ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Jun 27, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #1,441 of 3,122
So after about 10 days now of listening to the AC on the stock lambskin pads, I decided to swap out to the suede pads to give them a go.
Holy Cow! The AC now sounds so much better for me! Its like everything clicked into place! Tonally overall it sounds more balanced. There is a slight drop bass but I think overall I do prefer this sound signature. Will have to do more listening to be 100% sure.
Was listening to John Mayer's live album "Where The Light Is", the staging and instrument separation was more apparent to me. Really reminded me of the AO and that was the thing I remember the most about the AO that wow-ed me. Its not up to AO levels of staging and instrument separation but felt a lot closer to it with the suede pads over the lambskin.

I need to do this eventually but I am just so in love with the bass from the Lambskin I'm having trouble wanting to take them off :joy:

Edit: OK, my curiosity got the better of me and I threw the suede pads on for a handful of songs tonight and now I see why people are raving about them. The bass really does maintain extremely well and the difference isn't nearly as major as I had anticipated it may be. Love how it ups the presence of highs in the mix, brings up the vocals and instrumentation separation is easier to pick out. Will be rolling with these for a bit to keep picking out the differences but I'm impressed

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #1,443 of 3,122
Yes

Jun 29, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #1,444 of 3,122
Hello, I do not have the AC (yet….) but I have read it works good for the Rock, guitars, etc

If you like live rock/blues please do check this album out. The voice of John Mayall is not what it was (70th birthday....), but the rest of the music (guitars, drums, piano, bass, harmonica…) is great, and I’m sure it will be good in the AC

(i.e tracks 6-9 with Mick Taylor on the scenario)

1688044620082.png

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #1,445 of 3,122
OK, another music recommendation and I'd especially like to hear from the suede faction on how this one sounds. :) Nickel Creek - Rest of My Life.

This is not a bass powerhouse of a song, and instead really showcases the imaging and stage of the Atriums. I've had actual difficulty listening to this on the AC because of just how far left and right it feels to my ears. It's kind of tickly to have the plucking guitars that far out in the right cup, you know? Or am I the only person that happens to?

Just me?

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #1,446 of 3,122
After some more extensive testing, I don't think the suede pads are coming off. I love how they not only make the sound more neutral but they still retain the incredible bass that make the Atrium Closed so special. It really is the best of both worlds - @goldwerger and @mattiastomas nailed it :). I really absolutely love the Atrium Closed - officially my favorite closed back headphone.

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #1,447 of 3,122
After some more extensive testing, I don't think the suede pads are coming off. I love how they not only make the sound more neutral but they still retain the incredible bass that make the Atrium Closed so special. It really is the best of both worlds - @goldwerger and @mattiastomas nailed it :). I really absolutely love the Atrium Closed - officially my favorite closed back headphone.
Hey now…
Your VC’s in the other room can still hear you, ya know. :p

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #1,448 of 3,122
Yeah. After more listening I’m definitely keeping the suede pads on. It’s really surprising how much difference the different pads make.

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #1,449 of 3,122

Really glad you like it! I'm still totally smitten with this combo :ksc75smile:

:beerchug:

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #1,450 of 3,122
Enough is enough. I always thought I’d be a leather boy for life but tomorrow I’ll try out to suede.

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #1,451 of 3,122
Enough is enough. I always thought I’d be a leather boy for life but tomorrow I’ll try out to suede.
Converting them to suede one at a time

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #1,452 of 3,122
Jul 1, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #1,453 of 3,122
My AC is (only) at the 50-hour burn in mark now, the sound seems to have matured a bit.
A few naive questions have come up in my mind:

1. What major differences am I to expect further down the road? How long is sufficient for complete burn in? 100, 150 hours? Will the soundstage open up a bit more?

2. There must be a reason why AC comes with thin pads right? Is it the control of sound reflections that doesn't work well with thick pads? Does anyone use thick pads on the AC with positive results here?

3. For those using tube amp with AC, do you guys bother to unplug the headphones before turning off and on? Otherwise, I do hear a popping sound sent through as the power surges/cuts off.

Thanks!

Jul 1, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #1,454 of 3,122
Does anyone use thick pads on the AC with positive results here?

Yes, the Caldera Suede pads are deeper. These also change the sound profile a bit, to the better for some.

Others prefer the stock Caldera Lamb Thin pads which you are using.

Info about both is in this thread further above. The only way to know is to try both, which I’d highly would encourage everyone to do.

For those using tube amp with AC, do you guys bother to unplug the headphones before turning off and on? Otherwise, I do hear a popping sound sent through as the power surges/cuts off.

Yes, it is a very good idea to always unplug your headphones from a tube and before turning it on or off.

What do you hear are the radical voltage swings of a tube anmp powering up or down. Those crackling sounds are at best unpleasant, at worst damaging.

Jul 1, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #1,455 of 3,122
I'll be honest. I thought the suede pads would kill the bass. They don't not at all. I didn't believe everyone when they said that. These are great and the bass is still incredible. I've been listening to some records for a few hours now. Super comfy as well. It is still early but I think I'm going to have these on for awhile.

It is nice to have options and switching them will get me better at pad swapping lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back