ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #4,232 of 6,327
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #4,233 of 6,327
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #4,234 of 6,327
So you have one, and have been holding out on us? 🤣 JK!

Don't hold your breath for too long... I promise to share impressions within the next day or so... :ksc75smile:

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #4,235 of 6,327
Don't hold your breath for too long... I promise to share impressions within the next day or so... :ksc75smile:
Wow any comparison with VC will be appreciated

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #4,236 of 6,327
Feb 19, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #4,237 of 6,327
Hiby R6 Pro (S/PDIF out) ==> Hugo 2 ==> Atrium is really working for me today. Brighter signature of H2 pairs very well, while still delivering powerful bass.

On Stella Blue (4/1/90) Jerry’s guitar is just liquid. Then London Grammar’s Non Believer arrives bringing thunder! Jimi ‘s Little Wing followed by Loreena McKennitt’s Beneath a Phrygian Sky, and then Lucinda Williams’ Ventura (Live @ Filmore) confirms Atrium’s ability to handle (seemingly) anything. And H2 powers Atrium easily. Depending on the track & my mood, mostly green, or a little more or less.

Funny, one of the odd little detail tests I use is in Ventura. @ 2:00, she sings

Put Neil Young on
and turn up the sound

and the crowd reacts with quiet whistles and cheers. This chain produces that as clearly as my Utopia did from any system, which I find surprising. Same story with the voices on the radio at the beginning of Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here (title track).

Anyway, my ears say it’s a great pairing — give it a try!

Universe perf suede pads alternating w/ Auteur hybrids.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #4,238 of 6,327
Feb 24, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #4,239 of 6,327
Cross-posting from the HA-3A thread because this is the best synergy I have achieved with the Atrium so far:

This was one of those nights where the whole chain clicked with a particular album:

Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds- Live at Luther College FLAC > Soekris dac2541 > Cayin HA-3A (RCA 6V6 GTY, RCA Clear Tops, Sylvania 22DE4) > ZMF Atrium

I personally find the Atrium likes a bit leaner tube combination since it already has such a wonderfully warm and punchy sound signature already. This tube combo has basically no bloom but still maintains that mid-bass punch. And wow the detail of the finger-plucking and sense of space is just out of this world. The gear just disappears and you feel like you are at that performance.

PXL_20230224_045907254.jpg

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #4,240 of 6,327
Cross-posting from the HA-3A thread because this is the best synergy I have achieved with the Atrium so far:

This was one of those nights where the whole chain clicked with a particular album:

Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds- Live at Luther College FLAC > Soekris dac2541 > Cayin HA-3A (RCA 6V6 GTY, RCA Clear Tops, Sylvania 22DE4) > ZMF Atrium

I personally find the Atrium likes a bit leaner tube combination since it already has such a wonderfully warm and punchy sound signature already. This tube combo has basically no bloom but still maintains that mid-bass punch. And wow the detail of the finger-plucking and sense of space is just out of this world. The gear just disappears and you feel like you are at that performance.

PXL_20230224_045907254.jpg
Beautiful set up and one of the classic DM/TR recordings. Love it!

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #4,241 of 6,327
(Cross-post from the Auteur thread, since it wound up being a question about the Atrium)

Now that I have been listening to my Auteurs for a month or so, and loving them, I have resigned myself to the notion that I will have to buy the Verite open (which I ordered recently after too many cocktails) and the Atrium, and listen for extended periods to find out if one is my Goldilocks (just right) headphone. Or perhaps one is perfect for jazz while another is my favorite for rock. Can’t imagine keeping all three, but some of you have even more ZMFs than that!

As I sit here listening to Joe Henry’s new album, I am thinking it couldn’t get much better. However, on some music that is not as well recorded, the Auteurs have sounded a bit harsh and I know it is merely conveying the harshness of the recording itself. I have read that the Verite is unforgiving but amazing with well-recorded music. Would the Atrium be more “forgiving” and smooth out poor recordings?
Note goldwerger's comments and others, but I'll add this.
With a fast clean low distortion valve amp, the Atrium does give fine transients and a crisp sound as well as natural sweetness and the forgiving nature you seem to want.
This combination, it seems to focus on the good music and suppress some of the concerns in badly recorded things. OK, perhaps I exaggerate a little but that's how I hear it; magic.
This, plus the overall excellent sound quality, is why I love the Atrium and tend to prefer it to the VO (which is also superb).

Finding the right valve amp, that's another story; I've had to build many to get where I am. I'll add that (for valid cost restraint reasons) most professional gear is behind what the best amateurs are achieving so consider DIY, or look to some lesser makers (e.g. Donald North) who started as amateurs.
Note that 'amateur' means someone who loves what they do.

Feb 25, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #4,243 of 6,327
Atrium Redheart fresh from CanJam! The Cayin amps were amazing. Ready to try it with my Eufonika H5M!

image0 (1).jpeg
I am loving the real world photos of that redheart wood. I actually think they look even better under natural lighting than they do in the ZMF pictures and videos. I can't wait for my redheart Calderas to arrive!

Feb 25, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #4,244 of 6,327
Note goldwerger's comments and others, but I'll add this.
With a fast clean low distortion valve amp, the Atrium does give fine transients and a crisp sound as well as natural sweetness and the forgiving nature you seem to want.
This combination, it seems to focus on the good music and suppress some of the concerns in badly recorded things. OK, perhaps I exaggerate a little but that's how I hear it; magic.
This, plus the overall excellent sound quality, is why I love the Atrium and tend to prefer it to the VO (which is also superb).

Finding the right valve amp, that's another story; I've had to build many to get where I am. I'll add that (for valid cost restraint reasons) most professional gear is behind what the best amateurs are achieving so consider DIY, or look to some lesser makers (e.g. Donald North) who started as amateurs.
Note that 'amateur' means someone who loves what they do.
Not sure my BHC/Speedball qualifies as the right amp. But Helplessly Hoping just came on and the vocal attack definitely gets to ‘crisp’ — RIP DC.

Fleetwood Mac Never Going Back followed, and Lindsey’s guitar is super engaging. Then Dylan & Cash Girl From the North Country … vocals really mesh well. Dylan’s higher register floats over the Cash’s bedrock.

I just love how Atrium handles all offerings with aplomb.

mTT2 ==> BHC ==> Atrium

Chatham 5998 & GEC L63s (also marked CV1067) BHC is modded to take a pair in place of 12AU7 (either/or)

I will say that

mTT2 ==> DSHA-3F ==> Atrium

is very engaging/incisive/crisp. I suppose that chain trades a little euphony for a bit more precision and impact vs BHC chain, but it’s a fairly subtle difference. Meanwhile

mTT2 ==> BHC ==> Liquid Gold X ==> Atrium

splits the difference.

< edit >
Gretchen Peters Ring Around the Moon is incredible … her voice literally gushes emotion.
< /edit >

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #4,245 of 6,327
Just joined team AO on Saturday!!!! Picked them up at CanJam. I’ll share photos and impressions later but needless to say I’m thrilled with how they sound and look. Major shout out to @zach915m, Bevin and the entire ZFM team who were so patient and kind with me and others who were demoing the myriad of headphones/amps on display. Love supporting a USA small business that creates wonderful flagship products and is led by people who care passionately about them and their customers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back