ZMF Atrium Closed
Jun 10, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #1,306 of 3,264
For me personally, I prefer the harder wood for classic rock.

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #1,307 of 3,264
Yeah that is my quote, and I still agree with that sentiment, but if you read between the lines and came away with the impression that the bass was quantity and not quality on the softer wood, then perhaps I lead you astray.

There's only so much detail I can add to a video and still keep the review short, concise and to the point. There's no real value in me talking about my DAC and amp, cables, music preferences in detailed depth in a review, as I'm probably definitely the only human on the planet with the Merason>Airmid>AC chain. Yet, as you know, all of ones chain will have an impact on what reaches your ears.

Further only you know what peferences you have when it comes to how you prefer various genres of music to sound. I won't even get into how the various pads will influence all of the above. For me, I almost always end up prefering the stock pads and my reviews are based upon those unless otherwise noted.

Best way to summarize it is: Both the soft and hard wood variants of the AC will deliver gobs of hard hitting and deep tight rumbling bass, but the softer versions will take that bass up a notch or two, while still keeping the bass quality.

Apologies if my review did not make that clear.
FWIW @Monsterzero , I thought you were very clear indeed: From your perspective and with your gear, you recommended the Olive LTD AC if you’re a multi-genre listener (and prefer tighter bass), and if you are a bass head who listens to reggae or other genres that benefit from more (super-quality) bass with more decay and power, the Cherry AC is more for you.

I personally took away from your excellent review that with my chain (below) and multi-genre listening, I’d likely be very happy with the Cherry model, but even more so with the Olive LTD or any future hardwood AC unit.

I am not criticizing anyone, just representing what I took away from watching your review.

I will be very happy with an AC regardless of wood, I’m sure, but the nuances were very helpful. 🤘😝🤘

Jun 10, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #1,308 of 3,264
FWIW @Monsterzero , I thought you were very clear indeed: From your perspective and with your gear, you recommended the Olive LTD AC if you’re a multi-genre listener (and prefer tighter bass), and if you are a bass head who listens to reggae or other genres that benefit from more (super-quality) bass with more decay and power, the Cherry AC is more for you.

I personally took away from your excellent review that with my chain (below) and multi-genre listening, I’d likely be very happy with the Cherry model, but even more so with the Olive LTD or any future hardwood AC unit.

I am not criticizing anyone, just representing what I took away from watching your review.

I will be very happy with an AC regardless of wood, I’m sure, but the nuances were very helpful. 🤘😝🤘

I had amended that post earlier.

“No need to apologize. I actually came away with the wrong impression the first time, and when I went back to it now I got the opposite impression.”

Jun 11, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #1,309 of 3,264
Does ZMF send status updates still? I haven't had any since my order, so I assumed they dropped that approach.
We should be sending them out, I'll talk to our production manager tomorrow and see what's going on. Sometimes things get out of whack with release stuff because when more than usual amounts of headphones are ordered and more being made the regular time lines get mottled in weird ways. It can just be hard to estimate things when there so many parts of the mfr process from raw wood to finished product.

As a reminder, we do move in a general order, but sometimes serial numbers aren't shipped in succinct order as they arrive due to the myriad of customizations that headphones can be ordered with.

As many of you know too, we've been battling the Olive wood and the reception of it even with my harsh disclaimers on the product page and at checkout, so we have a little ptsd over that and are being extra careful.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 11, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #1,310 of 3,264
Was tied up at work and didnt realize it was shipped until it showed up yesterday evening at my front door! Those looks damn so stunning in person than in picture!

Right off the bat noticed it requires a bit more oomph for amp volume pot, say if my VC is at 10'0 clock position for my normal listening this needs to be at least at 11 'clock position for my ears to have same volume level. May be coz of different drivers? Not a knock by any means just a quick observation and gonna let this burn over the weekend.

The fit and comfort are very nice btw - feels more comfortable than VC to me and VC is no slouch either.
nicest looking olive IMO

Jun 11, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #1,311 of 3,264
As many of you know too, we've been battling the Olive wood and the reception of it even with my harsh disclaimers on the product page and at checkout, so we have a little ptsd over that and are being extra careful.
Has the reception really been negative for Olive Wood outside of the one situation posted here? Regardless, appreciate how ZMF always reacts in only the most customer-friendly ways whenever any concern/issue pops up. My olive wood arrives tomorrow and I couldn’t be more stoked!

Jun 11, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #1,312 of 3,264
Has the reception really been negative for Olive Wood outside of the one situation posted here? Regardless, appreciate how ZMF always reacts in only the most customer-friendly ways whenever any concern/issue pops up. My olive wood arrives tomorrow and I couldn’t be more stoked!
Olive wood just varies so much, and I think every owner before they receive it dreams of what it might look like - understandably so. So with a wood that varies as much as olive that includes inclusions and aberrations that are natural to the species, it often won't meet the vision/dream even if we picture a couple examples that are typical in the product page. In a wood like olive, there's like 10 types of looks to the wood or more!

Even when we follow written notes with a wood like olive it can be hard to make sure we are following what the note meant to the owner, as adjectives can be interpreted in a lot of ways.

But yeah in the end we try to make sure both we and the owner are happy with the headphone, and usually that is the case thankfully!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 12, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #1,313 of 3,264
My Atrium Closed just arrived!! I gotta go be responsible and work out before I dive into these to listen for a few hours tonight but I had to snap a couple pictures as they are SO BEAUTIFUL!

Huge shout out to Zach and team - I put a note about how much I really wanted a very figured olive wood and they delivered in spades. Couldn’t be more stoked about how these look. I’ll be back with first impressions after I get a few hours on these!

IMG_1257.jpeg

IMG_1258.jpeg

Jun 12, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #1,314 of 3,264
My Atrium Closed just arrived!! I gotta go be responsible and work out before I dive into these to listen for a few hours tonight but I had to snap a couple pictures as they are SO BEAUTIFUL!

Huge shout out to Zach and team - I put a note about how much I really wanted a very figured olive wood and they delivered in spades. Couldn’t be more stoked about how these look. I’ll be back with first impressions after I get a few hours on these!

IMG_1257.jpeg

IMG_1258.jpeg
Wowza, absolutely gorgeous! Congrats!

Looking forward to your impressions, especially being a fellow VC-lover.

Jun 12, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #1,315 of 3,264

IMG_1257.jpeg

IMG_1258.jpeg
Wow! Those are simply beautiful!

Jun 12, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #1,316 of 3,264

IMG_1257.jpeg

IMG_1258.jpeg
Simply gorgeous ! Congrats. The wood grain of AC and grumpy goose looks like a perfect match.

Jun 12, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #1,317 of 3,264
I want the stand!!!

Jun 12, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #1,318 of 3,264

IMG_1257.jpeg

IMG_1258.jpeg
What a lovely combo (AC and GG). Hearty congratulations!

Jun 13, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #1,319 of 3,264

IMG_1257.jpeg

IMG_1258.jpeg
These are absolutely stunning! (and so is the stand)
Congratulations!

The olive wood has a grain really beautiful and natural

Jun 13, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #1,320 of 3,264

IMG_1257.jpeg

IMG_1258.jpeg

Olivewood?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back