ZMF Atrium Closed
Jun 16, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #1,336 of 3,180
Rediscovering Radiohead with Atrium Closed recently, the weight that it add to the notes is something I missed in their recordings with many other high end headphones. KID A is absolutely amazing with AC.

Jun 16, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #1,337 of 3,180
Rediscovering Radiohead with Atrium Closed recently, the weight that it add to the notes is something I missed in their recordings with many other high end headphones. KID A is absolutely amazing with AC.

You are speaking my (musical love) language now! Radiohead is one of my fave bands and I’ll look forward to getting an AC and playing ALL the Radiohead albums with it… 😁

Jun 16, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #1,338 of 3,180
After a few more hours with the Atrium Closed, I'm ready to share some more in-depth initial impressions!

First off, the bass is everything that has been raved about in this thread. I will start with this: It is NOT boomy. Yes, there are gobs of bass on hand but it is well controlled and lends itself much more towards the sub-bass than mid-bass. And I will add that I think this is probably the best bass I've ever heard in any headphone I've owned to date. It has gotten to the point that whenever I've listened to something else, I'm left wondering how it would sound on the AC and missing that sweet, sweet bass. It adds character to every song, makes you tap your feet that much more and just makes you feel the music so well. I am absolutely in love with the bass that this headphone puts out.

Onto the mids - there were a lot of reviews that talked about vocals sounding more recessed/pushed back relative to the rest of the mix. When I responded that I was worried about this, Zach described the vocals not as being recessed in the way many might think, but just being more relaxed/non-fatiguing. I'd agree with Zach's assessment fully. I don't find the vocals to be recessed - in fact, they are pretty present but they are 100% non-fatiguing and I don't ever hit that point where I might on another headphone where a certain inflection might make me wince. I also think the vocals and instruments sound so natural which is exactly what I loved about the Atrium Open. Guitars just sound right. Vocals just sound right. And to top it off, I could listen for hours as it doesn't fatigue me at all.

Treble is well extended and, I might skewered for this, but I think the Atrium Closed might actually have more detail than the Verite Closed. Maybe it's the newer damping system, but I'm picking up more details in my music than I had been with the Verite and it's been very fun to catch some of those details as I'm listening to familiar songs. Lastly, soundstage is fricken' fantastic. It almost feels like I'm listening to an open-back headphone. Wider/Taller soundstage than the VC's in my opinion, as well.

I haven't been able to compare as much to the VC as I'd like so I don't have a more detailed comparison there just yet but will eventually after enough listening time. So far, I'm extremely impressed. And the best part is, I probably have 10 hours or so on them so far and I know they open up a lot more than most so I'm excited to see how this continues to evolve/get even better over time. Killer headphones.

Jun 16, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #1,339 of 3,180
I don't find the vocals to be recessed

I agree. It depends also whether these are lower mids, which are more laidack to my ears (such as lower male vocals) vs. upper mids to presence region, which to me are in fact quite forward and more intimate (usually female vocals and instruments in this register).

Overall, timbre is wonderful across the board, making these heapdhones sound so natural. One of the happiest meeting points of natural presentation and enjoyment.

1686968097182.png

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #1,342 of 3,180
Jun 18, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,343 of 3,180
Did you not like their sound signature?

The sound wasn’t a factor. I really didn’t listen to it. I put music through it just to make sure it worked properly before selling it.

I’m selling it because in the interim while I waiting for them I bought an Empyrean Elite and I really like them. I just bought a new home and moved out of state and moved. I really can’t afford to have two headphones.

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #1,344 of 3,180
I will have my AC in less than a week. I ordered it with the stock pads (which I understand are the Caldera leather - NOT thin version) and Caldera suede.

Is there a consensus on what the other two Caldera pads do for the sound? So we're talking about four other options, right?

1. Caldera leather thin
2. Caldera leather thick
3. Caldera cowhide
4. Caldera ultra perf (why does this even work on a closed back if fully perforated?)

Thanks for the thoughts. Not asking because never satisfied, just planning on what a third pad might be eventually.

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #1,345 of 3,180
The sound wasn’t a factor. I really didn’t listen to it. I put music through it just to make sure it worked properly before selling it.

I’m selling it because in the interim while I waiting for them I bought an Empyrean Elite and I really like them. I just bought a new home and moved out of state and moved. I really can’t afford to have two headphones.
Completely understandable, thanks for sharing.

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #1,346 of 3,180
I will have my AC in less than a week. I ordered it with the stock pads (which I understand are the Caldera leather - NOT thin version) and Caldera suede.

Is there a consensus on what the other two Caldera pads do for the sound? So we're talking about four other options, right?

1. Caldera leather thin
2. Caldera leather thick
3. Caldera cowhide
4. Caldera ultra perf (why does this even work on a closed back if fully perforated?)

Thanks for the thoughts. Not asking because never satisfied, just planning on what a third pad might be eventually.
I wouldn't really recommend using the other Caldera pads except suede, I did extensive testing and what it comes down to is that the finite space in a closed back chnages things so so much with minor chnages to pads, that I don't believe the sound of the other options to be as cohesive as these two. More dips and peaks really that aren't worth trying IMHO.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 19, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #1,347 of 3,180
I wouldn't really recommend using the other Caldera pads except suede, I did extensive testing and what it comes down to is that the finite space in a closed back chnages things so so much with minor chnages to pads, that I don't believe the sound of the other options to be as cohesive as these two. More dips and peaks really that aren't worth trying IMHO.
Are there dimensions for the Caldera thin pads anywhere on the ZMF site? I'm was looking specifically for the depth as even on the Universe pads I find parts of my ear touch the back driver cover and get sore after not too long. On the pad store page it seems to list the dimensions for the stock pads (max 25mm, min 20mm) but I couldn't find what the thin pads measured at.

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #1,348 of 3,180
Did a small showcase for a few of my friends, wish I took better pictures though. Impressions and comparisons to follow
LMC_20230617_235248_Str47_ultimate.jpg
LMC_20230619_171214_Str47_ultimate~2.jpg
IMG_20230618_003044_844~2.jpg
IMG_20230618_003047_448~2.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #1,349 of 3,180
Completely agree with this.

While I don't currently have all the Caldera pads, every other pad I've tried (Perf and Non-Perf) don't come close to the Caldera Thin and Caldera Suede pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back