ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Apr 4, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #3,046 of 3,119

This is an interesting review about the AO. I thought I would share the video since we just discussed using tube amps to get the most out of the AC.

TLDR The reviewer said that if matched with an OTL, the HP's performance is near that of the Susvara. He attributes the benefits to the HP's impedance matching with the amp.

I can concur with these findings, as i do run my AC with a high-impedance SET amp.

Although I haven't heard AC on tubes yet, just on solid-state. I can definitely agree that Atrium and tubes is some of the best headphone/ audio experiences I've ever had in this hobby. Not that it doesn't work fine on Solid-state as well.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #3,047 of 3,119
Although I haven't heard AC on tubes yet, just on solid-state. I can definitely agree that Atrium and tubes is some of the best headphone/ audio experiences I've ever had in this hobby. Not that it doesn't work fine on Solid-state as well.
I will vouch for the AC on high-impedance tubes as sounding god-like and invoking transcendental experiences :D

I love my VC (which has its own unique strengths) but in my experience the AC on tubes is unparalleled in providing a level of realism (timbre/stage/decay/etc) and emotional engagement with all genres of music.

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #3,048 of 3,119
I will vouch for the AC on high-impedance tubes as sounding god-like and invoking transcendental experiences :D

I love my VC (which has its own unique strengths) but in my experience the AC on tubes is unparalleled in providing a level of realism (timbre/stage/decay/etc) and emotional engagement with all genres of music.
While I haven’t heard multi-kilobuck systems (and my wallet understandably doesn’t want me to)- the combination of a good OTL amp with close impedance matching to the AC and VC makes for wonderful listening, and between those two headphones you get phenomenal results with most (all?) genres.

In my view, if you have a high-quality R2R DAC (or likely even better, vinyl) as your source with that gear, you should be a very happy music lover, indeed.

Will you be a satisfied audiophile? No idea. 🤷‍♂️ 😆

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #3,049 of 3,119
What is consensus on the best pad for bass on the AC?

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #3,050 of 3,119
What is consensus on the best pad for bass on the AC?
From what I’ve heard personally, the bass quantity is highest with the stock Lambskin Caldera Thins. I think in the PassionForSound YouTube review, he mentioned liking the Solid Auteur Hybrid pads. I think they bring the bass level up even higher than stock. I have the Solid Suede Auteur pads, and I think they aren’t quite as bassy as the stock Caldera Thins.

In my setup, I find the Caldera Suedes perfectly balanced. I find the Caldera Thins a little too-bass heavy overall. Obviously we all have unique bass-level preferences.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #3,051 of 3,119
Atrium Closed1 JPEG.jpg
Atrium Closed2 JPEG.jpg

Another vote for Caldera Suedes. I put them on my Caldera and loved them so much that it made me want to try them again on the AC. Listening to an album this evening on the Weiss DAC502/Woo WA-23 setup with the AC and it's awesome. Bass is still incredible - but takes the bloom back tastefully to make everything sound a tad more in balance. Not too soft, but a little more chill in the perfect way. Hitting the spot right now for sure.

Also took these photos when I did my Bokeh review and haven't shared them yet, so I needed an excuse to post! Still such a fan of the look my AC.

EDIT: @djentbat - to clarify, my vote would not be for Caldera Suedes for the biggest bass on the ACs, that'd go to the Caldera Lambskin Thins in my experience (have only tried those and the Suedes, to be fair though....), but the Suedes refine the bass to my ears, so if that's important to you, these would be a pad to look into. Caldera Lambskin Thins are (even more-so, as Suedes are still exciting since AC is an exciting headphone) more exciting in contrast.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #3,052 of 3,119
From what I’ve heard personally, the bass quantity is highest with the stock Lambskin Caldera Thins. I think in the PassionForSound YouTube review, he mentioned liking the Solid Auteur Hybrid pads. I think they bring the bass level up even higher than stock. I have the Solid Suede Auteur pads, and I think they aren’t quite as bassy as the stock Caldera Thins.

In my setup, I find the Caldera Suedes perfectly balanced. I find the Caldera Thins a little too-bass heavy overall. Obviously we all have unique bass-level preferences.
PassionForSound mentioned that its a nice in between between caldera suedes and thins.

I have not yet been able to confirm this though.

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #3,053 of 3,119
After a few months with the Caldera Suedes, I decided to do some pad rolling.
My AC should be fully burned in at this point (200+ hours), so I swapped back to the stock Lambskin Caldera Thins to see if they’d work for me again.

I think in my setup, the bass level is still a bit too high for me with the Thins. It sounds great, but the bass gives me listening fatigue relatively quickly. I never get fatigued listening with the Caldera Suedes.

Then I switched to the Bokeh Suedes. These might be the perfect amount of bass for me with with the AC. It’s a step back from the Thins but a step up from the Caldera Suedes. The Bokeh Suedes are a bit thinner so my ears touch, but it’s not too uncomfortable. Comfort may end up being the deciding factor for me, but I think these Bokeh Suedes might be my favorite sounding pads with the AC, for now at least.

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #3,054 of 3,119
Then I switched to the Bokeh Suedes. These might be the perfect amount of bass for me with with the AC. It’s a step back from the Thins but a step up from the Caldera Suedes. The Bokeh Suedes are a bit thinner so my ears touch, but it’s not too uncomfortable. Comfort may end up being the deciding factor for me, but I think these Bokeh Suedes might be my favorite sounding pads with the AC, for now at least.
The thin factor on the Bokeh pads has me excited for the Caldera Closed specifically for the prospect of some thicker, solid-walled Caldera pads

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #3,055 of 3,119
Definitely try the Caldera Suede pads - that's the reason I tried them in the first place, and it achieved exactly that for me: retaining bit bass impact, but no longer overhwleming and a clean separation and transition to the mids.

No, the Universe suede that you have from the VC would likely not work well and will definitely not sound like the Caldera suede pads.
Hi again. I got the Caldera Suede pad from ZMF for my Atrium Closed and it really did solve the bass issue and I'm very happy with the sound and can't stop listening to my AC now. The bass is well-integrated now and sounds completely normal. So I really appreciate the spot-on advice. It's amazing how critical pad selection is for ZMFs. Best to you.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #3,056 of 3,119
Hi again. I got the Caldera Suede pad from ZMF for my Atrium Closed and it really did solve the bass issue and I'm very happy with the sound and can't stop listening to my AC now. The bass is well-integrated now and sounds completely normal. So I really appreciate the spot-on advice. It's amazing how critical pad selection is for ZMFs. Best to you.

I’m so happy this worked for you. Enjoy these wonderful headphones!

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #3,057 of 3,119
Happy for you buddy

Personally I'm keen to try the bokeh suedes sometime in the near future

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #3,059 of 3,119
My Atrium Closed Stabilized arrived a few minutes ago and i am already in love :jecklinsmile:

IMG_3428.jpeg
Just rubbing those shiny cups does it for me every time!

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #3,060 of 3,119

Users who are viewing this thread

Back