ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jul 8, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #4,697 of 6,740
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #4,699 of 6,740
Thanks guys! I searched but couldn't find it.

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #4,701 of 6,740
Hello there! I am a relatively new owner of a set of Aelous headphones, purchased new from ZMF. There is a *lot* I like about them (mids, highs, looks, comfort, ZMF as a company, etc) - however the one thing that's been nagging me ever since I started listening is the sense that I'm not getting the "punchy" lows that so many people who've reviewed them have talked about - that, or I've misinterpreted what folks have been saying.

It's also possible my expectations are just skewed - as I've been going back and forth between these and my HD-58x, which I originally thought had tremendous slam, the Aeolus actually has a bit more (though it may have less "bloom" which I might be interpreting as lacking overall).

I have an Emotiva A-100, and a Drop THX 789. The A-100 seems to offer a bit more overall dynamic punch (jumpers installed), while the 789 offers an overall smoother sound (I use the "balanced" output) (the A-100 gets harsh to my ears at moderate levels on most sets I have on hand) - is it possible these are just poorly matched? I would love to see how these sound on a proper tube amp (Dark Voice? Valhalla 2? Tor Roger?), but am a little hesitant to invest another few hundred bucks in something that just might not be there at all. Any suggestions or thoughts on the matter?

I will say - (unrealistic?) bass expectations notwithstanding, these are clearly better than the HD-58x that I've loved for a year, in just about every way imaginable I think. Mids are just glorious, and I really feel like the high-end is just beautifully presented. Even the bass, while not as impactful as I had hoped, is gorgeously defined. I think, overall, these just sound like a very nicely balanced headphone, while I was expecting something a bit, mmm, warmer and "gooier" based on everything I'd read.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #4,702 of 6,740
Hello there! I am a relatively new owner of a set of Aelous headphones, purchased new from ZMF. There is a *lot* I like about them (mids, highs, looks, comfort, ZMF as a company, etc) - however the one thing that's been nagging me ever since I started listening is the sense that I'm not getting the "punchy" lows that so many people who've reviewed them have talked about - that, or I've misinterpreted what folks have been saying.

It's also possible my expectations are just skewed - as I've been going back and forth between these and my HD-58x, which I originally thought had tremendous slam, the Aeolus actually has a bit more (though it may have less "bloom" which I might be interpreting as lacking overall).

I have an Emotiva A-100, and a Drop THX 789. The A-100 seems to offer a bit more overall dynamic punch (jumpers installed), while the 789 offers an overall smoother sound (I use the "balanced" output) (the A-100 gets harsh to my ears at moderate levels on most sets I have on hand) - is it possible these are just poorly matched? I would love to see how these sound on a proper tube amp (Dark Voice? Valhalla 2? Tor Roger?), but am a little hesitant to invest another few hundred bucks in something that just might not be there at all. Any suggestions or thoughts on the matter?

I will say - (unrealistic?) bass expectations notwithstanding, these are clearly better than the HD-58x that I've loved for a year, in just about every way imaginable I think. Mids are just glorious, and I really feel like the high-end is just beautifully presented. Even the bass, while not as impactful as I had hoped, is gorgeously defined. I think, overall, these just sound like a very nicely balanced headphone, while I was expecting something a bit, mmm, warmer and "gooier" based on everything I'd read.
1st question I'd ask is which pads you're using as that probably changes the sound more than anything.

Overall though it's tough to say since I'm not familiar with your amps (nor DACs). I don't find Aeolus bass to be the most "slammy" but quite satisfying nonetheless. Bass is usually rich but not too gooey IME, depending upon synergy among other things. It is right up my sonic alley overall.

In other words I'm not sure if it's a preference thing or something about your chain that might satisfy you.

I'd be lying if I said I knew, but I'm guessing a different amp might be what you're looking for, but in general I think SS amps have more slam than tubes (gross overgeneralization there but true nonetheless IME)

Good luck!

Jul 10, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #4,703 of 6,740
1st question I'd ask is which pads you're using as that probably changes the sound more than anything.

Overall though it's tough to say since I'm not familiar with your amps (nor DACs). I don't find Aeolus bass to be the most "slammy" but quite satisfying nonetheless. Bass is usually rich but not too gooey IME, depending upon synergy among other things. It is right up my sonic alley overall.

In other words I'm not sure if it's a preference thing or something about your chain that might satisfy you.

I'd be lying if I said I knew, but I'm guessing a different amp might be what you're looking for, but in general I think SS amps have more slam than tubes (gross overgeneralization there but true nonetheless IME)

Good luck!
You know what, I didn’t even think about the DAC. At the moment I’m just using the analog out of my Bluesound Node. Looking back at when I first bought the 58X and was wowed by its bass, I would probably have been using a Schiit Fulla 2 as DAC from my pc. Unfortunately the USB input on that thing isn’t working any more so I can’t just swap it back in to check. I’ve been thinking about picking up a new one anyway - something like the Schiit Modius is attractive from a price and features standpoint. I’m really out of my element in this regard, what have other folks had good luck with paired to their Aeolus?

Regarding pads, I have both the lamb skin and hybrid (both perforated). The original Aeolus pads weren’t an option anymore. The full leather pads warm up the sound nicely for my tastes but don’t do much in the way of low end impact or extension.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #4,704 of 6,740

I had a 789 as my daily amp. It was fine for me based on the headphones I had at the time I got it. But when I got a real tube amp, it changed my entire opinion on the Aeolus in a positive direction. Including waking up the bass. I mean, they kinda improve imaging and dynamics across the whole FR imho. As a first amp, I'd probably look at the Dark Voice and then a Woo audio as a step up from that. Pretty happy with my ZDT Jr for now. If those were still for sale I'd rec that fer sure. They show up used occasionally.

Just from my take, one of the more user friendly ways to get into tubes is through these high impedance dynamic headphones like ZMF and HD6xx series. Certainly easier than tube amps for speakers. Tubes are wonderful and really make this hobby even more interesting than the specification cops could ever imagine, but they can be high maintenance if you go down the rabbit hole of tube rolling. My advice there is to keep it simple. If you want bass, find an amp that comes with warm stock tubes or can accept tube upgrades known for their bass. You'll have to some tube homework :D but it's worth it.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #4,705 of 6,740
I had a 789 as my daily amp. It was fine for me based on the headphones I had at the time I got it. But when I got a real tube amp, it changed my entire opinion on the Aeolus in a positive direction. Including waking up the bass. I mean, they kinda improve imaging and dynamics across the whole FR imho. As a first amp, I'd probably look at the Dark Voice and then a Woo audio as a step up from that. Pretty happy with my ZDT Jr for now. If those were still for sale I'd rec that fer sure. They show up used occasionally.

Just from my take, one of the more user friendly ways to get into tubes is through these high impedance dynamic headphones like ZMF and HD6xx series. Certainly easier than tube amps for speakers. Tubes are wonderful and really make this hobby even more interesting than the specification cops could ever imagine, but they can be high maintenance if you go down the rabbit hole of tube rolling. My advice there is to keep it simple. If you want bass, find an amp that comes with warm stock tubes or can accept tube upgrades known for their bass. You'll have to some tube homework :D but it's worth it.
Thank you for this. Speaking of Woo, I’m going to assume most folks would consider something like the WA6 as superior to the dark voice? I’m curious what exactly that means in the context of a tube amp, if it’s the tube providing the power? I also really like the look of the WA7 and the *idea* of an all-in-one, especially if I want a DAC down the road anyway. Should I assume the WA7 is either less powerful or less tube-ey just given the fact it doesn’t have the single gigantic tube like the dark voice or WA6? Would either of those attributes make it more or less attractive in the context of the Aeolus?

Jul 10, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #4,706 of 6,740
Thank you for this. Speaking of Woo, I’m going to assume most folks would consider something like the WA6 as superior to the dark voice? I’m curious what exactly that means in the context of a tube amp, if it’s the tube providing the power? I also really like the look of the WA7 and the *idea* of an all-in-one, especially if I want a DAC down the road anyway. Should I assume the WA7 is either less powerful or less tube-ey just given the fact it doesn’t have the single gigantic tube like the dark voice or WA6? Would either of those attributes make it more or less attractive in the context of the Aeolus?
I'm not sure what it is, but the WA7 never did much for me with any of the ZMFs. It was a great match for the HD700 and a nice work of art to have on my desk. But in general it isn't one I'd recommend for the Aeolus.

Jul 10, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #4,707 of 6,740
I'm not sure what it is, but the WA7 never did much for me with any of the ZMFs. It was a great match for the HD700 and a nice work of art to have on my desk. But in general it isn't one I'd recommend for the Aeolus.
That is good to know. As I have been thinking about it, a DAC with *only* a single USB input isn't quite what I'm looking for. And call me shallow, but those bulbous tubes in the WA6 and DarkVoice are just so aesthetically appealing.

I have actually been spending a good amount of time again listening to the Aeolus (I had packed them up for sale a couple weeks ago, just broke them out again yesterday) today, and I'm not quite sure what has changed, but I am really, really enjoying them this time around with the same exact equipment (Spotify -> Bluesound Node -> Drop THX 789 -> balanced out). Maybe it has to do with the music, it's been a lot of mellow easy-listening, but the moment I heard the trumpet in "Prayer of Saint Gregory" (Album: "Eben; Hovhaness; Sommerfeld; Lindberg"), I fell in absolute love. Classical is not one of the genres I tend to frequent, but this is one track I've had in my playlists for a while and this is the best I've ever heard it.

I do think I should invest in a real DAC. The SMSL SU-9 is kind of at the top of my list right now, and I'm not at all embarrassed to admit it's because of the "sound color" options (specifically the ones labelled "rich" and "tube"). I think this is the next move I will make, and a new amp would be further down the line. Very much appreciate all of the advice and knowledge present here.

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #4,709 of 6,740
Guys - I've found the holy grail.

Eufonika!

A polish guy making tube amps for CHEAP - and I'd take my H5 over a BHC. And yea they're pre-built extremely well and sound godlike. And the customer support is beyond awesome. Got a review coming soon, once I'm well enough again, anf you won't be disappointed. This is what we've been waiting for.

I thought I got the whole tube and OTL thing with Aeolus, but the H5 gave me a revalation! Perfection for under half of FeliksEcho mk2. Hmmmm.

Edit: double post, not sure how but apologies

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #4,710 of 6,740
Guys - I've found the holy grail.

Eufonika!

A polish guy making tube amps for CHEAP - and I'd take my H5 over a BHC. And yea they're pre-built extremely well and sound godlike. And the customer support is beyond awesome. Got a review coming soon, once I'm well enough again, anf you won't be disappointed. This is what we've been waiting for.

I thought I got the whole tube and OTL thing with Aeolus, but the H5 gave me a revalation! Perfection for under half of FeliksEcho mk2. Hmmmm.

Edit: double post, not sure how but apologies
Just ordered one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back