ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Sep 25, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #1,952 of 3,122
Curious what the long term community consensus is on hard wood vs soft wood on Atrium Closed, what do you guys prefer and with which genres?

Sep 25, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #1,953 of 3,122
My journey with the Atrium Closed began when it was first released, when I was lucky enough to borrow both an olive and a cherry headphone, to see if I could tell the difference. This was actually the first time I've noticed a big difference between different woods in the same model, and for my preferences at least, I fell in love with the olive, paired with suede pads. That's not to say that I didn't sometimes switch over to the lambskin, to suit my mood, or perhaps as a better pairing with whatever amp I was using. But olive + suede was a good baseline for my daily listening.

I wanted to buy my own pair, and despite being seduced by all those beautiful burls that recently came out, I fell head over heels with this beautiful stabilized wood. As soon as I saw this, I needed to have it in my life. For those of you who already know whether your preferences lie with hard wood (e.g. olive) or soft wood (e.g. cherry), I'll say that stabilized sounds like a hard wood, with a little less decay than the cherry, resulting in a slightly tighter bass IMO.

I have way too many headphones, but the Atrium Closed is part of my main rotation, alongside my Caldera and Focal Utopia 2022. It's a perfect complement to both of them.

My wife saw me taking photos of these outside and told me this was the most beautiful wood she's ever seen. @zach915m She said that if you ever need money, she would commission you to make some planters for her back yard. 🤣

Atrium Closed (left cup 2).jpgAtrium Closed (right cup 2).jpg
Tell your wife to wait in line! I’m still waiting on my @zach915m stabalized audio chair!!! 🫣🤣 please don’t let her burn me down… 😅 😎

Sep 25, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,954 of 3,122
Tell your wife to wait in line! I’m still waiting on my @zach915m stabalized audio chair!!! 🫣🤣 please don’t let her burn me down… 😅 😎
I must be at the back of the line, I asked @zach915m if he could make a set of headphones for my pup so I did not have to keep sharing my Verite
IMG_1615.jpeg

Sep 25, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #1,955 of 3,122
Sep 25, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #1,956 of 3,122
I must be at the back of the line, I asked @zach915m if he could make a set of headphones for my pup so I did not have to keep sharing my VeriteIMG_1615.jpeg
This is beyond adorable. ZMF by itself is a work of art, add a gorgeous pup, well that is just sublime.

Sep 29, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #1,958 of 3,122
Just wanted to post some pics of my beautiful AC! Loving its elegance as well as its euphony! Another ZMF work of art!!!

IMG_1789.jpgIMG_1788.jpgIMG_1785.jpgIMG_1800.jpgIMG_1815.jpgIMG_1817.jpgIMG_1807.jpgIMG_1796.jpg

That’s just ridiculously beautiful.. congrats man!

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #1,961 of 3,122
Just wanted to post some pics of my beautiful AC! Loving its elegance as well as its euphony! Another ZMF work of art!!!

IMG_1785.jpg

Those caldera thin perforated pads really complement the look very nicely

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #1,962 of 3,122
Oct 2, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #1,963 of 3,122
I noticed that currently the Atrium Closed's default pads are the "ZMF Caldera thin (Lamb) and Caldera Suede pads".

I looked at my order from May and it seems like at the time the default pads were the ZMF Caldera stock (Lamb) and Caldera Suede.

Am I getting this wrong or has there been a change in the default pad from Caldera Stock to Caldera Thin? And how to tell which one I have? :) On the Pads part of the website both are shown as 25mm thickest part 20mm thinnest part.

Thanks!

Oct 2, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #1,964 of 3,122
And coming back on this, I have the following from June from Zach.

Capture.JPG

But it seems that the leather thin is now the default? So the thinking has changed, back in June they were not recommended? Which is OK, just want to keep up. :)

Oct 2, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #1,965 of 3,122
Working on some amplifier stuff, great time to listen to the AC. Aegis was out at CanJam SoCal, so had to bring out the backup! First time I've listened to the AC on an OTL, not surprisingly it sounds stellar. I also swapped the pads to the suedes, really liking them so far, and so comfy. Listening to Fever Ray's new album, great pairing with the AC.

DSCF7428.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back