ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Jun 20, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #1,352 of 3,119
Just curious if the switching to the suede pads on the [Olive] AC could temper (moderate) the bass a bit. Thank you.

They do, same with Caldera thick pads. Though tbh powerful but controlled bass is what makes this headphone so unique in the first place.

Jun 20, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #1,353 of 3,119
Thanks. Just FYI here, after experimenting with several cables, I get the best results with my Meze Silver cable (balanced).
Edit: Silvers are too bright on my VC, but they are just right on the AC. With the VC, I like ZMFs hybrid Copper/Silver cable a lot, but really like the Dana Lazuli Ref.
Cables are very important to tune these 2 headphones I find. They are very sensitive to cables.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #1,354 of 3,119
Thanks. Just FYI here, after experimenting with several cables, I get the best results with my Meze Silver cable (balanced).
Ah funny enough using Furukawa Meze Silver plated XLR too with the cans, AC sounds great with it.

Jun 20, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #1,355 of 3,119
Ah funny enough using Furukawa Meze Silver plated XLR too with the cans, AC sounds great with it.
This does not surprise me at all- the Norne Einvaldi (silver/copper fusion) cable sounds spectacular with the ZMF Eikon- really exceptional. It makes me think there is a great synergy between silver/copper combos and the ZMF biocellulose drivers.

Jun 20, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,356 of 3,119
This does not surprise me at all- the Norne Einvaldi (silver/copper fusion) cable sounds spectacular with the ZMF Eikon- really exceptional. It makes me think there is a great synergy between silver/copper combos and the ZMF biocellulose drivers.
In the same time using pure 4 Litz 5N silver by Gladiator cables for my Caldera, a perfect match too :)

Jun 20, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #1,357 of 3,119
Just curious if the switching to the suede pads on the [Olive] AC could temper (moderate) the bass a bit. Thank you.

Yes a bit. Still tremendous sub-bass and lower bass with the Caldera Suede pads, but a little less than with Caldera Thin and (for my very subjective preference) better transition to the mids and overall more tonally balanced.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #1,358 of 3,119
Hi All,

Just got my ZMF Atrium unaged Cherry and they looked great throughout until I noticed these black marks on the middle of my headphones.

Are these normal? I don't see any black marks anywhere else besides the inner part of these earcups. Does anyone have a unaged Cherry pair that I can compare mine to?

Edit: they are infact normal

Attachments

• 20230620_155401.jpg
    20230620_155401.jpg
    947.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_155412.jpg
    20230620_155412.jpg
    971.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,359 of 3,119
Hi All,

Just got my ZMF Atrium unaged Cherry and they looked great throughout until I noticed these black marks on the middle of my headphones.

Are these normal? I don't see any black marks anywhere else besides the inner part of these earcups. Does anyone have a unaged Cherry pair that I can compare mine to?
Yeah, those are nothing to worry about.

Lovey pair you got -- I bet those will look really sweet here in a few years (I love the aged cherry look).

Jun 20, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,362 of 3,119
That's surprising since I know ZMF has a very in-depth QA process. Not to mention, I believe they also try to match the left and right drivers within a specific tolerance.

Can you try a completely different cable alongside a different source to verify that it's still exhibiting that behavior?

Since your source works fine with the Utopia, I’d definitely want to try a different cable as my first step.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #1,363 of 3,119
Looks like a natural part of the wood grain to me. They're always pretty clear about variation in wood. Looks totally normal.

Jun 20, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #1,364 of 3,119
Thats what I was hoping for. The finish was so close to being perfect :frowning2:. These black marks and the fact the headphones don't even work properly is really disappointing...
I don't think those are "black marks." They look like a natural feature of the wood to me, because you can see how they follow the grain. Those spots probably absorbed more of the stain or something, but I'm sure Zach could give a more thorough explanation.

Jun 20, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #1,365 of 3,119
I don't think those are "black marks." They look like a natural feature of the wood to me, because you can see how they follow the grain. Those spots probably absorbed more of the stain or something, but I'm sure Zach could give a more thorough explanation.

That looks like mineral streaks to me. It's part of makes wood interesting.

Edit, added a picture of a guitar with mineral streaks for reference:

37342803636_55fde9f36a_k.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back