ZMF Atrium Closed
Apr 21, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #571 of 3,270
I will defer to some of our more astute tubeologysts on that one. I believe the 7802 drops the impedance farther than either the 421a or the 5998, but don't quote me on that. Perhaps @L0rdGwyn can clarify?

The output impedance is slightly lower than the 5998 or 421A by 2ohms or so. Not a massive difference, but the higher transconductance is definitely reflected in the sound. Output impedance with 5998 around 32 ohms, with 6AS7G or 6080 around 50ohms.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #573 of 3,270
How much difference does the wood hardness have on AC? Are we talking about as big a difference as swapping pads, or is it more subtle?

Speaking of pads, I have Universe hybrid and Auteur hybrid pads on my VC. Would they work with AC as well?

In my heart of hearts I would probably gravitate towards the maximum bass goodness of the softer woods, but I can’t resist the looks of the Olive wood. Knowing that the difference would be more subtle just might tip me over to order the Olive wood on launch.

Then again, the Queensland Maple AC in this thread is drop-dead gorgeous. Should we expect more of them coming at some point? Because I think I could wait for one, if they were to come out in the summer or fall.

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #574 of 3,270
How much difference does the wood hardness have on AC? Are we talking about as big a difference as swapping pads, or is it more subtle?

Pad rolling has a much bigger impact than wood type.

That said, wood choice for the AC has more sonic impact than I’ve seen on prior ZMF models.

Speaking of pads, I have Universe hybrid and Auteur hybrid pads on my VC. Would they work with AC as well?

They would not be good. The AC was tuned with Caldera pads in mind. Currently, the Caldera (lamb) thin & Caldera suedes are the two viable options.

Should we expect more of them coming at some point?

You could visit CanJam Chicago for special ZMF show releases.. or:
sometime over the summer we *might* (don't quote me) do some kind of special run of something, but I'm not sure yet if it will be stabilized or some other something or other.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #576 of 3,270
Pad rolling has a much bigger impact than wood type.

That said, wood choice for the AC has more sonic impact than I’ve seen on prior ZMF models.

They would not be good. The AC was tuned with Caldera pads in mind. Currently, the Caldera (lamb) thin & Caldera suedes are the two viable options.

You could visit CanJam Chicago for special ZMF show releases.. or:

Thanks! In that case and with my ears I don’t think the wood type would play a crucial role with my choice.

CanJam Chicago is not an option for me as I live in Finland, unless I really luck out on a business trip timing. I should be visiting Milwaukee next month for a week or two, and might make another trip there later this year as well.

Maybe I’ll wait and see what the summer has in store.

Apr 22, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #577 of 3,270
Thanks! In that case and with my ears I don’t think the wood type would play a crucial role with my choice.
Go back a couple pages to my review. I literally discuss the differences the wood types makes and how they impact the sound.

Apr 23, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #581 of 3,270
Apr 23, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #583 of 3,270
Apr 23, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #585 of 3,270
I actually watched this the other day and enjoyed it, thank you! It was a pretty thorough breakdown on the AC. Do they compliment your VCs or will they replace them?
The VC for a very long time was my favorite headphone and I still hold it in very high regard, so I don't think it will ever be replaced. The AC is a very fun listen, whereas the VC is more of a technical yet musical listen.

I think theyre different enough to warrant owning both without being redundant, but of the entire ZMF lineup i would say that the Caldera and AC would be the combo that offers the greatest degree of variance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back