ZMF Atrium Closed
Feb 28, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #196 of 3,270
I think you summed it up well. And congrats on the new ZMF! ZMF's line-up is covering the spectrum of musical preferences. I'm considering a closed and may lean toward the VC or a Caldera (closed version upcoming I think?) since I've owned the Atrium-open upon release last year. Only because I also like fast attack, electro, and some heavy-hitting music at times. Not good for my ears I know but sometimes the mood just needs it. And don't want to annoy my family with the open leakage so it justifies a closed ZMF right?
I have not personally tested a VC yet. Will be my next CanJam goal. I've read where many commented the Verite's driver does the attack better. The Atrium is a great all-rounder IMO. If I was limited to only one ZMF, Atrium would be it, open, or closed if more isolation is needed. For relaxed listening it provides that lovely decay, imaging and spaciousness with the new damping that really opened my senses to music. I'm a planar junkie too so Caldera is on my short list. ZMF has my fix.

Based on your preferences, my best guess would be that you may really like the VC. Try it next CanJam..

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #197 of 3,270
I think you summed it up well. And congrats on the new ZMF! ZMF's line-up is covering the spectrum of musical preferences. I'm considering a closed and may lean toward the VC or a Caldera (closed version upcoming I think?) since I've owned the Atrium-open upon release last year. Only because I also like fast attack, electro, and some heavy-hitting music at times. Not good for my ears I know but sometimes the mood just needs it. And don't want to annoy my family with the open leakage so it justifies a closed ZMF right?
I have not personally tested a VC yet. Will be my next CanJam goal. I've read where many commented the Verite's driver does the attack better. The Atrium is a great all-rounder IMO. If I was limited to only one ZMF, Atrium would be it, open, or closed if more isolation is needed. For relaxed listening it provides that lovely decay, imaging and spaciousness with the new damping that really opened my senses to music. I'm a planar junkie too so Caldera is on my short list. ZMF has my fix.

Zach did hint that a closed planar was next but it may be a while since he has just been working on the AC. I only got the stock pads (which are the Caldera Lambskin Stock for the Atrium Closed) but will order the Caldera Suede pads which are supposed to cool the sound down, add some sparkle up top and make the stage a bit wider and attack a bit better. Between the Atrium and the Atrium closed, the closed had more bass obviously and because of that the punch/slam.
The harder wood usually has more punchy bass, along with a little more heft and density on low frequency. Soundstage also project a little bigger when compared to softer woods.

Haven't tried AC though, but based on all other ZMFs I tried that is my conclusion (include Caldera).
I agree that the harder wood makes a difference, at least on the closed backs. It should make less of a difference on the open models. I ended up choosing olive wood partly for the stiffness of the wood and partly for aesthetics.

Attachments

• PXL_20230228_180853121.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230228_180853121.MP.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 28, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #198 of 3,270
It was suggested that verite open was a great pair with lcd5, i have lcd5 and verite closed, whats your take on my comment?
I own both a Resin Stabilized Verite Open and LCD-5, they compliment each other well but it really depends. Are you planning on EQ’ing the LCD-5 or listening to stock tuning.

I use Mitch Barnett’s FIR convolution on my LCD-5 and now that I have my Pendant SE dialed in for my VO the sound signatures are more alike than different. A closed back like a VC (or possibly upcoming AC) might give you more variety.

I could see that being a good pair. I’ve heard the verite open are v shaped. I’ve never tried them but I did have a vc for a while. Biggest thing for me with lcd 5 is lack of soundstage. I think lcd 5 is great with hip hop and pop that kind of sticks out. I do really like it with rock/metal too. I think it depends on what you want from a headphone. What I’ve read I do think the open would be a good fit beside it generally speaking.
Verite Open is not V shaped, it has slightly recessed upper-mids. Which gives it a more laid back feel overall.

LCD-5 does not suffer from lack of sound stage, especially when EQ’d properly and driven properly. It’s more forward in its presentation but delivers complex passages with pinpoint imaging and instrument separation effortlessly and accurately.

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #199 of 3,270
Zach did hint that a closed planar was next but it may be a while since he has just been working on the AC
Zach just posted the other day somewhere that the long rumoured sub $1k portable, low impedance HP is up next.

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #201 of 3,270
I think that is even more exciting than a closed planar IMO. It would be nice to have a set of cans I would not be afraid to bring on a flight with me.
I think that headphone will be a game changer for ZMF. It will act as a gateway to the ZMF sound for the masses, who will still be able to continue to use their Modi/Magni stack and enjoy ZMF headphones to close to max potential, and as you mentioned can be used for travel much easier than any other ZMF headphone.

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #202 of 3,270
Zach did hint that a closed planar was next but it may be a while since he has just been working on the AC.

Zach just posted the other day somewhere that the long rumoured sub $1k portable, low impedance HP is up next.

Yes he shared in other threads coming next later this year is the lower priced closed back aimed to be friendly for on the go

Caldera Closed in the offing later down the road

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #203 of 3,270
at 1K, there will be stiff competition with many IEMs if portability is major consideration. Something like U12T, Monarch Mk2, UM Mest are the king at that price point for portability out of DAP.
for me headphones are more for home use and if I have to go out, I would rather carry IEM if SQ is top priority. Would be interested in design of it but sub 1K headphone may be biggest challenge for ZMF team and I wish them all the luck and hopefully they will come up with a unique product.

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #204 of 3,270
Based on your preferences, my best guess would be that you may really like the VC. Try it next CanJam..
Most definitely, I did not have playlists ready when I was there Saturday. I listen to a wide variety of genres with some music better for bio/dynamics, others for planar/orthodynamic. It was my first CanJam rodeo so I'll be better prepared next time. I don't really want to go down the E-stat rabbit hole.

I think that headphone will be a game changer for ZMF. It will act as a gateway to the ZMF sound for the masses, who will still be able to continue to use their Modi/Magni stack and enjoy ZMF headphones to close to max potential, and as you mentioned can be used for travel much easier than any other ZMF headphone.
I got hooked on ZMF through other gateways like the Fostex dynamics and modded a bit with the T50RP planar DIY kits. I cannot get IEM's to keep a good seal in my ear. Maybe I'm too jittery so I'll need to stay circumaural. On-ear HP's just don't feel right either. I like Dan Clark's folding frame for portability.

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #205 of 3,270
Most definitely, I did not have playlists ready when I was there Saturday. I listen to a wide variety of genres with some music better for bio/dynamics, others for planar/orthodynamic. It was my first CanJam rodeo so I'll be better prepared next time. I don't really want to go down the E-stat rabbit hole.

thread unrelated:
re CanJams, highly recommend having your playlist downloaded onto a DAP with XLR/RCA connectors, or phone with USB connectors (to connect to amps or to dacs, depending on the variances you like to test for). wifi connection is always spotty

based on your music preferences, I would not go estat. it's a rabbit hole alright, but a great one, but for hard hitting music it's the most difficult of all journeys... Verite fast drivers would suit you much better I'm guessing. but you can test all their cans in one canjam.. :wink:

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #206 of 3,270
Atrium Closed (Black & White Ebony)

AC 1.jpg

AC2.jpg

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #207 of 3,270
Verite fast drivers would suit you much better I'm guessing. but you can test all their cans in one canjam.. :wink:
I'm considering a closed and may lean toward the VC or a Caldera (closed version upcoming I think?) since I've owned the Atrium-open upon release last year. Only because I also like fast attack, electro, and some heavy-hitting music at times.
The VC really is an amazing complement to the Atrium. This is precisely why I have both. I use the VC for heavy-hitting genres and the Atrium for everything else. Thing is, they're both also quite versatile and could easily just go based on mood too.

I find myself enjoying metal and EDM with the Atrium from time to time.

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #208 of 3,270
Atrium Closed (Black & White Ebony)

Mind blowingly stunning! I had a pair of modded Grados in Zebrawood years ago that had similar pattern, but it's much more dramatic on a closed headphone. Congrats.

0804171117b.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #209 of 3,270
Mind blowingly stunning! I had a pair of modded Grados in Zebrawood years ago that had similar pattern, but it's much more dramatic on a closed headphone. Congrats.

0804171117b.jpg

Thanks🙏

and very cool Zebra wood... love it!

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #210 of 3,270
@sp33ls True, coming up on almost a year with the Atrium and I'm still enamored with the performance and versatility. Been trying it on the Violectric V222 lately and it tightens up nicely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back