ZMF Atrium Closed
Aug 26, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #1,832 of 3,213
Hi i just got AC and feel that the clamp is harder than other ZMF ( i'm used to Verite / Atticus clamp ), is there any way to loosen the clamp a bit?

yes - here is exactly how to adjust the clamp to your heart's content:

(all ZMF headphones have the same mechanism and same clamp; the specific unit you got simply has a starting point that has a bit more clamp, you can freely adjust it per above to whatever works best for you.. go for it!:))

Aug 26, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #1,833 of 3,213
yes - here is exactly how to adjust the clamp to your heart's content:

(all ZMF headphones have the same mechanism and same clamp; the specific unit you got simply has a starting point that has a bit more clamp, you can freely adjust it per above to whatever works best for you.. go for it!:))

Thank you! will try it later

Aug 26, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #1,834 of 3,213
Thank you! will try it later
That video is good, and the headband shape section, as well as the rest of this video is worth watching as well:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 27, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #1,836 of 3,213
A question was asked in the LCD-4z thread about how it compares with AC. Part of the question was why I chose the AC over the VC. Below is the copy-paste of my response:

Atrium Closed (AC) is a great complement to the 4z. The AC is a sit-back relaxing listening experience, whereas 4z is an engaging lean-forward type of enjoyment.

Both kind of have a v-shaped sound signature in FR (on lambskin pad), but they could not sound any more different. If you like bass you’re in for a treat. Not quite the same sub bass extension as a planar, but excellent attempt for a DD driver. Being a biocell driver means timbre sounds very natural. When getting AC, be conscious of the hardness of the woodcups, normally you choose which one you like the looks the most. With AC, the wood has a significant influence on the sound signature compared to the rest of the ZMF line up. Not as significant as a pad change, but still noticeable.

4z excels in separation, clarity, imaging and detail retrieval. It is good at dissecting the details in the mix clearly and the instruments are well separated. AC is not that far behind in those technical areas, but these details are not as laser etched and separated. Micro details pop a lot more clearly in 4z. AC focuses more on recreating the sense of atmosphere of the recording and the placement of the instruments within the stage.

AC sounds like a very open headphone despite being closed. I feel like sitting in the 5th row in an auditorium, whereas 4z is a front row in comparison. Atrium Open I feel like I’m on the back row experiencing the reverb of the auditorium and its sense of mass.

I had a chance to test Verite Closed (VC) but I much preferred the relaxed nature of the AC. I felt that the intensity I could have had in the VC, I already had in the 4z. I really wanted a closed-back HP that offered a relaxing, non-fatiguing sound signature to complement the 4z.

I realise this is somewhat of a niche comparison, but since it has not been made I thought I'd share my experiences here. the 4z shares some characteristics with Caldera but they are also different. I thought this comparison is interesting to help explain why a person who owns a speedy planar HP would want a biocell DD HP.

20230828_100154.jpg

20230828_100015.jpg

20230828_095807.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #1,837 of 3,213
I'm a little late to the party, but just received my Atrium Closed in Honduran Rosewood.

PXL_20230828_171442166.jpg

I've only had them on my head for an hour or so, but I don't beat around the bush these days, these sound awesome right out of the gate. Maintains the wonderful biocell timbre of the Atrium with a thick, fun low end, very musical and a nice large soundstage. Just phenomenal with some EL34 in Aegis.

PXL_20230828_172612518.NIGHT.jpg

Thanks @zach915m , knocking it out of the park with every release.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #1,838 of 3,213
I'm a little late to the party, but just received my Atrium Closed in Honduran Rosewood.

I've only had them on my head for an hour or so, but I don't beat around the bush these days, these sound awesome right out of the gate. Maintains the wonderful biocell timbre of the Atrium with a thick, fun low end, very musical and a nice large soundstage. Just phenomenal with some EL34 in Aegis.

Congrats!

I this you nailed it quick and to the point :wink:

Aug 28, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #1,839 of 3,213
@L0rdGwyn Great looking set. Love everything about that second photo.

I was just about to post my humble Crack powering the Atrium Closed. Such a complete experience listening to some alternative country and progressive bluegrass on this right now. (but the same with everything)

20230828_184140.jpg

Aug 28, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,840 of 3,213

I think a matching Honduran Rosewood faceplate for your Aegis would really tie the room together.

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #1,841 of 3,213
Now with closer to 70hrs of burn-in, my opinion has changed and I do agree that these need the burn in. I was torn between the suede pads and the leather out of the box, but after 70hrs, the low end really filled in nicely on the suede pad, and the treble is much more even sounding (though not lacking the bite and texture that drew me to the suede pads in the first place
These might just unseat the Auteur Classic as my favorite tuned ZMF

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #1,843 of 3,213
Aug 28, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,844 of 3,213

About time ya bum... :wink:

Honduran Rosewood, now that's what I'm talking about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back