ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Feb 14, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #4,201 of 6,390
I just switched out to the BE2's on my Atrium and I absolutely love them so far.
I love the BE2 as well, the bass is still very present while the upper mids gain more sparkle and presence. I found the Atrium a bit sleepy sounding with the other pads. I seem to be in the minority though as I also removed my mesh and still think it’s not bright or overhearing up top.

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #4,202 of 6,390
I love the BE2 as well, the bass is still very present while the upper mids gain more sparkle and presence. I found the Atrium a bit sleepy sounding with the other pads. I seem to be in the minority though as I also removed my mesh and still think it’s not bright or overhearing up top.
I agree with you on the mids..I also think that the bass tightened up some with the BE2's..I am glad I switched over to them.

Feb 15, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #4,203 of 6,390
Well I haven't caught up in this thread in a while, but I came here to say I had switched to team BE2. It looks like I'm not alone. Are we all operating on some ZMF cosmic wavelength or something? :ksc75smile:

Anyway, they didn't sound right to me when I first got the Atrium, but I always like to revisit and I'm really glad that I did. I love that a new experience is only a pad swap away with ZMF.

Feb 15, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #4,204 of 6,390
If you like BE2 pads, come join me on team Verite pads! To me, the closer the Atrium driver to the ears the more I prefer it.

Feb 15, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #4,205 of 6,390
Even with the Universal Lambskin or Auteur pads my ears touch the driver grill/mesh which isn't particularly comfortable. I end up sliding in some trimmed section of random cable (usually old USB cables) inside the ear pads between the pad and the stretchy back to get a tad more space between my ears and the grilles. I tried an Atrium on with the BE2s and my ears were squished up against the grilles. Is anyone else dealing with that or do you all have really small or tucked ears? :)

Feb 15, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #4,206 of 6,390
Even with the Universal Lambskin or Auteur pads my ears touch the driver grill/mesh which isn't particularly comfortable. I end up sliding in some trimmed section of random cable (usually old USB cables) inside the ear pads between the pad and the stretchy back to get a tad more space between my ears and the grilles. I tried an Atrium on with the BE2s and my ears were squished up against the grilles. Is anyone else dealing with that or do you all have really small or tucked ears? :)
Try using parachord instead. That's what Zach recommended and it worked well enough with Auteur pads.

Be2 are also too shallow for my ears on Atrium, as well as Universe.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #4,207 of 6,390
I just switched out to the BE2's on my Atrium and I absolutely love them so far.
Well I haven't caught up in this thread in a while, but I came here to say I had switched to team BE2. It looks like I'm not alone. Are we all operating on some ZMF cosmic wavelength or something? :ksc75smile:

Anyway, they didn't sound right to me when I first got the Atrium, but I always like to revisit and I'm really glad that I did. I love that a new experience is only a pad swap away with ZMF.
You guys are killing me. When I had an Atrium loaner, I didn't care for the BE2 pads. I can't recall why at this point -- seems like I only tried them for a short time. So I ordered Auteur hybrid as my second set of pads when I purchased.

Now you've got me wondering if I didn't give them a fair chance and missed out. I really enjoy the way we can shape the sound of our ZMFs with different pads and (now) meshes. I guess I'll have to get some BE2s to overcome this itch :)

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #4,208 of 6,390
If you like BE2 pads, come join me on team Verite pads! To me, the closer the Atrium driver to the ears the more I prefer it.
That's one of the few pads that I don't have. I will have to order them. I've decided at this point that there is no way to be sure that I've found the best pad for me early on. I always find pads that I like when revisiting options after a few months of ownership. To me, it's proof that it takes my brain a while to learn the headphone.

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #4,209 of 6,390
You guys are killing me. When I had an Atrium loaner, I didn't care for the BE2 pads. I can't recall why at this point -- seems like I only tried them for a short time. So I ordered Auteur hybrid as my second set of pads when I purchased.

Now you've got me wondering if I didn't give them a fair chance and missed out. I really enjoy the way we can shape the sound of our ZMFs with different pads and (now) meshes. I guess I'll have to get some BE2s to overcome this itch :)
Mine are the lambskin, but I know that I've seen a couple users that claim the Be2 hybrid as being their favorite.

Feb 15, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #4,210 of 6,390

Or BE2 suede perhaps? Love them on the Atrium and Verite Open.

Feb 15, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #4,211 of 6,390
Try using parachord instead. That's what Zach recommended and it worked well enough with Auteur pads.

Be2 are also too shallow for my ears on Atrium, as well as Universe.
What size (thickness) Paracord did you use?

Feb 15, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #4,213 of 6,390

Team Be2 for the win!

Someone gave me the "secrect sauce" tip back when the Atrium were released, and now I have them on both the Atrium and the "thin cowhide" on the Caldera. Those pads just click for me - tight, punchy, fast bass, clean vocals, crisp highs....everything else sounds slow and heavy to me in comparison. All of this is IMO, of course. YMMV.

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #4,214 of 6,390
Mine are the lambskin, but I know that I've seen a couple users that claim the Be2 hybrid as being their favorite.
Out of all the ZMF pads I have tried on my Atrium, which are Uni Lambskin, Auteur Hybrid, BE2 suede, Uni Suede, Aeolus lambskin (all perf, leaving put the solids as I know most don't enjoy them on opens), the BE2 suede are by far my favorite.

Would really love to be able to reasonably try them all, but obviously that would get ridiculously expensive to do.. so that will only happen over a long period of time, or when I hit the lottery :sweat_smile:

Feb 16, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #4,215 of 6,390
Out of all the ZMF pads I have tried on my Atrium, which are Uni Lambskin, Auteur Hybrid, BE2 suede, Uni Suede, Aeolus lambskin (all perf, leaving put the solids as I know most don't enjoy them on opens), the BE2 suede are by far my favorite.

Would really love to be able to reasonably try them all, but obviously that would get ridiculously expensive to do.. so that will only happen over a long period of time, or when I hit the lottery :sweat_smile:
I quite liked those as well. Or at least that's what my review says... :L3000:

I'll have to swap some pads on the Atrium and see if I still feel the same about them as I did last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back