ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 10, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #122 of 6,183
Any Atrium owners here take their pair for a spin during a gaming session yet? I'd be willing to bet it'd work quite well for movies/games given its staging and relatively neutral response.

Would be interested to hear any comments for that use case (not that someone would buy these for that as the primary use case.)
I did indeed watch a few movies with the Atrium during my time with them...insanely good experience for me. The headstage made everything seem more imersive, which was a boon when watching on my computer. Add the amazing mids which helped clarify voices etc., it is a winning combo IMO.

Apr 10, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #123 of 6,183
Moreso than the color of the grill and wood. My thinking is that the wood won't make a significant bit of difference in the sound of one vs. the other when all is said and done. I am curious about the need for burn-in on this headphone and whether or not the sound matures over time. Am I wasting my time trying to burn them in? I have had them playing for a couple of hours now on my solid-state amp. I plan to continue overnight and part of tomorrow before rolling to my 5998 tubes on the Woo and giving them a listen.
I think getting used to a new headphone is just as important as any mechanical/electrical break-in that happens. Why not just enjoy right from the start. Life is too short. :beerchug:

Apr 10, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #124 of 6,183
Ordered on release day, still no shipping info :frowning2:

That's probably what I get for ordering an upgrade cable at the same time. Oh well...
FYI- Last week I never received shipping notification e-mail until the day it was being delivered (Friday).
I also ordered on release day at 11:23 EST and nothing yet. I ordered only the headphones.

Apr 10, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #125 of 6,183
I think getting used to a new headphone is just as important as any mechanical/electrical break-in that happens. Why not just enjoy right from the start. Life is too short. :beerchug:
I got about 24 hours on them and started listening today. I should say it's a good thing that I didn't start yesterday when they showed up. Nothing else would have gotten done. Today I put the TS 5998s, the Mullard EZ81s and the Siemens E88CCs in the Woo and decided to enjoy a little Jazzmasters/Paul Hardcastle. This is very, very good. Jazz fans will not be disappointed. Not that the rest isn't excellent but the low end on these is something to behold. :relaxed:

Apr 10, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #126 of 6,183
Listening with the DNA Startus and the Bubinga Atriums- they are special. That low end literally rumbles, without any bleed, boom or noise creeping into any of the other frequencies. Listening with a lot of rock, metal, post-punk and electronic so far and all are winners. For Jazz fans, Linda Fredriksson's Juniper is also an amazing listen on these- the spaciousness of the stage really makes the record shine.

Apr 10, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #129 of 6,183
I did indeed watch a few movies with the Atrium during my time with them...insanely good experience for me. The headstage made everything seem more imersive, which was a boon when watching on my computer. Add the amazing mids which helped clarify voices etc., it is a winning combo IMO.
I agree that the movie experience is great especially when using enhanced movie effects/EQ with the Boom 3D app on my pc.

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #130 of 6,183
I also ordered on release day at 11:23 EST and nothing yet. I ordered only the headphones.
Ordered within 6 minutes of them going live. Hopefully get a shipping confirmation early this week!! Just ordered the headphones as well, with no extras in hopes of getting them quicker! Can’t wait to hear what everyone’s raving about.

Sounds like this headphone is something special! Congrats to Zach and Bevin on creating what ZMF is today and can’t wait for future releases.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #131 of 6,183
Fun question (I hope): for those of you who already own an Atrium, if you had to pick one track to show off the Atrium's strengths, which would you pick? And why?
This is one of my favorite tracks with my Atrium for now: Vanessa Fernandez - Here But I'm Gone https://song.link/t/58066520

What stands out most for me is how amazing and convincing the drums sound - the part at around 3:30 was one of the first times Atrium made me giggle :beyersmile:

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #132 of 6,183
Everytime I go to list a song that shows off what the Atrium can do, I hear a different track that does it equally as well.

Last night I was listening to "Fool For Your Stockings"-ZZ Top From the rumbling bass of Dusty Hill to the guitar work of Billy Gibbons, and how each part was so clearly presented, it to me really is stellar on the Atrium.

But, then I listened to "San Francisco Mabel Joy"- Mickey Newbury, ( a lyrically brutal song!)and it was equally impressive, for totally different reasons. Then it occured to me, and I do not recall ever saying this about a headphone before, but the Atrium seems to make most songs, somehow sound better.

Crazy.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #133 of 6,183
Adding all of these tracks to a playlist for when I get my Atrium. When I got my first ZMF, I told my wife that I just wanted two headphones--one closed back and one open back. I can't imagine parting with my Auteur, so I'm already planning my argument for why all 3 are essential. Seeing (or in this case "hearing") is believing, so part of my argument will involve playing a track or two or a snippet of a track or two that should make her go "Wow."

I do not recall ever saying this about a headphone before, but the Atrium seems to make most songs, somehow sound better.

A ringing endorsement!

the part at around 3:30 was one of the first times Atrium made me giggle

I've had the pleasure of having that reaction with my VC, especially on tubes. I'm not sure and may never know how an artist "intended" a particular piece of music to sound, but with my ZMFs and my tube amp I can dial in the sound to make the music sound as good as I've ever heard it. For me that's what this is all about.

Apr 10, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #134 of 6,183
Adding all of these tracks to a playlist for when I get my Atrium.
In my review I said the Atrium takes a generic, non-headphone song, you may have heard a thousand times before, and then proceeds to render it in an amazing way, that leaves you agasp.

I think once you have the Atrium you will find that a list of songs is pretty pointless. Pretty much every song is a totally new way to hear it via the Atrium. It really is that good!

Apr 10, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #135 of 6,183
I need some justification purchasing the Atrium especially when I already own the Auteur, VC and VO along with all the other headphones in my sig. Anyone care to nudge me in the right direction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back