ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Mar 2, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #4,261 of 6,197
Hi everybody! I enjoy my new ZMF Atrium for about a week and looking for future amp possibilities. I have Yggdrasil A2 and Ragnarok and I think Atrium is good on SS because it profits from SS speed - but today, I tried it with Shiit Vali 2 (only amp with tubes i have for now) and was suprised how good it was. So i think maybe some hybrid amp like Lyr 3 or Mjolnir can be also great match? Does anybody have experience with it? I am also thinking about Feliks Euforia AE, because of recommendations here.
tl;dr Yes, I enjoy my Atrium with my Liquid Platinum hybrid-tube amp.

I've been listening to a lot of BottleHead Crack/Speedball ==> Atrium lately and really like it. Then again, I also enjoy Liquid Platinum ==> Atrium very much. A little brighter & even more open/airy headstage w/ Brimar CV-2942s, and fairly thunderous w/ Siemens CCa tubes. And Atrium is really good out of my DSHA-3F, as well as direct out of Hugo 2. mTT2 driving all those amps except (obviously) Hugo 2.

Atrium doesn't seem to move as much as my Auteur w/ different amps, but it is still pretty 'amp responsive'.

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #4,262 of 6,197
Hi everybody! I enjoy my new ZMF Atrium for about a week and looking for future amp possibilities. I have Yggdrasil A2 and Ragnarok and I think Atrium is good on SS because it profits from SS speed - but today, I tried it with Shiit Vali 2 (only amp with tubes i have for now) and was suprised how good it was. So i think maybe some hybrid amp like Lyr 3 or Mjolnir can be also great match? Does anybody have experience with it? I am also thinking about Feliks Euforia AE, because of recommendations here.
The Wells Dragon is a bombastic, yet fast and immediate sounding tube hybrid that is worth investigating as well. Then there is the ZMF amp thread that has a lot of great amp choices for ZMFs

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #4,263 of 6,197
The Vali is a fun little amp! I love mine, it's legit. I can't speak for the Euforia/Atrium combo specifically, but I did demo my Atticus and Auteur on a Euphoria for a few hours at a local shop and it was excellent sounding. I wish I had the Atrium at the time, but that was before the Atrium launch. But what the Euphoria did for the Atticus and especially the Auteur was amazing. Very smooth and non-fatiguing sound but in no way rolled off or rounded. Notes had a nice thickness and heft to them that was lacking on all my solid state amps. The spatial placement of notes on the stage was really really good, i kept thinking man it's so holographic sounding. I almost bought one but went with the Ampsandsound Pendant only because Zach hand selected that amp to carry for his headphones, and I thought when in doubt trust in Zach haha. The Pendant also rocks if you can find one used. If you want to keep costs down, don't overlook the Valhalla 2 with some NOS tubes. Very clean and dynamic sounding. The Feliks Echo (1 or 2, doesn't matter) also is excellent. I did pair my Atrium with one briefly and thought it was an excellent combo. The Haggerman Tuba is also a good alternative, and brings the thunder with the Atrium. My Tuba with the specific tubes I use is definitely bass boosted, but tastefully so. The stock tubes were much closer to neutral. I love those warm tubes though :) Kicks like a mule! Can't comment on the Lyr, sorry. I had a Lyr 2 briefly and thought it was good, but not as good as true non-hybrid tube amp. Also the Bottlehead Crack with speedball would also be high on my list of possible amps under $1K. And if you want something with a more DIY look and feel, try Garage Amps. They're not going to match the other amps on this list in pure technical performance, but they sound good. They're a lot like the Vali in that regard. Not the most technically adept amp, but it's overall macro performance is so engaging you forget it's limitations.

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #4,264 of 6,197
Received a shipping notification for Redheart, way faster than the expected 4-8 weeks so that's awesome. Should be here on Tuesday. Now the real wait begins.

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #4,265 of 6,197
The Vali is a fun little amp! I love mine, it's legit. I can't speak for the Euforia/Atrium combo specifically, but I did demo my Atticus and Auteur on a Euphoria for a few hours at a local shop and it was excellent sounding. I wish I had the Atrium at the time, but that was before the Atrium launch. But what the Euphoria did for the Atticus and especially the Auteur was amazing. Very smooth and non-fatiguing sound but in no way rolled off or rounded. Notes had a nice thickness and heft to them that was lacking on all my solid state amps. The spatial placement of notes on the stage was really really good, i kept thinking man it's so holographic sounding.
I hear the same as you with Atrium and Feliks Audio Euforia AE: non-fatiguing sound yet resolving, excellent weight and heft yet not wholly and great soundstage and depth. Excellent amp.

Mar 3, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #4,266 of 6,197
I hear the same as you with Atrium and Feliks Audio Euforia AE: non-fatiguing sound yet resolving, excellent weight and heft yet not wholly and great soundstage and depth. Excellent amp.
I’ve only had my Atrium for about a week but I’ve heard enough to definitively say Kenzie OG Rev 2 is a wonderful pairing with it. All of the Euphoria characteristics previously mentioned apply though the Kenzie may lean into the tube signature more so than the Euphoria based on all the reading I’ve done. Haven‘t tried the Mojo II on it’s own but looking forward to hearing the Atrium through that source.

Mar 3, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #4,267 of 6,197
I’ve only had my Atrium for about a week but I’ve heard enough to definitively say Kenzie OG Rev 2 is a wonderful pairing with it. All of the Euphoria characteristics previously mentioned apply though the Kenzie may lean into the tube signature more so than the Euphoria based on all the reading I’ve done. Haven‘t tried the Mojo II on it’s own but looking forward to hearing the Atrium through that source.
I love my Kenzie OG2 and Atrium combo, it’s an excellent pairing.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #4,268 of 6,197
Atrium arrived earlier today! They look even better in real life, absolutely flawless. I haven't had a chance to listen to them much yet but I just finished listening to some DSOTM and Rodrigo y Gabriela - Echoes. I love what I'm hearing so far and I'm sure it's going to get even better with burn in/ getting used to the sound. But I'm definitely going to have a great listening session tonight. Now time to save for an OTL.

Super happy. Massive thank you to @zach915m and ZMF for this work of art.

Attachments

• DSC_0284.jpg
    DSC_0284.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0297.jpg
    DSC_0297.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0301.jpg
    DSC_0301.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #4,269 of 6,197
Atrium arrived earlier today! They look even better in real life, absolutely flawless. I haven't had a chance to listen to them much yet but I just finished listening to some DSOTM and Rodrigo y Gabriela - Echoes. I love what I'm hearing so far and I'm sure it's going to get even better with burn in/ getting used to the sound. But I'm definitely going to have a great listening session tonight. Now time to save for an OTL.

Damn those are stunning. I would think it was too much in the magenta, but damn I think I like it. Congrats & enjoy!

Mar 7, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #4,270 of 6,197

Congratulations and keep us posted on your journey!

I been really enjoying mine on my FV, but a friend says that the Valhalla 2 is a solid pairing as well. I'm getting ready to try them on a RebelAmp this afternoon.

Mar 7, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #4,271 of 6,197

I don't think you'll like them, Atrium sucks! Please sell them to me :stuck_out_tongue:

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #4,272 of 6,197
Congratulations and keep us posted on your journey!

I been really enjoying mine on my FV, but a friend says that the Valhalla 2 is a solid pairing as well. I'm getting ready to try them on a RebelAmp this afternoon.

I've had a blast the past 6+ hours (with breaks). I need to rest my ears but I don't want to take them off. New toy syndrome, yada yada, I know haha.
Something that wasn't immediately obvious to me was the "layering" to the music that I've never experienced before with headphones. LCD-X did this somewhat but Atrium does it in a bigger scale. It becomes more clear when you sit back and listen. Instruments feel larger, drums sound incredibly real as if there's some tactile feel that is super satisfying.

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #4,273 of 6,197
I've had a blast the past 6+ hours (with breaks). I need to rest my ears but I don't want to take them off. New toy syndrome, yada yada, I know haha.
Something that wasn't immediately obvious to me was the "layering" to the music that I've never experienced before with headphones. LCD-X did this somewhat but Atrium does it in a bigger scale. It becomes more clear when you sit back and listen. Instruments feel larger, drums sound incredibly real as if there's some tactile feel that is super satisfying.

I have much the same experience with my Atrium once it arrived. While neither the amp nor the headphones were fully broken in, I had no problem wearing the majority of the workday - there wasn't any fatigue at all.

Did you purchase an upgraded or aftermarket cable?

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #4,274 of 6,197

that second pic... that color is RIDICULOUS. ZMF outdoing themselves yet again!

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #4,275 of 6,197
I have much the same experience with my Atrium once it arrived. While neither the amp nor the headphones were fully broken in, I had no problem wearing the majority of the workday - there wasn't any fatigue at all.

Did you purchase an upgraded or aftermarket cable?

I'm using the OFC cable, which to be honest is a bit too stiff and heavy for my liking so I might get an aftermarket cable. Norne or Viking Weave cables are looking gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back