ZMF Atrium Closed
Feb 27, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #181 of 3,270
How good was the noise isolation on the Atrium Closeback? Did you still hear a lot of background noise or did it seal off most of the sounds while playing music?
I agree with @kumar402 that the isolation was good, didn't compare it to the VC though. Only listened briefly on the Feliks Echo/Cayin DAC combo which I'm unfamiliar with, but I did love what I heard, I didn't want to take them off. Excellent sub bass rumble, airy highs & wonderful ZMF mids. If I was looking for a closed back these would be top 'O the list.

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #182 of 3,270
I agree with @kumar402 that the isolation was good, didn't compare it to the VC though. Only listened briefly on the Feliks Echo/Cayin DAC combo which I'm unfamiliar with, but I did love what I heard, I didn't want to take them off. Excellent sub bass rumble, airy highs & wonderful ZMF mids. If I was looking for a closed back these would be top 'O the list.
I was wondering if the treble is comparable to the level of the caldera?

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #183 of 3,270
To my ears no, though I havent done an actual a/b yet so don't quote me on that, and IMO the treble on the Caldera is the best yet from ZMF.

I'm using the stock lambskin pads and the bass response is bonkers. Apparently the suede pads tone the bass down some. When Zach unwinds from Canjam I will pester him for the suede pads. Should only take me 3 hours to swap them..... 🥸

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #184 of 3,270
To my ear no, though I havent done an actual a/b yet so don't quote on that, and IMO the treble on the Caldera is the best yet from ZMF.

I'm using the stock lambskin pads and the bass response is bonkers. Apparently the suede pads tone the bass down some. When Zach unwinds from Canjam I will pester him for the suede pads. Should only take me 3 hours to swap them..... 🥸
I haven’t had a ton of headphones but I feel like caldera might have best treble I’ve encountered. What are your thoughts on atrium closed for metal compared to atrium open?

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #185 of 3,270
I haven’t had a ton of headphones but I feel like caldera might have best treble I’ve encountered. What are your thoughts on atrium closed for metal compared to atrium open?
let me get some more time on them, especially with the suede pads before I pass any official judgement on their metal mastery or otherwise.

What I can say definitively is that two nights in a row i've ended up in my psy trance folder. The AC doesn't quite have the sub bass quantity of the Sennheiser HD250, but it's much tighter, and thats with a soft wood (Burmese Teak). If I'm understanding things correctly the harder woods and stabilized units will have even tighter bass, but slightly less size in staging...

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #186 of 3,270
I believe that is the Taboo MK 4
Apparently that amp has a knob where you can adjust the stage inward or outward. Similar to crossfeed, but different. Maybe similar to what the Zahl does?

it's an OTL version with a single vol knob (the Taboo is TC, and has 2 knobs one per channel)

How good was the noise isolation on the Atrium Closeback? Did you still hear a lot of background noise or did it seal off most of the sounds while playing music?
Probably the pad depth is the deciding factor. AC pads are Caldera thin pads. So perforated (outside) and solid (inside).

had one more experience this evening listening to the AC with my wife tapping on my shoulder and getting me to squeal in fright. These pads isolate a househould with two teenagers.. yea, it's a good seal 😱 (I use the Caldera Suede pads)

Love the Suede pads on these, with both soft and hard wood. Bass is cleaner and tighter, but mostly better separation from mids (no bleed) improving clarity.

I have an extra can send u. will PM

let me get some more time on them, especially with the suede pads before I pass any official judgement on their metal mastery or otherwise.

What I can say definitively is that two nights in a row i've ended up in my psy trance folder. The AC doesn't quite have the sub bass quantity of the Sennheiser HD250, but it's much tighter, and thats with a soft wood (Burmese Teak). If I'm understanding things correctly the harder woods and stabilized units will have even tighter bass, but slightly less size in staging...

Hard wood definitely has tighter bass. So far not finding staging trade off. But, note, I compared woods across Suede pads, which have a much bigger soundstage than the thin pads. Perhaps the smaller stage on thin pads is more impacted by change of woods. that is one axis I didn't get to test

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #187 of 3,270
You guys get tax returns? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven’t heard much good about the stealth from people so I ended up getting an lcd 5 to go with my atrium open.

Also I wasnt suggesting they move to more analytical headphones I just think it’d be cool to have one in the lineup that is.
It was suggested that verite open was a great pair with lcd5, i have lcd5 and verite closed, whats your take on my comment?

Feb 28, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #188 of 3,270

Off Topic, forgive me. Is your System Optique implementation Optical Module(s) and Optical/Ultra Rendu? Curious to learn whether the performance justifies the cost given what else can be bought for £2000.

Feb 28, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #189 of 3,270
It was suggested that verite open was a great pair with lcd5, i have lcd5 and verite closed, whats your take on my comment?
I could see that being a good pair. I’ve heard the verite open are v shaped. I’ve never tried them but I did have a vc for a while. Biggest thing for me with lcd 5 is lack of soundstage. I think lcd 5 is great with hip hop and pop that kind of sticks out. I do really like it with rock/metal too. I think it depends on what you want from a headphone. What I’ve read I do think the open would be a good fit beside it generally speaking.

Feb 28, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #190 of 3,270
The treble on the caldera has much more sparkle and transients. I ended up buying the Atrium Closed after a comparison to the caldera and the atrium open. I went for the warmer sound of the AC. It has wonderful decay and timbre and a warmer sound. That being said the Caldera is an incredible headphone, the treble is not overdone, the detail retrieval is fantastic.

Feb 28, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #191 of 3,270
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #192 of 3,270
The treble on the caldera has much more sparkle and transients. I ended up buying the Atrium Closed after a comparison to the caldera and the atrium open. I went for the warmer sound of the AC. It has wonderful decay and timbre and a warmer sound. That being said the Caldera is an incredible headphone, the treble is not overdone, the detail retrieval is fantastic.
I agree the treble imo might be perfect or close to it for my preference. Not sure if possible but would like to hear it in a dynamic as long as mids/upper mids are intact. I do miss the caldera treble.

Feb 28, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #193 of 3,270
I think you summed it up well. And congrats on the new ZMF! ZMF's line-up is covering the spectrum of musical preferences. I'm considering a closed and may lean toward the VC or a Caldera (closed version upcoming I think?) since I've owned the Atrium-open upon release last year. Only because I also like fast attack, electro, and some heavy-hitting music at times. Not good for my ears I know but sometimes the mood just needs it. And don't want to annoy my family with the open leakage so it justifies a closed ZMF right?
I have not personally tested a VC yet. Will be my next CanJam goal. I've read where many commented the Verite's driver does the attack better. The Atrium is a great all-rounder IMO. If I was limited to only one ZMF, Atrium would be it, open, or closed if more isolation is needed. For relaxed listening it provides that lovely decay, imaging and spaciousness with the new damping that really opened my senses to music. I'm a planar junkie too so Caldera is on my short list. ZMF has my fix.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #194 of 3,270
If I'm understanding things correctly the harder woods and stabilized units will have even tighter bass, but slightly less size in staging...
The harder wood usually has more punchy bass, along with a little more heft and density on low frequency. Soundstage also project a little bigger when compared to softer woods.

Haven't tried AC though, but based on all other ZMFs I tried that is my conclusion (include Caldera).

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #195 of 3,270
The harder wood usually has more punchy bass, along with a little more heft and density on low frequency. Soundstage also project a little bigger when compared to softer woods.

Haven't tried AC though, but based on all other ZMFs I tried that is my conclusion (include Caldera).
Interesting, as I was under the impression that softer woods yield a bigger stage due to the longer decay and less immediacy . .?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back