ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 9, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #91 of 6,190
Hey guys, need your thoughts/advice on which amp to get for the atrium and possibly a vc in the future. I have ordered the atrium, waiting eagerly but only have a ss amp(gsx mini). I have tried the auteur off a tube amp(auris euterpe) and found it to be a lot more enjoyable on tubes than ss(ss was more textured and detailed but didn't have the soul and as people say euphony of tubes). Now, i feel i need to pick up a tube amp. Do you guys feel an otl is absolutely needed for a zmf? I have a good deal on a cayin ha6a and i was thinking of getting that but unsure how it will pair with the atrium. I am also drawn towards the euterpe just because i have tried it and that small footprint is amazing (because i plan to use this as a bedside unit). Question here is basically, is an otl much better than other trafo coupled amps with zmf? If not, is the cayin ha6a a big step over the auris euterpe?
I know there are many other amps around but there are no dealers for ampsound, bottlehead etc etc available here and if i had to import it the duty would be insane.

Apr 9, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #92 of 6,190
Heard that these offer a bit of isolation like a semi closed, interesting to see how much noise thay could block for just general home use.
From what I've read, I wouldn't buy them in hopes that they offer isolation. :p

Seems like it's in the ballpark of an HD650 when it comes to isolation, maybe a tiny bit more (i.e., not a whole lot.)

Apr 9, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #93 of 6,190
Hey guys, need your thoughts/advice on which amp to get for the atrium and possibly a vc in the future. I have ordered the atrium, waiting eagerly but only have a ss amp(gsx mini). I have tried the auteur off a tube amp(auris euterpe) and found it to be a lot more enjoyable on tubes than ss(ss was more textured and detailed but didn't have the soul and as people say euphony of tubes). Now, i feel i need to pick up a tube amp. Do you guys feel an otl is absolutely needed for a zmf? I have a good deal on a cayin ha6a and i was thinking of getting that but unsure how it will pair with the atrium. I am also drawn towards the euterpe just because i have tried it and that small footprint is amazing (because i plan to use this as a bedside unit). Question here is basically, is an otl much better than other trafo coupled amps with zmf? If not, is the cayin ha6a a big step over the auris euterpe?
I know there are many other amps around but there are no dealers for ampsound, bottlehead etc etc available here and if i had to import it the duty would be insane.

This is kind of a non-answer because I haven't received my Atrium yet, and I haven't heard a number of the amps you've listed in your post. But I love my ZMF VC and Auteur off my "humble" ss (Jotunheim 2) and my ZMF Pendant SE, though they sound more engaging and fun off the Pendant.

That said, you might find the discussion about this topic in the Atrium announcement thread to be helpful--perhaps beginning around post #559 or so.

THE ZMF ATRIUM!!! and other cool LTD ZMF Stuff

Apr 9, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #94 of 6,190
Off of my Glenn OTL the sound was super 3D and floaty. A literal kaleidoscope of sound.

Off of the Wells Dragon lvl 3, a tube hybrid beast, the 3D was lessened to a pretty substantial amount, but still very present. Staging is slightly wider and verticality is about a draw. The sound is more immediate with more speed, better for faster music.

TL;DR

depends upon what presentation appeals to your tastes more.

Apr 9, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #95 of 6,190
These headphones are still glued on my head, and it's not cool because I have plenty of work to do outside around my house.

ajGh8Th.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #96 of 6,190
These headphones are still glued on my head, and it's not cool because I have plenty of work to do outside around my house.

ajGh8Th.jpg
They seem to get better and better every time I listen to them. Staging is breathtaking!

Apr 9, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #100 of 6,190
It’s official. These are my favorite headphones of all time. I can’t even offer constructive criticism outside of the fact that they distract you from work.
I seriously hope you're not a brain surgeon...

Apr 9, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #101 of 6,190
Heard that these offer a bit of isolation like a semi closed, interesting to see how much noise thay could block for just general home use.
Listening right now as I type this and the furnace running at about 55dba level. I hear it with my Atrium on and no music playing just about the same sound level as no headphone on.

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #103 of 6,190
Moreso than the color of the grill and wood. My thinking is that the wood won't make a significant bit of difference in the sound of one vs. the other when all is said and done. I am curious about the need for burn-in on this headphone and whether or not the sound matures over time. Am I wasting my time trying to burn them in? I have had them playing for a couple of hours now on my solid-state amp. I plan to continue overnight and part of tomorrow before rolling to my 5998 tubes on the Woo and giving them a listen.

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #104 of 6,190
I personally would find it impossible to keep myself from listening to new headphones. I say listen as they burn-in so you aren’t torturing yourself!

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #105 of 6,190
Ordered on release day, still no shipping info :frowning2:

That's probably what I get for ordering an upgrade cable at the same time. Oh well...
FYI- Last week I never received shipping notification e-mail until the day it was being delivered (Friday).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back