ZMF Atrium Closed
Mar 26, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #361 of 3,270
I've had the pleasure of listening to the Atrium Closed for almost a week now. Right from the start I was like, "WOW, I really missed that ZMF closed back sound!" There's something special about the staging, extra bass and reverb.

I always intended to get a pair of Verite Closed, but life got in the way, or rather the Atrium Open came out. Then the Auteur Classic... and the Caldera. Good problems to have I guess. Anyways, I've just been jamming with the stock pads and really loving the AC. It's pretty close to the AO, but with a few welcome differences. For me, the AC is a FUN headphone, especially with that BASS! One of the big things that made the Atrium Open so great was how the bass was voluminous, but it never quite got in the way. The AC's bass takes that concept to another level. It feels like it's wrapped around everything and helps create such a huge sound for a closed back. I'm especially enjoying pop, hip-hop and electronic music with the AC, but nothing has sounded bad.

I'm still just getting an overall feel of the Atrium Closed, so I'll start investigating more in depth in the upcoming weeks. I plan on swapping on the Suede pads sometime next week and Zach has a few new pads that might be viable for the AC. I should get to check those pads out if they're gtg.

Excited to hear your impressions as they unfold!

I've found the AC to continue improve over time (they really do keep changing in the first few hundred hours). It's become my go-to closed back. Wonderful, wonderful headphones.

Mar 26, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #362 of 3,270
I've been noticing that people seem to be pretty evenly split regarding the pads. Some prefer the stock, others prefer the suede.

Mar 26, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #363 of 3,270
I've been noticing that people seem to be pretty evenly split regarding the pads. Some prefer the stock, others prefer the suede.
The bass is reduced from what I've read, so that makes sense. I could easily see some people find that the bass w/lambskin pads is a little too bombastic.

I've found the AC to continue improve over time (they really do keep changing in the first few hundred hours). It's become my go-to closed back. Wonderful, wonderful headphones.
Yea, I usually burn in new ZMF's for at least 100+ hours, but these had a quite lot of time on them according to Zach. They do sound plenty broken in.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #364 of 3,270
Roon's discovery algorithm always surfaces obscure discoveries. This jazz/vocal acoustic recording is really quite wonderul on the AC with some tubes... listening to it end-to-end, sharing half way through...

1679876083019.png

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #365 of 3,270

Love to hear your enthusiasm has just continued to grow and grow with your ownership of the Atrium Closed. Being your go-to when you have the VC as well is high praise. April can’t come soon enough, excited for many more owners and many more reviews :)

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #366 of 3,270
Having my last listen for a week as we head on vacation in an hour or so. I should be getting ready, but instead of I am listening to the AC on the CFA3. I, too, miss that ZMF closed back sound. I also have never owned a VC, although I have meant to a half a dozen times or so. Something always got in my way. Auteur OG, Solitaire P-Se, Atrium Open, Code X, etc... Now that I have the AC in house I know it isn't a headphone I want to live without. It is so much FUN! Have a great week listening and I can't wait to see how many more pages the AC thread has by the time I am back with this headphone on my head.

One of my favorite things about the AC is that it is easy to pair, although it sounds very different depending on the amp and dac. I have yet to find a pairing that I don't like. Whether it is the CFA3, HP8 with the Cen.Grand DSD DAC 1.0, or the Meier Corda Soul or R28; every pairing has its own way with the AC that is magical. I love the way it sounds every which way.

Mar 26, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #367 of 3,270
Mar 27, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #368 of 3,270
When we auditioned the AC at SG Canjam, the Zeppelin team decided to use the suede pads for the test units because they said it’s more neutral for the majority while the lambskin might be more polarizing. I enjoyed the suede during the audition but I am also currently having fun with the lambskins at home. Have a couple of days’ burn in on them already and they sound great both in my solid state (Burson Soloist GT) as well as tubes (Cayin HA-3A).

Mar 27, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #369 of 3,270
“If I can’t be a peaceful man, I will be who I can” JM

Here are a couple pictures of the face angle/slant of the AC compared to the VC face slant. Oh that slant!!!

Sorry about the early morning mini XLR 4 pin female housing shots!

First picture is with VC on top as she prefers to be.

The second picture shows the slant well with the VC Leopard wood spooning on our left.

thumbnail_IMG_1351.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1353.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #370 of 3,270
Mar 27, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #372 of 3,270
I'm listening to it now, very nice. Check out Melody Gardot

1679952921834.png

I love her stuff. The track “Over the rainbow” from this album is sublime

Mar 27, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #373 of 3,270
Mar 28, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #375 of 3,270
Is it lighter than the atrium open type?

The stock model weighs approx. 500 grams (about 30 grams less with a Magnesium chassis)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back