ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Apr 3, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #3,031 of 3,122
'm trying to either reduce or control the bass on the Atrium Closed.

Should the suede pads I got with my Verite Closed fit on my Atrium Closed (Olive wood versions with the stock pads)? Or should I get a pair new Caldera Suede pads? I'm hesitant to fuss with the pads before I know it they would fit. Should I try other kinds of pads?

Definitely try the Caldera Suede pads - that's the reason I tried them in the first place, and it achieved exactly that for me: retaining bit bass impact, but no longer overhwleming and a clean separation and transition to the mids.

No, the Universe suede that you have from the VC would likely not work well and will definitely not sound like the Caldera suede pads.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #3,032 of 3,122
Are we talking about midbass, subbass or both?
I'm trying to either reduce or control the bass on the Atrium Closed.

Should the suede pads I got with my Verite Closed fit on my Atrium Closed (Olive wood versions with the stock pads)? Or should I get a pair new Caldera Suede pads? I'm hesitant to fuss with the pads before I know it they would fit. Should I try other kinds of pads?

Would more break-in time help? I read somewhere that break-in time is important with the Atrium

I love everything else about the sonics of the AC, like the expansive soundfield, the organic, realistic timbre for vocals and instruments with sustained tones (reminiscent of the R10s I used to own), and the way images live in their own believable surrounding space.

But the bass seems to just lose control and be ever-present and sort of pounds on my ears. This happens with different DACs and amps. The VC and Caldera are fine with the bass, which is tight and tuneful.

I admit that I am personally kind of sensitive to bass that is overwhelming to me or not solid enough.

Thank you.

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #3,034 of 3,122
The caldera suede pads will tame down the bass a bunch. Also burn in with the bass is real on this headphone. I originally went to the suede after I got them to tame down the bass. I saw a few users in here saying they did the same but then went back to the lambskin. I tried out the lambskin and the bass was right where I wanted it.
Bokeh suedes for me without question. Most of the benefits of the Caldera suedes without losing so much bass.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #3,035 of 3,122
Definitely try the Caldera Suede pads - that's the reason I tried them in the first place, and it achieved exactly that for me: retaining bit bass impact, but no longer overhwleming and a clean separation and transition to the mids.

No, the Universe suede that you have from the VC would likely not work well and will definitely not sound like the Caldera suede pads.
Thanks a million for the definitive answer on this. Will do. Best to you and also big thanks for all your great writing here.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #3,036 of 3,122
Are we talking about midbass, subbass or both?
I would say both as I hear it. It depends on the track. I tried some EQ in Jriver at everything under 60 Hz and that seemed to target it, but EQ to that extent just sounds plain weird, and I am not a fan of EQ at all (just my opinion) as it always sound strange to me and unnatural at any frequency. The most EQ I can deal with the the High Filter setting in my DAVE.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #3,037 of 3,122
Bokeh suedes for me without question. Most of the benefits of the Caldera suedes without losing so much bass.
OK, thanks. Maybe I'll try those pads also. I've have not had this issue (or really any frequency response issues) in my other ZMFs (Atticus, Eikon, VC, Caldera). I've always just used stock pads.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #3,039 of 3,122
Good find... anyone else have experience with bokeh suedes?

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #3,040 of 3,122
Thanks a million for the definitive answer on this. Will do. Best to you and also big thanks for all your great writing here.

you bet!

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #3,041 of 3,122
Good find... anyone else have experience with bokeh suedes?
I also have the Bokeh Suedes. I might be the first to try them on the AC because Zach recommended I include them in my AC order after discovering he liked the combo.

He said they fall right between the stock Caldera Thins and Caldera Suedes, at least in regard to bass quantity. I think he was spot on in his description. I have pretty big ears, and the Bokeh pads are thinner than the Caldera Suedes, so for comfort alone I’ve stuck with the Caldera Suedes.

I haven’t gone back to the stock Caldera Thins in a while, but I’m very happy with the Caldera Suedes overall. I feel like they have the perfect amount of bass for me.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #3,043 of 3,122
I also have the Bokeh Suedes. I might be the first to try them on the AC because Zach recommended I include them in my AC order after discovering he liked the combo.

He said they fall right between the stock Caldera Thins and Caldera Suedes, at least in regard to bass quantity. I think he was spot on in his description. I have pretty big ears, and the Bokeh pads are thinner than the Caldera Suedes, so for comfort alone I’ve stuck with the Caldera Suedes.

I haven’t gone back to the stock Caldera Thins in a while, but I’m very happy with the Caldera Suedes overall. I feel like they have the perfect amount of bass for me.
I put them on my AC as soon as I got the Bokeh review unit in December and haven't looked back! Using the paracord trick was enough to move them up that extra 1/4" or so which was enough for my ear not to touch inside.

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #3,044 of 3,122
I put them on my AC as soon as I got the Bokeh review unit in December and haven't looked back! Using the paracord trick was enough to move them up that extra 1/4" or so which was enough for my ear not to touch inside.
I tried the paracord trick myself, but it still wasn’t quite as comfortable as the Caldera Suedes. Obviously comfort is a very personal thing, so I encourage everyone to try out all the different combinations.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #3,045 of 3,122

This is an interesting review about the AO. I thought I would share the video since we just discussed using tube amps to get the most out of the AC.

TLDR The reviewer said that if matched with an OTL, the HP's performance is near that of the Susvara. He attributes the benefits to the HP's impedance matching with the amp.

I can concur with these findings, as i do run my AC with a high-impedance SET amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back