able to listen to any of them, I finally settled on the AO's a few days ago and am waiting patiently to receive them, reading this makes me more confidant in my decision .

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #4,867 of 6,283
The choice of the first headphone can bias the results a bit, though. Especially something like the AO that has a (superbly) editorialized sound.
I, for one, have a hard time switching between my AO and my other headphones (Susvara, JAR660S and AC). The Atrium Closed is more linear, despite its V or U-shaped sound, so it's easier to switch to Susvara and JAR660S after it.

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #4,868 of 6,283
The choice of the first headphone can bias the results a bit, though. Especially something like the AO that has a (superbly) editorialized sound.
I, for one, have a hard time switching between my AO and my other headphones (Susvara, JAR660S and AC). The Atrium Closed is more linear, despite its V or U-shaped sound, so it's easier to switch to Susvara and JAR660S after it.
he listened AO first because it was what's plugged in on arrival. He's not an expert he just chose whatever he felt sounded nice.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #4,869 of 6,283

20230830_165930.jpg

Great post here. I have the Gustard R26, currently using with my Auteur OG. This headphone is VERY responsive to DAC changes. I used the Bifrost 2 with the Auteur and really disliked it. It made the Auteur sound too warm, bloated, lacking in macrodynamics, clarity, closed, etc. The Gustard made a massive difference. This headphone sounds completely different now. Can't wait to get my AO in a few weeks to hear it with the Gustard.

Sep 7, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #4,870 of 6,283

20230830_165930.jpg
Shame that your friend didn't get to try the AC! Would be really curious how the AC would have sat in his choice hierarchy.

Sep 7, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #4,871 of 6,283
That's great to hear, I have spent weeks and weeks trying to decide which ZMF to buy without being able to listen to any of them, I finally settled on the AO's a few days ago and am waiting patiently to receive them, reading this makes me more confidant in my decision .

Atrium was also my first ZMF. Tough to decide without hearing any of them but after everything I had read about them it sounded like they'd be right up my alley. Couldn't be happier.

Sep 7, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #4,872 of 6,283

Is that Caldera made of Kingwood or marblecake walnut ?🤩

Sep 7, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #4,873 of 6,283
The AO is my least favorite of the flagship ZMFs but it's def the one I would recommend to most people and what I usually show off to people first when they listen to my stuff. Boomy and slamming bass with no mid range bleed lending to the best dynamics of the ZMF options IMO, smooth natural and neutral mids, and a decently energetic treble if you don't find it too spicy. And the most striking grill design. Just a safe bet to experiment/upgrade with too if you like the Sennheiser 6 series.

Also surely that's a kingwood Caldera

Sep 7, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #4,874 of 6,283
The AO is my least favorite of the flagship ZMFs but it's def the one I would recommend to most people and what I usually show off to people first when they listen to my stuff. Boomy and slamming bass with no mid range bleed lending to the best dynamics of the ZMF options IMO, smooth natural and neutral mids, and a decently energetic treble if you don't find it too spicy. And the most striking grill design. Just a safe bet to experiment/upgrade with too if you like the Sennheiser 6 series.

Also surely that's a kingwood Caldera
Looks so close to my Marblecake walnut Caldera in the picture. Might be the lighting the picture.
PXL_20230905_131900891.MP.jpg

Sep 7, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #4,875 of 6,283
Is that Caldera made of Kingwood or marblecake walnut ?🤩

It's the Kingwood (have my pair on my head as a I type.. just got them back after loaning them and enjoying a fresh listen:))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back