ZMF Atrium Closed
Jul 2, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #1,471 of 3,200
I've been in possession of my AC olivewood for about a week now, but with limited listening time. Really enjoying everything about them, even at this early stage. Having kept up with the thread since the first post, I knew that I might prefer the suede pads from what others have reported. I tried resisting the temptation to switch to them, but after one week here I am and wow, the difference is serious. For me the stock leather pads don't let the vocals come fully alive, but the suede immediately infuse that immediacy to the music and open up the emotions. So that's already clear for my ears this early on.

But a question. All my other ZMFs and their multitude of pads have the seam facing in front (so 3 o'clock). I saw that the stock leather pads had the seam at 6 o'clock. But I was surprised to see that the suedes have it at 12 o'clock (based on the thickest part being at the back and the thinnest in front). Is that correct, for everyone, or do I just have an unusual pair of the suedes?

Jul 2, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #1,472 of 3,200
I've been in possession of my AC olivewood for about a week now, but with limited listening time. Really enjoying everything about them, even at this early stage. Having kept up with the thread since the first post, I knew that I might prefer the suede pads from what others have reported. I tried resisting the temptation to switch to them, but after one week here I am and wow, the difference is serious. For me the stock leather pads don't let the vocals come fully alive, but the suede immediately infuse that immediacy to the music and open up the emotions. So that's already clear for my ears this early on.

But a question. All my other ZMFs and their multitude of pads have the seam facing in front (so 3 o'clock). I saw that the stock leather pads had the seam at 6 o'clock. But I was surprised to see that the suedes have it at 12 o'clock (based on the thickest part being at the back and the thinnest in front). Is that correct, for everyone, or do I just have an unusual pair of the suedes?
That's correct for all versions of Caldera pads. Edit-sorry misread, correct for both is 6 o'clock.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #1,473 of 3,200
That's correct for all versions of Caldera pads.

But my understanding is that both pads for the AC are "Caldera" pads. So are we saying the Caldera leather pads (the ones that come on the headphone from ZMF) are 6 o'clock seam and the Caldera suede pads are 12 o'clock seam? You see what I mean, they are both Caldera pads but they have this difference.

Which is absolutely fine, I just want to make sure I am not doing something wrong despite the thick part being at the back.

Jul 2, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #1,474 of 3,200
But my understanding is that both pads for the AC are "Caldera" pads. So are we saying the Caldera leather pads (the ones that come on the headphone from ZMF) are 6 o'clock seam and the Caldera suede pads are 12 o'clock seam? You see what I mean, they are both Caldera pads but they have this difference.

Which is absolutely fine, I just want to make sure I am not doing something wrong despite the thick part being at the back.

Hope this helps clarify:
  • All Caldera pads (leather, suede, all other vairants) - the seam faces down
  • All other pads (universe pads, Auteur pads, etc) - the seam faces forward

Jul 2, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #1,475 of 3,200

Also there is a left and right Caldera pad. The seam should never be at 12, always at 6 in line with the jack. If they're both at 12 then they're probably each on the wrong cup.

Jul 2, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #1,477 of 3,200
Jul 3, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #1,478 of 3,200
Jul 3, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #1,479 of 3,200
Yes, the Caldera Suede pads are deeper. These also change the sound profile a bit, to the better for some.

Others prefer the stock Caldera Lamb Thin pads which you are using.

Info about both is in this thread further above. The only way to know is to try both, which I’d highly would encourage everyone to do.

Yes, it is a very good idea to always unplug your headphones from a tube and before turning it on or off.

What do you hear are the radical voltage swings of a tube anmp powering up or down. Those crackling sounds are at best unpleasant, at worst damaging.
Thanks for your reply.

About the plugging and unplugging of headphones with tube amps, I have made it my routine to do already.
Just makes me wonder how the connectors will hold up over time at both ends.....

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #1,481 of 3,200
Thanks for your reply.

About the plugging and unplugging of headphones with tube amps, I have made it my routine to do already.
Just makes me wonder how the connectors will hold up over time at both ends.....

Should be no problem.. good move

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #1,482 of 3,200
Wood synergy

A real privilege to have such handmade craftsmanship

IMG_6535.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #1,483 of 3,200
Wood synergy

Feeling a real send privilege to have such handmade craftsmanship

IMG_6535.jpeg
I've been checking in to see when these will drop again...he says soon but that was a month ago.

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #1,484 of 3,200
Jul 3, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #1,485 of 3,200
The grain on that Atrium closed is just amazing

Those caught my eye the first second of CanJam NYC when I went to ZMF to say hi. It was as if my hands reached out faster than my brain..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back