ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Feb 16, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #4,216 of 6,475
Good to see so many liking the BE2, and Suede! It was my pick for secondary pads when I placed my order, and all the meshes... how does BE2 Suede go with solid mesh?

Feb 16, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #4,217 of 6,475
Good to see so many liking the BE2, and Suede! It was my pick for secondary pads when I placed my order, and all the meshes... how does BE2 Suede go with solid mesh?
I like them with solid or stock meshes. My initial review one had the solid mesh and my purchased one had the stock. Even A/Bing when I had both I didn't find the difference major. Just a bit brighter with stock mesh but I would have been just as happy with the solid mesh.

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #4,218 of 6,475
(Cross-post from the Auteur thread, since it wound up being a question about the Atrium)

Now that I have been listening to my Auteurs for a month or so, and loving them, I have resigned myself to the notion that I will have to buy the Verite open (which I ordered recently after too many cocktails) and the Atrium, and listen for extended periods to find out if one is my Goldilocks (just right) headphone. Or perhaps one is perfect for jazz while another is my favorite for rock. Can’t imagine keeping all three, but some of you have even more ZMFs than that!

As I sit here listening to Joe Henry’s new album, I am thinking it couldn’t get much better. However, on some music that is not as well recorded, the Auteurs have sounded a bit harsh and I know it is merely conveying the harshness of the recording itself. I have read that the Verite is unforgiving but amazing with well-recorded music. Would the Atrium be more “forgiving” and smooth out poor recordings?

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #4,219 of 6,475
(Cross-post from the Auteur thread, since it wound up being a question about the Atrium)

Now that I have been listening to my Auteurs for a month or so, and loving them, I have resigned myself to the notion that I will have to buy the Verite open (which I ordered recently after too many cocktails) and the Atrium, and listen for extended periods to find out if one is my Goldilocks (just right) headphone. Or perhaps one is perfect for jazz while another is my favorite for rock. Can’t imagine keeping all three, but some of you have even more ZMFs than that!

As I sit here listening to Joe Henry’s new album, I am thinking it couldn’t get much better. However, on some music that is not as well recorded, the Auteurs have sounded a bit harsh and I know it is merely conveying the harshness of the recording itself. I have read that the Verite is unforgiving but amazing with well-recorded music. Would the Atrium be more “forgiving” and smooth out poor recordings?

You’re in for a serious treat. The VO and Atrium are like Yin and Yang.. the VO offering speed with fast transients and crisp voicing, the Atrium offering a slower lush decay and analog like sound. You will quickly know which you prefer (or both 🤪🤦‍♂️). The Atrium is an upgrade to the Aueteur, which will let know take an upgrade path on this one.

I haven’t found the VO to be non forgiving, they are both great with all recordings. I did find they both scale with better amps (true to all ZMFs generally), so perhaps consider swapping from SS to tube of vice versa, or trying another amp as this can change the sound profile quite a bit.

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #4,220 of 6,475
You’re in for a serious treat. The VO and Atrium are like Yin and Yang.. the VO offering speed with fast transients and crisp voicing, the Atrium offering a slower lush decay and analog like sound. You will quickly know which you prefer (or both 🤪🤦‍♂️). The Atrium is an upgrade to the Aueteur, which will let know take an upgrade path on this one.

I haven’t found the VO to be non forgiving, they are both great with all recordings. I did find they both scale with better amps (true to all ZMFs generally), so perhaps consider swapping from SS to tube of vice versa, or trying another amp as this can change the sound profile quite a bit.
Nailed it. I also purchased a VO and Atrium and ended up keeping both. I love them both for their own unique presentations that @goldwerger perfectly outlined.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #4,221 of 6,475
I've found the Vérité to be pretty forgiving and I've even used it to listen to poorly recorded 90s alternative rock, which I usually reserve for my LCD-2C.

The Vérité can be a bit unforgiving when it comes to a kind of treble hardness or glare with the wrong DAC or amp pairings. This isn't the Vérité's fault. It's just that the Vérité can reveal it. The Bifrost 2, for instance, which has some edge and unevenness in the treble, caused this in my setup, and I'd not noticed it as much with other headphones. With the Yggy A2, the Vérité's perfectly fine - or better put, glorious.

Back on topic with the Atrium, the good news is that my chain works equally well for both the Vérité and the Atrium, which means you might be able to pour all your funds into a single DAC/amp setup for a range of ZMFs!

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #4,222 of 6,475

Given that you already have the Auteur Classic I'd say save up for a Caldera instead. It's in between the Verite and Atrium in terms of how well it presents poor recordings. The Auteur has similarity to the Atrium that I think you'll get a lot more out of the difference with the Caldera. A LTD Caldera is basically the price of an Atrium & Auteur, and if you don't expect to keep 3, might as well go for the best ZMF (or best 2 since you're getting the Verite).

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #4,223 of 6,475

i don't think Atrium is more forgiving than Auteur Classic. However speaking of 3 ZMF Flagship (Atrium, Verite, Caldera), yeah, Atrium is the most forgiving one.

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #4,224 of 6,475
That lovely Atrium Closed in Aged Cherry... sooo pretty! 🥰

ZMF_Atrium_Open_Closed.jpg

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #4,225 of 6,475

Looks cool! Kind of reminds me of the R10, plus I'm assuming it has the same Biocellulose driver as the Atrium. Major R10 vibes

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #4,226 of 6,475

It looks soooo beautiful! I love Aged Cherry on the open back and this looks to be just as gorgeous.

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #4,227 of 6,475

AcademicWarmAndeancockoftherock-size_restricted.gif

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #4,228 of 6,475

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #4,229 of 6,475
Looks cool! Kind of reminds me of the R10, plus I'm assuming it has the same Biocellulose driver as the Atrium. Major R10 vibes

It is reminiscent yeah, though much shallower of a bump. And yup, same driver.

It looks soooo beautiful! I love Aged Cherry on the open back and this looks to be just as gorgeous.

It'll also be available in Cherry, but that one got sent to Head-Fi HQ, so I couldn't photograph it.

Monsterzero: Wait, Warren posted something? Oh crap, there must be a new preview video! 🤣

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #4,230 of 6,475

Users who are viewing this thread

Back