ZMF Atrium Closed
Sep 15, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #1,921 of 3,136
Hello everyone. it was my old dream to be the owner of a zmf totl headphones, and it looks like the time has come. when I dealt with the topic in the past, the Verite series was the top. since then, two members of Atrium have appeared and at the same price, which I still don't understand. did they get better technically and in tuning? since I would take them at home, it doesn't matter whether I choose open or closed ones, the question is more about how they are tuned and their technical ability. I know that the Átrium open type has more space and the stage is a bit better than the closed version. However, I don't know how well the open Átrium can listen to bass-oriented music such as Hip-Hop Techno and others. does it have enough punch, energy, dynamics, weight for the deep range or can only the closed versions provide this? the same question arises between verite open and closed. Is there anyone here who has heard all of these and can give me some answers to my questions? and I welcome any information about them.

See my reply to you on the AO thread.. yea, AC is what you’re looking for if I had to bet based on your description..

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #1,922 of 3,136
Hello everyone. it was my old dream to be the owner of a zmf totl headphones, and it looks like the time has come. when I dealt with the topic in the past, the Verite series was the top. since then, two members of Atrium have appeared and at the same price, which I still don't understand. did they get better technically and in tuning? since I would take them at home, it doesn't matter whether I choose open or closed ones, the question is more about how they are tuned and their technical ability. I know that the Átrium open type has more space and the stage is a bit better than the closed version. However, I don't know how well the open Átrium can listen to bass-oriented music such as Hip-Hop Techno and others. does it have enough punch, energy, dynamics, weight for the deep range or can only the closed versions provide this? the same question arises between verite open and closed. Is there anyone here who has heard all of these and can give me some answers to my questions? and I welcome any information about them.
The open has well a more open airy sound and the closed warmer with more bass presence but even within the same genre one can sound better than the other for no apparent reason. Pad rolling makes a tremendous difference on any ZMF. Initially it seems like a closed might be a better fit but not if you listen to mostly jazz and classical as I do. But even then it depends on the track. If you like electronic and pop and rock it might be wise to look at focal clears MG OG as they might be better for these genres. I find you have to make a decision and then stick with it or if you start questioning once you purchase you’ll start on an endless search the something that may not exist. Unless you have lots of available $ then just buy everything. 😂

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #1,925 of 3,136
Sep 15, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #1,926 of 3,136
With which ear cushion do the zmf headphones have the most bass?
Look at the ZMG chart and get a few pair. They aren’t expensive. There’s no clear cut answer as things differ from track. It is a bit of a pain to swap but once you get the hang of it not bad. I'm listening to the Weekly Qobuz recommended list and going back and forth with Open and Closed. Closed really have much more bass presence but have a slight veil over the sound. The opens are much more precise and airy with the sound and bass is there definitely. Overall I'd say a cleaner sound but both are amzazing.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #1,927 of 3,136
With which ear cushion do the zmf headphones have the most bass?
Each model will be affected by pads differently. Use this as a guide. You can't see it but the bottom right corner is "Warm". So farthest right is bassiest, farthest left is brightest. What's harder to tell from this chart is the bass mix (sub vs mid). From the chart you'd think Atticus for warmest/bassiest. But subbass specifically the Atrium Closed has the most. The Atticus is more midbass focused with rolled off highs, giving it the warmest overall tuning. As others have said, for electronic music and subbass specifically, the AC is the way to go. And for me personally it's my overall favorite ZMF with the Atticus right there with it.

1694787856574.png

Sep 16, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #1,928 of 3,136
Is there a recommendation list of different price point amps (SS and Tube) for the Atrium Closed?

Sep 16, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #1,929 of 3,136
Is there a recommendation list of different price point amps (SS and Tube) for the Atrium Closed?
Many amps work. Even at the $400 price point. I use a hybrid Xduoo TA-22 which works beautifully and is about $500 but the IFi gryphon works well too. You can certainly spend thousands of dollars but why would you do that?

Sep 16, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #1,930 of 3,136
Many amps work. Even at the $400 price point. I use a hybrid Xduoo TA-22 which works beautifully and is about $500 but the IFi gryphon works well too. You can certainly spend thousands of dollars but why would you do that?

I don't necessarily I just wanted a list to seek out and try with my pair at the next CanJam I attend/stores I go to to try and figure out what to get.

Sep 16, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #1,931 of 3,136
I don't necessarily I just wanted a list to seek out and try with my pair at the next CanJam I attend/stores I go to to try and figure out what to get.
This is generalized for most all ZMF headphones, but a lot of good info can be found here, including a list:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/

Edit: This is the "ultimate" list, even though there are some relatively affordable options here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...r-zmf-headphones.965309/page-33#post-17215696

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #1,932 of 3,136
Got a chance to mess around with a Red Burl AC the other day...

20230912_144210.jpg20230912_144239.jpg20230912_144200.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #1,935 of 3,136

Users who are viewing this thread

Back