ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jul 13, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #4,711 of 6,741
New family member - Ballonné

I’ve previously owned an Eikon and VC so thought I would be underwhelmed with the Aeolus… but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Zach manages to make all his headphones sound great in their own unique ways.

935DE67D-06F0-4BCD-A5EA-555A07A10F41.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #4,712 of 6,741
That is nice.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #4,713 of 6,741
Guys - I've found the holy grail.

Eufonika!

A polish guy making tube amps for CHEAP - and I'd take my H5 over a BHC. And yea they're pre-built extremely well and sound godlike. And the customer support is beyond awesome. Got a review coming soon, once I'm well enough again, anf you won't be disappointed. This is what we've been waiting for.

I thought I got the whole tube and OTL thing with Aeolus, but the H5 gave me a revalation! Perfection for under half of FeliksEcho mk2. Hmmmm.

Edit: double post, not sure how but apologies

I've been looking at the Eufonika amps previously, they seem to be getting a great name for themselves. Have you heard a BHC to compare the two?

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #4,716 of 6,741
Without knowing a ton about tube amps in general and Woo or Feliks in particular, another tube amp I'd be looking at pairing with the Aeolus is the Feliks Audio Espressivo Mk II. Still pricey but cheaper than most of Woo Audio's offerings, with perhaps a different sound profile for different tastes.

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #4,718 of 6,741
New family member - Ballonné

I’ve previously owned an Eikon and VC so thought I would be underwhelmed with the Aeolus… but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Zach manages to make all his headphones sound great in their own unique ways.

935DE67D-06F0-4BCD-A5EA-555A07A10F41.jpeg

How do you like it vs your other ZMF headphones?

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #4,719 of 6,741
Congrats ! Nice looking Aeolus you've got. After extensive hours listening to my VO, I thought I will be underwhelmed with Aeolus... no it has never happen. Each time when I put on my Aeolus, the sonic traits on the mids simply shine... so euphonic and addictive. It may not resolve as well as other TOTL headphones but it holds its own very well. It will be a mistake for anyone not trying out the Aeolus or selling it post an upgrade.

edit: typo

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #4,720 of 6,741
Congrats ! Nice looking Aeolus you've got. After extensive hours listening to my VO, I thought I will be underwhelmed with Aeolus... no it has never happen. Each time when I put on my Aeolus, the sonic traits on the mids simply shine... so euphonic and addictive. It may not resove as well as other TOTL headphones but it holds its own very well. It will be a mistake for anyone not trying out the Aeolus or selling it post an upgrade.
I agree 100%. Couldn’t have said it any better.

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #4,721 of 6,741
How do you like it vs your other ZMF headphones?
The only reason I “downgraded” from a VC to Aeolus was I wanted to buy my own set of ZMFs new and choose the wood/color of my choice. I got lucky with picking up a stabilized. For me half the enjoyment is the beauty and look of a pair of ZMFs and the other half is listening. As AudioPowerHead said above the Aeolus are very euphonic.. a really fun listening headphone. You’ll get greater resolution or more soundstage as you move up to a VC. However with the Aeolus I don’t think about trying to pick out details as much and just enjoy the music.

Jul 15, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #4,722 of 6,741
The worst part about ZMF is the wait time. I sold my Edition X V2 to fund an Aeolus and I'm still waiting. So I have to live without proper headphones for about 3 months which is quite hard!
I wanted something different and I hope Aeolus delivers that.

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #4,723 of 6,741
The worst part about ZMF is the wait time. I sold my Edition X V2 to fund an Aeolus and I'm still waiting. So I have to live without proper headphones for about 3 months which is quite hard!
I wanted something different and I hope Aeolus delivers that.
Hopefully not 3 months. I ordered some recently and waited 9 weeks. It will be worth the wait :beyersmile:

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #4,724 of 6,741
After listening to a few of my other headphones for a few weeks I returned to my beloved Aeolus last night. Listening to the Aeolus again almost feels like coming home - if I were asked to describe the sound of the Aeolus in one word I would say that the Aeolus sounds inviting - and it sounds great with my Woo Audio WA3 tube amp!

This is how I felt about the Atticus today after listening to Empyrean, LCD XC, LCD 2 and LCD 3 at a dealer today. Its made me think that maybe I should add Aeolus to my collection.

Jul 18, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #4,725 of 6,741
This is how I felt about the Atticus today after listening to Empyrean, LCD XC, LCD 2 and LCD 3 at a dealer today. Its made me think that maybe I should add Aeolus to my collection.
I say go ahead. I debated a bit before placing my order for the Aeolus. Do I really need another headphone? However, after receiving it and listening to it for a while it's become one of my absolute favorite headphones - and it's very well made with beautiful wood. It feels like an heirloom piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back