ZMF Atrium Closed
Jun 26, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #1,426 of 3,137
Can anyone point me to a photo of the Al chassis, just out of curiosity?

Here's a picture of my VO (African Blackwood) with Aluminum chassis:

1687837058424.png

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #1,427 of 3,137
Those are both wonderful specimans. Could you tell us what the woods/ colors are? As for the difference in appearance of the Mg vs. Al chassis, would you say that the Mg has a darker, more intense sheen?
Thank you! They are both Stabilized maple burl with copper rods/grilles- both on the blue color spectrum (Stabilized models can come in just about any color). To be honest the only time I notice a difference between the chassis is in higher/brighter light. In low light its much harder to tell the difference. The Mag chassis has a bit of a sheen to it whereas the Aluminum has more of a "matte" look to it in my opinion.

Holy turquoise moly, Batman! Those are incredible and stunning. Thank you for sharing a great photo!
Thank you!

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #1,428 of 3,137
So after about 10 days now of listening to the AC on the stock lambskin pads, I decided to swap out to the suede pads to give them a go.
Holy Cow! The AC now sounds so much better for me! Its like everything clicked into place! Tonally overall it sounds more balanced. There is a slight drop bass but I think overall I do prefer this sound signature. Will have to do more listening to be 100% sure.
Was listening to John Mayer's live album "Where The Light Is", the staging and instrument separation was more apparent to me. Really reminded me of the AO and that was the thing I remember the most about the AO that wow-ed me. Its not up to AO levels of staging and instrument separation but felt a lot closer to it with the suede pads over the lambskin.

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #1,429 of 3,137
So after about 10 days now of listening to the AC on the stock lambskin pads, I decided to swap out to the suede pads to give them a go.
Holy Cow! The AC now sounds so much better for me! Its like everything clicked into place! Tonally overall it sounds more balanced. There is a slight drop bass but I think overall I do prefer this sound signature. Will have to do more listening to be 100% sure.
Was listening to John Mayer's live album "Where The Light Is", the staging and instrument separation was more apparent to me. Really reminded me of the AO and that was the thing I remember the most about the AO that wow-ed me. Its not up to AO levels of staging and instrument separation but felt a lot closer to it with the suede pads over the lambskin.

That was exactly my experience

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #1,432 of 3,137
'Where the ligth is" Great album! Any change in comfort between the pads?

I normally use leather on all other ZMF (and other) headphones as I like the feel of it.

But I've found the suede really comfortable. In retrospect, perhaps slightly more comfortable than the Caldera leather pads (thought I find them also very comfortable.. I haven't yet come across a ZMF pads that I found uncomfortable 🤷‍♂️)

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #1,433 of 3,137
'Where the ligth is" Great album! Any change in comfort between the pads?
Its my first ZMF. I found the lambskin comfortable. Didn't have any comfort issues at all. That being said, I did find the suede slightly more comfy. I would be happy with either in terms of comfort.

Jun 27, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #1,434 of 3,137
I am also looking into cables. Am a complete noob to cables. Seems like the 3 main types are copper, silver and hybrid (copper + silver)? What would be a good match for the AC?

Jun 27, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #1,435 of 3,137
I am also looking into cables. Am a complete noob to cables. Seems like the 3 main types are copper, silver and hybrid (copper + silver)? What would be a good match for the AC?

Material doesn't always tell the whole story. Treatment, purity, diameter size, and amount of multi strands may affect the cable character. What part of sound that you expect to improve from the standard cable?

Jun 27, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #1,436 of 3,137
Material doesn't always tell the whole story. Treatment, purity, diameter size, and amount of multi strands may affect the cable character. What part of sound that you expect to improve from the standard cable?
You know that's a really good question. I'm not sure that I really know what I'm expecting to improve. Comfort and aesthetic wise I do know that I'm not a big fan of the ofc cable.

Jun 27, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #1,437 of 3,137
You know that's a really good question. I'm not sure that I really know what I'm expecting to improve. Comfort and aesthetic wise I do know that I'm not a big fan of the ofc cable.
Check out Lavricables -- crazy good value.

I'm someone who typically DIY's my own high-end cables for a fraction of the cost, but my last cable purchase was from Lavricables.

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #1,438 of 3,137
Check out Lavricables -- crazy good value.

I'm someone who typically DIY's my own high-end cables for a fraction of the cost, but my last cable purchase was from Lavricables.
Picked up used Lavricables Grand Line (the newer LITZ 6n version that have been burned in well over 150 hrs) for my HD800S w/ 4.4 termination and liked them so much I immediately got online to order the grand line XLR and grand line ZMF headphone cables w/ upgraded connectors for my chain. Also picked up used master line USB cable since most of my streaming comes from PC and IPhone/Ipad via apple music. Couldn't be happier and at ease knowing I got TOTL at a really good price. I'm sure there's better out there like 7n OCC silver but its double the price. I see lots of people that helped me out in this thread and appreciate you guys for narrowing down my research. Keep your eyes open for reviews here as there are many silver cables out there! More expensive doesn't always mean better from what I've experienced.

Jun 27, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #1,439 of 3,137
More expensive doesn't always mean better from what I've experienced.
Like everything else in this hobby, system synergy is the deciding factor.

Jun 27, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #1,440 of 3,137
Like everything else in this hobby, system synergy is the deciding factor.
To @Monsterzero ’s point, this recommendation is based on my ears/taste and system synergy- BUT I will say that copper/silver hybrid cables sound amazing with the biocellulose driver Eikon, and I fully expect the AC is the same way.

As such, it would be worth considering a cable such as the Norne Audio Vykari fusion.

Cheap? No. Amazing sound quality, build quality, and customer service? Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back