ZMF Atrium Closed
Aug 8, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #1,711 of 3,271
Mine should arrive today or tomorrow (after inexplicably sitting on Guam for a week, which is as far from Hawaii as Chicago is but in the opposite direction, thanks USPS!) and I'll definitely post pics.

Just googled redwood burl images and they're kind of all over the place. Some are as red as the promo pics, though yellow-orange seems the most common, and some videos show a lot of change from a single piece being moved around.

I do think all my ZMFs have been difficult to photograph accurately, and what's even accurate depends very much on lighting. Mine are all in a room where the natural lighting changes all day so they really do look different all the time. Then there's changes which happen over time, such as my 2 Koa models where one has become more and more dark brown while the other has become more orange. The resin and stabilized ones don't seem to change over time but are probably even more difficult to photograph, as mine have all been more interesting than in pics, with things like glitter, swirls, and minor color variations which weren't visible in pictures.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #1,712 of 3,271
Actually I also expect my rosewood burl VO to turn out red. The pictures really indicate we will receive a reddish glossy finished wood.
Mostly I purchased the VO because of the soft wood but also to add a red wood to my ZMF collection.
Let's see how it will turn out.

Same. Mainly went with redwood looking at the promo pics where a vibrant red is showcased both on headphone aswell as on wood hardness pics, similar to my redheart Caldera. Well, for brownish wood I would have went with camphor burl. Lets see indeed.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #1,713 of 3,271
Just arrived and they're even more beautiful than I'd hoped. Sure enough the color is very different in different lighting. In full sun there is much more of an orange look. More light brown inside. The first pic isn't very accurate. I notice my iPhone really brightens things up in a darker room even with no flash. Also very glossy so hard to get pics without reflection. The actual color indoors is sort of halfway between the two pics. When I hold them up to my other wood models of Koa & camphor, the contrast certainly makes them seem more of a red-brown.

Best part is mine are only 435grams, the lightest ZMF I've had which is pretty amazing for solid wood. On to burn in before much listening because I know this driver changes a lot with burn in. My Atrium Open sure did. Listening to some bass heavy tracks which are very satisying without negatively impacting female vocals. Going to be a fun evening!

IMG_0119.jpeg
IMG_0118.jpeg

Aug 8, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #1,714 of 3,271
Just arrived and they're even more beautiful than I'd hoped. Sure enough the color is very different in different lighting. In full sun there is much more of an orange look. More light brown inside. The first pic isn't very accurate. I notice my iPhone really brightens things up in a darker room even with no flash. Also very glossy so hard to get pics without reflection. The actual color indoors is sort of halfway between the two pics. When I hold them up to my other wood models of Koa & camphor, the contrast certainly makes them seem more of a red-brown.

Best part is mine are only 435grams, the lightest ZMF I've had which is pretty amazing for solid wood. On to burn in before much listening because I know this driver changes a lot with burn in. My Atrium Open sure did. Listening to some bass heavy tracks which are very satisying without negatively impacting female vocals. Going to be a fun evening!

IMG_0119.jpegIMG_0118.jpeg
Those are stunning! Congrats Rob!

Aug 8, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #1,715 of 3,271
@robo24, Wow! Those look amazing. Congratulations!

Aug 8, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #1,716 of 3,271

Thanks for sharing those, in the direct sunlight they're really stunning and you can definitely see how much they shift with the light.
How do you find the surface in terms of smoothness or evenness? In the first pic especially some of the reflections look a bit uneven or wobbly on some of the edges and angles but could just be a trick of light.

Aug 8, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #1,717 of 3,271
Not gonna lie, I’m worried about my redwood burl calderas now. I know all zmf headphones are a crap shoot with the looks (I’ve had 3 pairs of ZMFs so far), but I’ll wait and see. :worried:

Aug 8, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #1,718 of 3,271

IMG_0119.jpegIMG_0118.jpeg

They look fantastic, congrats! Wood color can change a lot depending on lighting conditions. Redheart is similar. 435g is super light for a ZMF. Is that with magnesium chassi?

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #1,719 of 3,271
They look fantastic, congrats! Wood color can change a lot depending on lighting conditions. Redheart is similar. 435g is super light for a ZMF. Is that with magnesium chassi?
Yes magnesium and all suede though I assume roughly the same weight as leather since I’ve not read otherwise. Yeah the Redheart pics seem to vary from very red to sort of light brown with a hint of red. I’ve not seen it in person though.

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #1,720 of 3,271

Congrats, your set looks beautiful, especially with all that burls. That's how I would expect the wood.
Maybe Zach finishes the woods a little bit different to match the different rod materials.

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #1,721 of 3,271

Yep, these do look fantastic, congrats. :thumbsup:
But I guess unfortunately I am out of a new ZMF. For me personally, the „risk“ that I get a piece which is not what I have hoped for is to high, especially at a price point of 3000+€. I have seen this with Olive wood, there were some fantastic pieces out there and some were according to my personal taste where I would have said „na, thanks not for 3k“ (same goes for black wood or desert iron wood). So I will have to look at the pre owned market which is more WYSIWYG.
Edit: I know headphones are for music listening and the appearance of a headphone is not really that important….

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #1,722 of 3,271
Yep, these do look fantastic, congrats. :thumbsup:
But I guess unfortunately I am out of a new ZMF. For me personally, the „risk“ that I get a piece which is not what I have hoped for is to high, especially at a price point of 3000+€. I have seen this with Olive wood, there were some fantastic pieces out there and some were according to my personal taste where I would have said „na, thanks not for 3k“ (same goes for black wood or desert iron wood). So I will have to look at the pre owned market which is more WYSIWYG.
Edit: I know headphones are for music listening and the appearance of a headphone is not really that important….
Zach has mentioned it a few times, but it's worth repeating....

If you have a specific look in mind with any given wood, mention it in the comments when ordering and ZMF will go out of their way to try to match your headphone with the desired look.

Aug 9, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #1,723 of 3,271

If you have a specific look in mind with any given wood, mention it in the comments when ordering and ZMF will go out of their way to try to match your headphone with the desired look.
And I did ask for super burly. I also like @erics75 set where there is more difference betweeen the 2 cups and love those lines in the cup with fewer burls.

Thanks for sharing those, in the direct sunlight they're really stunning and you can definitely see how much they shift with the light.
How do you find the surface in terms of smoothness or evenness? In the first pic especially some of the reflections look a bit uneven or wobbly on some of the edges and angles but could just be a trick of light.
Yeah, I see what you mean in that pic but they don't look like that in reality. They're very smooth but if I run my finger along it I can feel slight variation on these and my other closed ZMFs, which is basically what Zach has said before because they're wood.

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #1,724 of 3,271

Thanks, your right they will try this.
and also redwood is super light, that is also a very important factor.

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #1,725 of 3,271
Any first sound impressions on these super light and "soft" redwood cups? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back