ZMF Atrium Closed
Apr 23, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #586 of 3,270
New Video is up with some measurements and Eikon stuffs:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 23, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #587 of 3,270
Hey all AC fans... I am having a nice lazy Sunday afternoon with the AC through my Icon HP8. I rolled in some Raytheon 6SN7GTs (1959) and a Raytheon CK 5751. I changed back to the lambskin Caldera pads. I always seem to gravitate back to lambskin. The Suede get a little hot on my ears, and I love the hole dimensions of the lambskin around my ears which definitely opens up the staging laterally while still having great front to back depth. The image is very stable. I have been spending a lot of time comparing the AC to my TH-900 Pearl White MK2. These two headphones couldn't be more different to my ears. I love them both. The Pearl White is so fast with great snap. The AC is smooth and musical with more depth and weight behind the notes. It is a more physical listening experience for me.

I have really enjoyed reading and watching reviews. I agree with @goldwerger that pad rolling makes a big difference, but from what I have read the AC has more impact with wood density than most ZMFs. I don't know this to be true from listening, but hopefully I will be able to answer that question soon enough. I have always recommended that people buy a ZMF first and foremost by how it looks as they are all tuned similarly in their family. There are subtle changes, but the most important thing is to get the one you really like aesthetically. I am excited to hear a hardwood variant and put this theory and recommendation to the test. I will be the first to say that I am wrong, that wood density does impact the overall listening experience with the AC when I get that chance.

The AC has become my favorite closed back headphone over the past month. I simply adore the way it sounds... I love that it is extremely flexible with my chain. I love it on all my amps. Generally I go straight for my HP8 with my ZMFs. With the Corda Soul it sounds refined, fast and nimble with faster transience and decay. On the CFA3 it sounds more linear with incredible top end resolution. The CFA3 is just an incredible amp with treble. On the HP8 it sounds romantic, sweet, with timbral colorations and a meaty bottom end while still possessing an open and articulate midrange. The treble shimmers and I can open up the sound with a bit brighter tubes or I can give it more dynamics by going from a 12AX7 to a 12AT7 which lowers the gain by 40%.

The best part is that I can hear all of these changes and no matter the synergy it sounds fantastic. I love the differences and enjoy them all. My favorite combo thus far is the HP8 with my Cen.Grand Super Clock DAC. The background is dead silent, the image is full and sounds swirl around my head coming at me in all directions. Coupled with the stability of the bass and impact of the drums, it allows the rest of the instruments to peak in and out and I can move with the pocket. There is plenty of headroom and image specificity is right on point. Tone is spot on and dare I say, but it is an extremely analog sound. Not a term I use very often, but it sounds as analog as my system gets without a record player and phono preamp.

I can wax on and on. The AC envelopes you with sound! I guess I could have just skipped everything above and just said that. The AC envelopes you with sound!

Apr 23, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #588 of 3,270
The Suede get a little hot on my ears, and I love the hole dimensions of the lambskin around my ears which definitely opens up the staging laterally while still having great front to back depth.
I agree with @goldwerger that pad rolling makes a big difference, but from what I have read the AC has more impact with wood density than most ZMFs. I don't know this to be true from listening, but hopefully I will be able to answer that question soon enough.

I had the opposite take on soundstage, as I've found the Caldera Thin Lamskin had a limited soundstage, more of typical closed back one; the Caldera Suede pads dramatically opened up the soundstage for me. This proves what we all know - we really are all wired to hear things a little differently :) That said - I agree with that pad rolling makes for the bigger sonic impact. True for other ZMF headphones, as it is true for the AC. Whatever one likes (and many, like you and like monsterzero, prefer the lamb), we would all hear big difference between the two. I would recommend to anyone to try both, as you are nearly certain to love one of them!

The wood choice on the AC though makes a bigger difference than on other headphones, so try it out... :wink:

I, too, usually prefer lamb pads as I like the feeling of leather against my skin. But I've grown used to the suede on the AC and now find them now very comfortable as well.

Apr 23, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #589 of 3,270
I had the opposite take on soundstage, as I've found the Caldera Thin Lamskin had a limited soundstage, more of typical closed back one; the Caldera Suede pads dramatically opened up the soundstage for me. This proves what we all know - we really are all wired to hear things a little differently :) That said - I agree with that pad rolling makes for the bigger sonic impact. True for other ZMF headphones, as it is true for the AC. Whatever one likes (and many, like you and like monsterzero, prefer the lamb), we would all hear big difference between the two. I would recommend to anyone to try both, as you are nearly certain to love one of them!

The wood choice on the AC though makes a bigger difference than on other headphones, so try it out... :wink:

I, too, usually prefer lamb pads as I like the feeling of leather against my skin. But I've grown used to the suede on the AC and now find them now very comfortable as well.
I like the suede’s, but don’t love the feeling of the pads against my skin. I can’t use Be2 pads either. My ears are too big and they are right against the inside of the pad and my ears get smoking hot after about 10-15 minutes. Total bummer as I love the AO with the Be2, but can’t handle the heat. So, I get out of the kitchen…:)

Apr 23, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #590 of 3,270
I just dropped my impression of the Closed Atrium today on my channel. I'm hesitant to call it a full review because I'll still do more things with it. More of a beginning experience with it. (I do say review in the video but I don't think that highly of my opinion ha!)
The pads make a big difference to sound for me and was probably the most unique on this then even the open Atrium was.

It's got that low end typical closed back bass that you can and should get. However it just sounds so open at times I am amazed by that. It's the ADS that Zach has done so well with. Also the amps make a difference as they do with other ZMF's. I found I needed more power for this even then the open Atrium which was interesting. My next goal for the AC is to do a comparison to the open Atrium...then probably mix in the Radiance and Noire that I have.

I just love and enjoy ZMF's and the house sound. Measurements be damned, it's just a great listen to me.

I'll provide the link to my video to those who care to watch but really just wanted to chime in and say well done to Zach! The sound variations to wood variation interests me here and curious to see if this does become a thing. I did notice that the Olivewood is a bit heavier spec wise then the Cherry that I have on hand.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #591 of 3,270
I can’t use Be2 pads either. My ears are too big and they are right against the inside of the pad and my ears get smoking hot after about 10-15 minutes. Total bummer as I love the AO with the Be2, but can’t handle the heat.

The Be2 wouldn't work sonically with the AC which is built for Caldera pads, so you are not missing out on anything :)

(just to clarity for any future reader who may read this chain later, I am referring specifically to the Caldera suede pads)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #592 of 3,270
The Be2 wouldn't work sonically with the AC which is built for Caldera pads, so you are not missing out on anything :)

(just to clarity for any future reader who may read this chain later, I am referring specifically to the Caldera suede pads)
Agreed. I meant with the AO for the Be2.

Apr 23, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #593 of 3,270
The VC for a very long time was my favorite headphone and I still hold it in very high regard, so I don't think it will ever be replaced. The AC is a very fun listen, whereas the VC is more of a technical yet musical listen.

I think theyre different enough to warrant owning both without being redundant, but of the entire ZMF lineup i would say that the Caldera and AC would be the combo that offers the greatest degree of variance.
Yeah, I'm definitely thinking about buying an AC. That's good to know about the Caldera + AC being the most expansive combo.

Appreciate the help!

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #595 of 3,270
Friday can't come soon enough! Am getting quite hyped! This would be my first ZMF. Hoping to pair it with an AO or VO in the coming Nov b-stock sales.

For those who has bought sets on opening day, how crazy does it get? Do I have to hop on Friday exactly at launch time and fight to get a set? 😅

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #596 of 3,270
Friday can't come soon enough! Am getting quite hyped! This would be my first ZMF. Hoping to pair it with an AO or VO in the coming Nov b-stock sales.

For those who has bought sets on opening day, how crazy does it get? Do I have to hop on Friday exactly at launch time and fight to get a set? 😅
I do. I sit and chain refresh then order immediately.

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #597 of 3,270
Yeah, I'm definitely thinking about buying an AC. That's good to know about the Caldera + AC being the most expansive combo.

Appreciate the help!
You'll still end up buying more ZMF. It's an addiction.

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #599 of 3,270
New Video is up with some measurements and Eikon stuffs:

Thank you for this! It's interesting seeing the FR and how close it follows Harman (for a ZMF!). Most of the reviews I've been reading about say the AC is not a very neutral sounding headphone unlike the AO. Maybe a lot of those reviews are in reference to the lambskin vs. the suede since it seems the suede follows the Harman line more closely.

The one thing I've been worrying about with the AC in reading reviews is everyone seems to say the same thing about the recessed mids, but the mids were THE reason I loved the AO so much. I'm wondering if the suede pads would be necessary for me since I'm not a particular fan of mids being too forward/sharp sounding of course but I don't want them to be recessed either

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #600 of 3,270
Thank you for this! It's interesting seeing the FR and how close it follows Harman (for a ZMF!). Most of the reviews I've been reading about say the AC is not a very neutral sounding headphone unlike the AO. Maybe a lot of those reviews are in reference to the lambskin vs. the suede since it seems the suede follows the Harman line more closely.

The one thing I've been worrying about with the AC in reading reviews is everyone seems to say the same thing about the recessed mids, but the mids were THE reason I loved the AO so much. I'm wondering if the suede pads would be necessary for me since I'm not a particular fan of mids being too forward/sharp sounding of course but I don't want them to be recessed either
I think "recessed" gets tossed around as a dirty audiophile word in a weird way which is strange since many prefer a laid back presentation like you and me!

Truth be told - I purposely tuned the upper mids a little back on the AC due to finding that the upper mids need to be a little further back on closed headphones due to the nature of cup reflections. That being said I don't feel the mids are recessed - just not as forward as the AO (which at times can be too much for some). They are still more forward than any Verite variant.

As far as suede pads, every set will come with the Stock Caldera thin Lamb and Caldera Suede pads, so you won't have a choice but to get them. I definitely think every owner should try each, as I still highly prefer the lambskin, but totally see the merit and why so many people like the suede pads. It more comes down to whether you prefer a more liquid slightly bombastic presentation or a more linear harman type thing.

For Cherry VS Olive; the Cherry I find more forgiving in the upper mids and for a lot of music, can be easier on the ears if you're someone who prefers an easier sound. The Olive has a closer to Atrium Open tonality due to the slightly greater speed which creates a sense of more upper mids. This is along with the bass changes that has been well documented in reviews and on this thread.

Hope this helps!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back