ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 13, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #2,371 of 6,231
My Atrium's got delivered earlier this morning. These are pretty poor pictures from an iPhone but the wood looks incredible. I love the matching blonde streak on the back of the cups. This piece of cocobolo is definitely more chocolate in color with less reddish hues, and looks very unique. I'm extremely happy with the wood selection Zach & team made for my pair, they compliment my Koa VC's nicely.

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg
wow, i am so torn between ordering a cocobolo or waiting for zmf november...

Aug 13, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #2,372 of 6,231
Those are gorgeous, Thaddy!

Aug 13, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #2,373 of 6,231
Here’s another with my other LTD’s. Koa VC’s and Camphor Burl Aeolus. This represents the color of the Cocobolo pretty well.

AC4CEA9C-AD5D-4B17-9390-A5C32197130E.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #2,374 of 6,231
With a small company I’d assume you got support first and pursued that before posting about feeling bamboozled. Personally that’s what I’d do, and I see them as more of a purple brown in the site pics. People make mistakes and should be given time to address them.

Aug 13, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #2,375 of 6,231
Out of curiousity have you demoed or considered the susvaras, since you have the niimbus amp which is extremely well suited to the susvaras? (and that’s before we take personal preferences into consideration in this subjective hobby of ours)
I have got the niimbus just one month ago. Therefore I did not consider the susvara so far. Maybe I should give them a listen.

Aug 13, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #2,376 of 6,231
With a small company I’d assume you got support first and pursued that before posting about feeling bamboozled. Personally that’s what I’d do, and I see them as more of a purple brown in the site pics. People make mistakes and should be given time to address them.

Raise your hand if you see purple here... 🖐

Not at all, right? It's clearly a shade of brown in this picture. Let's check the actual color (RGB)...

Yep, that's brown alright...same as the text in the marketing label. So, why am I asking?

This thing is PURPLE. What the...? And you might be thinking "Are you sure? It looks like you just put it in certain lighting to make it look purple." Nope:

Wow...feeling pretty bamboozled right about now. You'd think someone would've had the foresight (and 5-7 seconds it takes) to list the color on a pair of three-thousand dollar headphones. I'm not mad, just disappointed. When spending this type of money on something, especially when it's not cancelable or returnable, it better be well represented BEFORE the time of purchase.

Now to find a buyer out there who likes purple...
I do not see an email from you, have you sent us one? And if you're not mad I'd appreciate you communicating directly with us. I am here to help.

Also would you mind taking a photo in normal light instead of bright sunlight?

I do my best to represent the headphones of what they will look like without bright sunlight or in a dark room as I take them in a light box with a color temp between daylight and 3200.

The picture shows a purple brown and that's what you'll find if you look at them in a more normal lighting setting. Like anything visual, lighting is everything.

I am sorry you don't like purple, but please remember, there are a myriad of factors here between male vision (where colors vary a lot), your monitor used when purchasing, and the lighting you're seeing them in in person.

We will list the colors next time to try to mitigate this risk, we have never had an issue like this before.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 13, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #2,377 of 6,231
Got my stabilized set this past Thursday as well! I have to say I LOVE the way they look! The chatoyant finish is beautiful, and the brown leather in the headband and the stock pads (not shown in this set of photos) is also gorgeous.

But… I do agree that the website pictures set a different expectation. They looked more vibrant, and the Green/Blue looked brighter, while in person it’s a much darker green (in some areas close to black). I think the website photos should match the color of the real thing as closely as possible, and I don’t think they did in this particular case.

With that said, the craftsmanship is impeccable! The photos just set a different expectation, and didn’t do this gorgeous piece of art the justice it deserved.

EF3A4893-9DFB-4608-8590-44D4DCAF16FA.jpeg

Attachments

• EB9EFD2F-BDF9-40BF-AF5D-7579BB5DAFBC.jpeg
    EB9EFD2F-BDF9-40BF-AF5D-7579BB5DAFBC.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • A9A72085-49DC-4B07-BEE6-44EC4523CEDE.jpeg
    A9A72085-49DC-4B07-BEE6-44EC4523CEDE.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 8B0B7F71-268A-46D0-A407-D8E4F7EE303C.jpeg
    8B0B7F71-268A-46D0-A407-D8E4F7EE303C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • C4B12B89-FED6-4714-AC84-8630FE7AF211.jpeg
    C4B12B89-FED6-4714-AC84-8630FE7AF211.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 0B73A49F-30C2-458C-B20D-C4BE92867074.jpeg
    0B73A49F-30C2-458C-B20D-C4BE92867074.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #2,378 of 6,231
Gold and caramel (i.e., both still generally various forms of neutral on the color spectrum) sound great to me! I wouldn’t be disappointed with those either.

It should have. That's my point: if you're going to bother with memorializing the color on a wooden card, why not include the information on the website?
Found your order and sent you an email. Please respond to that and we can have a discussion there and make sure you're satisfied in email.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 13, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #2,379 of 6,231
Got my stabilized set this past Thursday as well! I have to say I LOVE the way they look! The chatoyant finish is beautiful, and the brown leather in the headband and the stock pads (not shown in this set of photos) is also gorgeous.

But… I do agree that the website pictures set a different expectation. They looked more vibrant, and the Green/Blue looked brighter, while in person it’s a much darker green (in some areas close to black). I think the website photos should match the color of the real thing as closely as possible, and I don’t think they did in this particular case.

With that said, the craftsmanship is impeccable! The photos just set a different expectation, and didn’t do this gorgeous piece of art the justice it deserved.

I take the photos with professional lighting in a light box (with very expensive and nice equipment) , and color correct based on that lighting to the most realistic look I can get with the headphones next to me. I simply don't have time to take them in a myriad of lighting settings that you will see in person. I think there has to be an understanding that we are a professional retailer and manufacturer of headphones, and if you want to take professional photos of the same headphone you received, you will get professional results. If you take them with your phone in random daylit rooms, you will get other results. And that's how most of the time you will view them. Again expectations have to be set based on environment.

We want everyone to be really happy with their headphones, and if there's an issue, please email us directly.

Last edited:

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #2,380 of 6,231

I do love the look of these. I see what you mean with more vibrant on the website picture, but don't think that the difference is so big that one would call it misleading (like the purple example from earlier)

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #2,381 of 6,231
I do love the look of these. I see what you mean with more vibrant on the website picture, but don't think that the difference is so big that one would call it misleading (like the purple example from earlier)
Absolutely! Definitely agree, and don’t mean to imply the website pictures are misleading, it just looks more vibrant.

But I think when you are buying a one-of-a-kind product online, it’s easy for people to have expectations that don’t match the real thing, so minimizing that with perhaps another photo in a non-studio setting would have been a good option.

That may not be feasible (as Zach mentioned above in response to my post), but it would certainly help - especially in cases like the Purple/Brown set.

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #2,382 of 6,231
Just got the email that my Cocobolo Atrium is in assembly so just a few more weeks to go.

Congrats buddy! The Atrium is such a wonderful headphone. At home after long listening it sounds even better than how we originally heard it in Chicago...:wink: Enjoy!!!

These look gorgeous, it would take you half a second.

I have got the niimbus just one month ago. Therefore I did not consider the susvara so far. Maybe I should give them a listen.

You should. The Susvara are exceptional. I alternate frequently between the Atrium and the Susvara as they offer a different listening experience, with each being thoroughly enjoyable. If you are able to have both in your collection.. do it :)

Got my stabilized set this past Thursday as well! I have to say I LOVE the way they look!

These look awesome!

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #2,383 of 6,231
Absolutely! Definitely agree, and don’t mean to imply the website pictures are misleading, it just looks more vibrant.

But I think when you are buying a one-of-a-kind product online, it’s easy for people to have expectations that don’t match the real thing, so minimizing that with perhaps another photo in a non-studio setting would have been a good option.

That may not be feasible (as Zach mentioned above in response to my post), but it would certainly help - especially in cases like the Purple/Brown set.
I like them so much I saved Some images, maybe I can get something similar at some point

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #2,384 of 6,231
Yes. I would strongly recommend to not overlook demoing susvaras and seeing how they suit you. They are somewhat laid back in nature, for me, and extremely transparent

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #2,385 of 6,231
Raise your hand if you see purple here... 🖐

confection.png

Not at all, right? It's clearly a shade of brown in this picture. Let's check the actual color (RGB)...

color.png

Yep, that's brown alright...same as the text in the marketing label. So, why am I asking?

Photo Aug 13, 11 18 37 AM.jpg

This thing is PURPLE. What the...? And you might be thinking "Are you sure? It looks like you just put it in certain lighting to make it look purple." Nope:

card.png

Wow...feeling pretty bamboozled right about now. You'd think someone would've had the foresight (and 5-7 seconds it takes) to list the color on a pair of three-thousand dollar headphones. I'm not mad, just disappointed. When spending this type of money on something, especially when it's not cancelable or returnable, it better be well represented BEFORE the time of purchase.

I'll trade you my Atrium aged cherry with magnesium chasis and some cash! Lol. I normally don't like purple but those are beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back