ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 16, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #2,401 of 6,229
Greetings all... I am listening to the Atrium tonight for the first time. Thank you, Zach! It sounds great. I think most of you already know this, so I am not exactly reinventing the wheel with these comments. My first impressions are as follows...

1. Speed is terrific. The sound is extremely coherent with tremendous pacing.
2. Percussion Instruments sound wonderful. Especially if the band has two drummers. I can hear both drummers clearly in the mix.
3. Instrument Placement and Imaging are spot on. Thus far this is my biggest take-away. They image beautifully and I love how easily they present the accuracy of the band on stage.
4. Comfort is off the charts. ZMF has finally married materials, weight and overall fit perfectly. This isn't to say that other ZMF headphones aren't comfortable, but the Atrium is by far the most comfortable ZMF I have worn.

Currently listening to them with the OFC 1/4" cable through my Exogal Comet+ and my Icon Audio HP8.

I will have a lot more to say and will write a proper review in the next month or so. Super excited to be listening to ZMF's latest creation.

Aug 16, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #2,402 of 6,229
Coming home to these after a late work night. Don’t think I’ll be sleeping much…

7B767C00-A355-4ADB-8400-C94A4140BD8C.jpeg

9296C1DF-27AB-421D-8FB1-AEDC5DF6235B.jpeg

B7A935C3-7963-465D-A2A2-56635A3440B1.jpeg

Attachments

• 68B3872F-2B5C-47A4-A44B-0F58A2B27980.jpeg
    68B3872F-2B5C-47A4-A44B-0F58A2B27980.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Aug 16, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #2,403 of 6,229
Coming home to these after a late work night. Don’t think I’ll be sleeping much…

7B767C00-A355-4ADB-8400-C94A4140BD8C.jpeg
9296C1DF-27AB-421D-8FB1-AEDC5DF6235B.jpeg
B7A935C3-7963-465D-A2A2-56635A3440B1.jpeg
Great setup! I absolutely love the documentation and owner's guide that ZMF is now including with the cans, too!

Aug 16, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #2,404 of 6,229
I traded my aged cherry Atrium for this Atrium and I already miss listening to them! Lol. Now the wait is on until Thursday! The VC will have to get some well needed love in the meantime!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220814-204419_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220814-204419_Chrome.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220816-153408_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220816-153408_Chrome.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220814-064325_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220814-064325_Chrome.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 16, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #2,405 of 6,229
My Atrium's got delivered earlier this morning. These are pretty poor pictures from an iPhone but the wood looks incredible. I love the matching blonde streak on the back of the cups. This piece of cocobolo is definitely more chocolate in color with less reddish hues, and looks very unique. I'm extremely happy with the wood selection Zach & team made for my pair, they compliment my Koa VC's nicely.

This is a good example of the whole conundrum with wood. The cocobolo was a pass for me because what the photos on the website show were not my cup of tea. This, on the other hand, is gorgeous and I would buy this in a second. It's honestly hard to believe they're both supposed to be the same wood. The problem then becomes: if I were to order my own pair what would I receive? A pair that looks like this or a pair that looks like the ones on the website? Both outcomes are a possibility.

Variation is to be expected when working with natural materials but sometimes the sheer degree of variation is just beyond what one might be prepared for.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #2,406 of 6,229
This is a good example of the whole conundrum with wood. The cocobolo was a pass for me because what the photos on the website show were not my cup of tea. This, on the other hand, is gorgeous and I would buy this in a second. It's honestly hard to believe they're both supposed to be the same wood. The problem then becomes: if I were to order my own pair what would I receive? A pair that looks like this or a pair that looks like the ones on the website? Both outcomes are a possibility.

Variation is to be expected when working with natural materials but sometimes the sheer degree of variation is just beyond what one might be prepared for.
If you leave a note at checkout we do our very best to get close to what you might want (within reason). Like if you left a note that you do or don't want sap-wood, or prefer quartered or rift sawn look.

There are requests we can't accommodate, and we can never make any promises, but we do try.

In the future - for those who do really care a lot about the look of specific woods and such, we will try out a custom shop type ordering (which will cost more) where you get to pick your specific cups and have other aesthetic options. This is a ways off, and for now we will keep doing the limited and spec runs with special models as well as the stock woods.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 16, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #2,407 of 6,229
I traded my aged cherry Atrium for this Atrium and I already miss listening to them! Lol. Now the wait is on until Thursday! The VC will have to get some well needed love in the meantime!

These look familiar... :)

Congrats!

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #2,408 of 6,229
In the future - for those who do really care a lot about the look of specific woods and such, we will try out a custom shop type ordering (which will cost more) where you get to pick your specific cups and have other aesthetic options. This is a ways off
I like the sound of that

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #2,409 of 6,229
Has anyone found a transit case that works well? I change countries a couple times a year and haven't found a headphone I like more after hearing them in Singapore. I would have bought them, the case was just too large for me to travel with at the time.

Since they lay flat, something similar to the wood display case in plastic or similar?

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #2,410 of 6,229
Somewhere in the description it says that the image of the wood on the photo when ordering will/may differ when you receive it later.
And you also accept the general terms and conditions.
So you know what you are buying and it will be a surprise.

In one respect, it has to be said that we humans are spoiled.
We like to buy what we see in the picture.

The other thing I personally don't like is the picture on the homepage.
Again, it's okay to get an idea, but what I miss, and I think others do too, is to see a nice photo in real life.
To just get a feeling for how it can look.
Similar to this link here:
https://headphone.shop/de/product/feliks-audio-euforia/

It sounds stupid but there are also people who have no imagination and can't imagine it.
Only when you see it and then it's a matter of like it or not.

Still, I hardly think Zmf has excessive returns because of the optics.
If so, then maybe they are isolated cases.

What can be done?
An authentic photo would certainly be helpful in the sale, I guess.

Adding an option if you want a lighter or darker wood would be nice and the rest is up to Zmf.
But then you have to take into account that the delivery might be delayed, and that's the other point Zmf would like to improve.
I can still remember the time when you sometimes had to wait 6 months for it.
That would be almost unimaginable today.
If one were to accept that with such an option, then I would have to reckon with the fact that it could possibly take longer.
The question is also whether this is at all feasible in terms of wood availability.
That can be difficult with an LTD edition.
That is something where Zmf would have to know in advance how many units could be offered where lighter and darker.
An Encounter would then be helpful in the ordering process as an example 10 light units and 20 dark units would be available, but whether it would sell better is another matter.
In the end it remains a surprise.

The easier method would be to contact the support and talk to them.
I think if you ask nicely they are happy to help and do their best to accommodate small requests.

The one picture with the atrium where it's actually purple instead of brown I would personally say is a misrepresentation.
That can happen and I don't think it was intentional.
Of all the Hot Summer Cups, that was a headset that was displayed in an unfortunate way.
At Zmf, too, only people work, not machines.
It's also nice to see that two people have found each other and made a swap and both will be happy with it.
That is also worth something and is a great action by the two people.
We can only wish you lots of fun and joy with it and congratulations on the happy ending.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #2,411 of 6,229
Has anyone found a transit case that works well? I change countries a couple times a year and haven't found a headphone I like more after hearing them in Singapore. I would have bought them, the case was just too large for me to travel with at the time.

Since they lay flat, something similar to the wood display case in plastic or similar?
The large size slappa case works pretty well.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 16, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #2,415 of 6,229

Users who are viewing this thread

Back