ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 10, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #136 of 6,183
Adding all of these tracks to a playlist for when I get my Atrium. When I got my first ZMF, I told my wife that I just wanted two headphones--one closed back and one open back. I can't imagine parting with my Auteur, so I'm already planning my argument for why all 3 are essential. Seeing (or in this case "hearing") is believing, so part of my argument will involve playing a track or two or a snippet of a track or two that should make her go "Wow."

A ringing endorsement!

I've had the pleasure of having that reaction with my VC, especially on tubes. I'm not sure and may never know how an artist "intended" a particular piece of music to sound, but with my ZMFs and my tube amp I can dial in the sound to make the music sound as good as I've ever heard it. For me that's what this is all about.
Tubes do indeed add a sparkle of magic with ZMF headphones. The Atrium is no exception.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #138 of 6,183
I need some justification purchasing the Atrium especially when I already own the Auteur, VC and VO along with all the other headphones in my sig. Anyone care to nudge me in the right direction?

I think at this point it would just be disrespectful to Zach if you didn't collect the rest of his lineup... think of how neglected they must feel!

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #139 of 6,183
Tubes do indeed add a sparkle of magic with ZMF headphones. The Atrium is no exception.
I wouldn't know - my ZMF hasn't shipped yet and my Woo's are sitting here all lonely....

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #140 of 6,183
Congrats that looks like a great combo. Do let us know your thoughts on this pairing compared to other amps or headphones if you have any. What are you using as source?
My only other headphone is a drop 6xx with ZMF perf leather pads. My source is a Bluesound Node 2i streaming Flac from a local music server.
Only my second night with the Atrium. Most noticeable improvement over the 6xx is the soundstage. Much wider presentation and the imaging is more precise.
The other thing that jumps out is that the bass presence is much stronger. Rumbles, but not in a bloomy way. Better sub bass perhaps?
Last thing that I have noticed is that the Atrium is slightly quieter than the 6xx at the same volume levels. Usually start at around 11/46 on 6xx and it feels like I need maybe 15/46 to get to the same level.
I also own a Bottlehead Crack/Speedball and Schiit coaster amp. I will give those a listen tomorrow. When I read the reviews of the Atrium multiple people mentioned that this headphone is more forgiving of lesser recordings. It is a weird paradox that this headphone can both be more precise than the 6xx and at the same time more enjoyable with rougher recordings. My impressions on my gear so YMMV.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #142 of 6,183
I think once you have the Atrium you will find that a list of songs is pretty pointless. Pretty much every song is a totally new way to hear it via the Atrium. It really is that good!

What you just said is so true. I know it's going to sound like a cliché, but I'm rediscovering all my music with the Atrium.

Apr 10, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #143 of 6,183
I need some justification purchasing the Atrium especially when I already own the Auteur, VC and VO along with all the other headphones in my sig. Anyone care to nudge me in the right direction?
Have you seen the Koa ones? That's justification enough, lol.

The staging is totally unique. They're even better than the Auteur on less than ideal recordings. Also they come in koa. Did I mention koa?

Seriously though if I had to get rid of everything else in my collection, I'd keep the VC, VO, and Atrium at this point.

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #145 of 6,183
Have you seen the Koa ones? That's justification enough, lol.

The staging is totally unique. They're even better than the Auteur on less than ideal recordings. Also they come in koa. Did I mention koa?

Seriously though if I had to get rid of everything else in my collection, I'd keep the VC, VO, and Atrium at this point.
And if you had to narrow it down to just two pairs? :)

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #146 of 6,183
And if you had to narrow it down to just two pairs? :)
VC & Atrium only because the VO is more similar to the VC and I like having closed. Once the Atrium is in closed form, it will probably be that and the VO. Although by then I'm sure I'll have a different answer. Certainly makes me wonder how the closed Atrium will differ. It's just my sense, but the critical reception to the VC seems a little better than the VO, with it perhaps making the mids sound a little more forward. With the Atrium though I can't imagine what needs to be improved or what will differentiate it. I'm sure we'll be pleasantly surprised whatever it ends up being.

Apr 10, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #147 of 6,183
VC & Atrium only because the VO is more similar to the VC and I like having closed.
This is exactly my 2-can endgame. :)
Once the Atrium is in closed form, it will probably be that and the VO.
Yeah, I hear ya. I probably won't grab the AC, mostly due to Zach's comments during a recent live stream about it (likely) having less bass than the VC. I wouldn't want less bass than the VC in a closed-back, plus I feel like the speedy Be driver really helps counteract some of the negatives of closed-backs.

Tho, we'll see what Zach comes up with. Either way, it'll no doubt be amazing, I'm just not sure if I'll feel the same affinity towards the AC.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #148 of 6,183

I'm pretty sure this isn't gonna work, but I'll try anyway...

Don't. Don't do it. It shouldn't matter that this has the new Atrium Damping System, which provides for the soundstage that everybody is raving about -- because let's be honest, you haven't heard it so you have no idea what you're missing. IOW, nowhere in your audible memory does that staging exist for you, so there's nothing to miss. Nor do you need any of the wood options being offered now, because while we may all want certain wood offerings, we don't technically need any of them. You're all set, just ignore us. :thumbsup:

Apr 11, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #149 of 6,183
I wouldn't know - my ZMF hasn't shipped yet and my Woo's are sitting here all lonely....
You're in for a treat, no doubt about it.
ZMF knock it out the park with this one...
20220411_042756.jpg

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #150 of 6,183
And live happily ever after :slight_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back