ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Jun 26, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #1,411 of 3,116
wow those are all amazing

Jun 26, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #1,412 of 3,116
Picked these Atrium closed up at canjam Chicago. You gotta love zmf, no one else is dropping art hifi like this 😍😁

1000022163.jpg1000022162.jpg

Details? They look amazing!

Jun 26, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #1,413 of 3,116
I feel spoiled by the AC now. After about 35 hours of burn in they are starting to sound much better. I used to love the sound of my Arya V2 and LCD-X. But now I feel like they may not get a lot of play time. Seriously considering selling them and saving up for a Caldera. Once you've heard good stuff its hard to go back to what you had before 😅

Jun 26, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #1,414 of 3,116
I feel spoiled by the AC now. After about 35 hours of burn in they are starting to sound much better. I used to love the sound of my Arya V2 and LCD-X. But now I feel like they may not get a lot of play time. Seriously considering selling them and saving up for a Caldera. Once you've heard good stuff its hard to go back to what you had before 😅
I had the same experience. My first listen of the Atrium Closed was a bit underwhelming...but it's because it's different. After a while I now find them not only my favorite closed back, but one of my overall favorites! They are so much fun to play on various amps and pads too.

Jun 26, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #1,415 of 3,116
Jun 26, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #1,416 of 3,116
Wait until you hear the Caldera 😉

Jun 26, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #1,417 of 3,116
Wait until you hear the Caldera 😉
I'm really afraid to. My wallet might not survive 😅. I was supposed to go to Canjam Chicago this past weekend but decided against it. I knew that I would end up leaving with some variant of ZMF headphone. Wallet is recovering from the Olivewood AC I just got.
Am saving up and aiming for either ZMF November or Canjam NYC March next year. That way I'd go straight for a stabilized / special wood set 😮‍💨

Jun 26, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #1,418 of 3,116
I'm having trouble figuring out how the magnesium chassis differs in appearance from the aluminum chassis, if there's indeed a difference. I haven't been able to find any photos identified as showing the aluminum. Thanks in advance!

Jun 26, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,419 of 3,116
I'm having trouble figuring out how the magnesium chassis differs in appearance from the aluminum chassis, if there's indeed a difference. I haven't been able to find any photos identified as showing the aluminum. Thanks in advance!

Typically -

Aluminum will look like silver colored metal

Magnesium would look like as coppery/yellowish colored metal

Magneiums can sometimes be painted metal (e.g. black; though, in such cases one would be advised to confirm what the metal beneath would be)

best it so always ask for original purchase, which would include this spec (and of course, if you buy directly from ZMF, that info is given in your purchase options)

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #1,420 of 3,116
Thanks goldberger. I just purchased an AC with Mg chassis from Junglebook3 here on HF. So I know it's magnesium, and black. Can anyone point me to a photo of the Al chassis, just out of curiosity?

Jun 26, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #1,421 of 3,116
Thanks goldberger. I just purchased an AC with Mg chassis from Junglebook3 here on HF. So I know it's magnesium, and black. Can anyone point me to a photo of the Al chassis, just out of curiosity?
I have the Black Magnesium Chassis on the Verite Closed on the Left and the Atrium has the Aluminum Chassis on the Right- hopefully this is a helpful comparison!

DSC_0360.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #1,422 of 3,116
A quick comment to say how thoroughly happy I am with my new olivewood AC. These are as new as they can be and already sound great -- I feel the emotion of the music as much as I do on my open Atrium albeit in a slightly different way, more low-low end, different sound stage. So far it seems like the perfect closed back for me.

As for aesthetics, no pictures yet, but -- my first two ZMFs were the sapele Aeolus and AO and I was already thoroughly satisfied with the feel and look of the wood. Next I got the Atrium in koa. It feels like an injustice to say that this is more beautiful than the sapele, but... it is. And now, the olivewood. Yes, we're not comparing apples to apples, this has a different finish and doesn't have the chatoyance. But it is hands down my absolute favorite. The pattern, the feel, the slight uneven surface as I run my fingers across it... nothing can feel more organic and more right in terms of a natural wood cup than this. Personally, I have reached peak ZMF. :) Thank you Zach, Bevin and the team at ZMF.

Jun 26, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #1,423 of 3,116
I always go for the aluminum chassis on my ZMFs if given the choice. I prefer the more durable anodized aluminum over the painted magnesium that saves a little weight. I know the magnesium chassis’ durability has improved over the years, but I always feel safer with the aluminum.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #1,424 of 3,116
I have the Black Magnesium Chassis on the Verite Closed on the Left and the Atrium has the Aluminum Chassis on the Right- hopefully this is a helpful comparison!

DSC_0360.jpg
Holy turquoise moly, Batman! Those are incredible and stunning. Thank you for sharing a great photo!

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #1,425 of 3,116
Those are both wonderful specimans. Could you tell us what the woods/ colors are? As for the difference in appearance of the Mg vs. Al chassis, would you say that the Mg has a darker, more intense sheen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back