ZMF Atrium Closed
Aug 10, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,741 of 3,273
The biocellulose family
Biocellulose Headphones.jpg

I started this hobby with Denon AH-D5000 over 15 years ago, got to Fostex TH900 which I still love, and ended up with Atrium Open. I guess I need AC too to finish the biocellulose journey!

The Fostex TRX-00 Mahogany started my biocellulose affinity. I still revisit them occasionally for a fun listen. It was the gateway for me to ZMF and been enjoying it ever since.

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #1,742 of 3,273
Well, well. Look what showed up today...

PXL_20230810_191835400.jpg

Shortly after receiving these stunners, I headed out to my deck where I normally take my photos... where I was immediately met by a swarm of small yellowjackets. After taking a sting to the face, I hastily retreated back inside. So, I had to improvise my photo shoot. I have a nice sunroom with plenty of light, but the windows and glossy varnish are not a great mix. Still, I think they turned out alright:

PXL_20230810_191209412.jpgPXL_20230810_191547974.jpgPXL_20230810_191916250.jpg

Like others have mentioned before, lighting is everything with these burl sets. You can clearly see that in the pictures below:
PXL_20230810_185707157.jpgPXL_20230810_190900108.jpgPXL_20230810_190322586.jpg

The weight on these Redwood's is pretty amazing, although I thought the stock Cherry set was extremely comfortable.

I'm going to let this pair burn in through the weekend, and then work on an A/B comparison with my Cherry review unit. In the meantime, I'll be updating my AO/VO pad reviews with the Caldera Ultra Perforated pads. Also, my long awaited Auteur Classic Pad Extravaganza will be out as soon as I evaluate the Ultras Perf pads with them.

Aug 10, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #1,745 of 3,273
Well, well. Look what showed up today...

PXL_20230810_191835400.jpg

Shortly after receiving these stunners, I headed out to my deck where I normally take my photos... where I was immediately met by a swarm of small yellowjackets. After taking a sting to the face, I hastily retreated back inside. So, I had to improvise my photo shoot. I have a nice sunroom with plenty of light, but the windows and glossy varnish are not a great mix. Still, I think they turned out alright:

PXL_20230810_191209412.jpgPXL_20230810_191547974.jpgPXL_20230810_191916250.jpg

Like others have mentioned before, lighting is everything with these burl sets. You can clearly see that in the pictures below:
PXL_20230810_185707157.jpgPXL_20230810_190900108.jpgPXL_20230810_190322586.jpg

The weight on these Redwood's is pretty amazing, although I thought the stock Cherry set was extremely comfortable.

I'm going to let this pair burn in through the weekend, and then work on an A/B comparison with my Cherry review unit. In the meantime, I'll be updating my AO/VO pad reviews with the Caldera Ultra Perforated pads. Also, my long awaited Auteur Classic Pad Extravaganza will be out as soon as I evaluate the Ultras Perf pads with them.
The things you do for ZMF...yellowjackets. Yikes. I hope you're alright.

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #1,746 of 3,273
The things you do for ZMF...yellowjackets. Yikes. I hope you're alright.
lol

Thanks man. It got me on the chin, but aside from hurting a little, I'm all good.

Aug 11, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #1,747 of 3,273
In an ideal world ZMF would have the time and resources to show a couple builds of each wood that show more of that variance

Actually I also expect my rosewood burl VO to turn out red.
@erics75 set was purchased from a canjam way back in Feb, and as such we got it back in the shop to do some finish touch up. Realizing that redwood may darken over time I have been using a slight red wash over the redwood burl for the actual run for summer of burl so that the run of summer of burl headphones will retain the red color more-so since I know the advertised color is important to people.

This is the same with all the summer of burl woods, that they have a light "retention" stain so that the wood will keep it's color.

Canjam sets are often me testing out wood to see what they do and all that many months before releases of the wood in a broader sense. @erics75 is definitely a 1 of 1 made in the actual first batch of LTDs for canjam NYC.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 11, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #1,748 of 3,273
Zach has mentioned it a few times, but it's worth repeating....

If you have a specific look in mind with any given wood, mention it in the comments when ordering and ZMF will go out of their way to try to match your headphone with the desired look.
Yes yes thank you thank you
I enjoyed the variability and slight chance aspect of the finish. To me that makes it truly a work of art rather than a simple commission. I totally understand the opposite feeling. just sharing my perspective.
We are working on custom shop options and such, I realize some people want to be able to see exactly what their wood will be and have a custom set mad ejust for the with wood options.
Wow you got some insane burl patterns. Looks like a neural network. I will be receiving my pair soon, I also asked for super burly so hoping it's somewhat similar to yours.
All of our headphones are cut from logs that come from the same batch of wood when we do a run from a singular wood supplier. I have really good relationships with our wood suppliers and because we make these from scratch ourselves really get to sift through the wood. If wood isn't representative in a general sense to what's on the site during a run, we won't ship it and it'll get used at a show for demo etc.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 11, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #1,749 of 3,273
Yes yes thank you thank you

We are working on custom shop options and such, I realize some people want to be able to see exactly what their wood will be and have a custom set mad ejust for the with wood options.

All of our headphones are cut from logs that come from the same batch of wood when we do a run from a singular wood supplier. I have really good relationships with our wood suppliers and because we make these from scratch ourselves really get to sift through the wood. If wood isn't representative in a general sense to what's on the site during a run, we won't ship it and it'll get used at a show for demo etc.

That's cool! What I meant was that I enjoy the fact that it's not a carbon copy of the online image. That to me makes it a true work of art. quality art work isn't when the patron micromanages the art work, it's when we trust the work and style of an artist and let them produce something impressive.

In any case, I love my pair. I'm actually away on vacation and didn't bring them with me out of fear and I miss them dearly.

Aug 11, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #1,750 of 3,273
@erics75 set was purchased from a canjam way back in Feb, and as such we got it back in the shop to do some finish touch up. Realizing that redwood may darken over time I have been using a slight red wash over the redwood burl for the actual run for summer of burl so that the run of summer of burl headphones will retain the red color more-so since I know the advertised color is important to people.

This is the same with all the summer of burl woods, that they have a light "retention" stain so that the wood will keep it's color.

Canjam sets are often me testing out wood to see what they do and all that many months before releases of the wood in a broader sense. @erics75 is definitely a 1 of 1 made in the actual first batch of LTDs for canjam NYC.
Gotta give you props Zach for the refinishing, they looked awesome when I first got them, and even more amazing after your work. For everyone reading, this is what really separates ZMF from most manufacturers. Zach and Bevin go above and beyond to ensure you're as happy as can be with your set. Zach actually remembered my set and wanted to do a bit of refinishing to make them even better than they already were. No prompting on my end, he did this of his own accord after I initially received them.

Zach, I do have one general complaint though, and it's super serious. On the Sea Horse cases you gotta go back to the old school red and black puffy stickers with the ZMF logo only on them. I LOVE THOSE STICKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) They were so iconic looking. If you have any left I'd totally buy some to swap out on my newer cases.

Aug 11, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #1,751 of 3,273
I just got my Camphor Burl ACs today and have been listening for about an hour. These are very interesting headphones. The presentation and tone is very different than most of my other headphones. It has similar tone as the VCs (at least compared to my other headphones), but has higher resolution and better bass. It's going to take me some time to understand these headphones. The presentation is just so different than what I'm used to. I think they are a good addition to my collection, given how different they are. I look forward to spending several hours with them today and tomorrow. I like what I'm hearing out of the box, but I look forward to burning these in to achieve their stasis.

Aug 11, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #1,752 of 3,273
I just got my Camphor Burl ACs today and have been listening for about an hour. These are very interesting headphones. The presentation and tone is very different than most of my other headphones. It has similar tone as the VCs (at least compared to my other headphones), but has higher resolution and better bass. It's going to take me some time to understand these headphones. The presentation is just so different than what I'm used to. I think they are a good addition to my collection, given how different they are. I look forward to spending several hours with them today and tomorrow. I like what I'm hearing out of the box, but I look forward to burning these in to achieve their stasis.
Pics or it didn't happen... 😉

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #1,753 of 3,273
Always interesting to hear impressions from others on VC vs AC.

I actually feel like my VC slightly edges out my AC in terms of resolution. Or, maybe it’s just psychoacoustics, possibly due to the increase in speed giving me the impression that it’s easier to pick out details with the VC.

All the details are certainly still present in the AC.

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #1,754 of 3,273

Congrats!

remember the AC in particular settles in quite a bit first 100-200 hours (and only continues to improve in doing so). Enjoy the journey…
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back