ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jul 18, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #4,726 of 6,734
I say go ahead. I debated a bit before placing my order for the Aeolus. Do I really need another headphone? However, after receiving it and listening to it for a while it's become one of my absolute favorite headphones - and it's very well made with beautiful wood. It feels like an heirloom piece.

You have atticus too?

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #4,728 of 6,734
2021_0721_13302100.jpg

Didn't expect to see an African Blackwood Aeolus around here, but here it is.

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #4,730 of 6,734
The absolutely scorching continuous heat has finally started to subside over here and I've been able to listen to music again with my Aeolus and boy

It is just such a got dang pleasant listening experience. Been listening to stuff on my mediocre speakers for some weeks now so the sort of smallness or thinness of the headphone sound came as a bit of a surprise again, but I adjusted to it quickly and now I'm finding myself addicted again. I cannot get over the bass of these (with the iFi BL Xbass toggle on), it sounds incredible.

Do feel like I'm in the mood for some thicker mid bass and low mids right now so I think I'm gonna swap in the stock pads again later today though.

edit: I'm finding the leather stock pads much more comfortable now than I did when I got the headphones earlier this year. Really weird. Is it possible they'd get softer with time or something? ****ing love how these sound too.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #4,731 of 6,734
I have been using Verite for almost two years, and every time I try my friend's Aeolus, it never fail to give me a bliss enjoyment. Great tuning is always great for long long time, can not just beat by technicality. (Senn HD650 for the real example).

Aug 2, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #4,732 of 6,734
I have been using Verite for almost two years, and every time I try my friend's Aeolus, it never fail to give me a bliss enjoyment. Great tuning is always great for long long time, can not just beat by technicality. (Senn HD650 for the real example).
I am blessed to have both the Aeolus and Verite.

While the Verite is my all-time favorite for that crazy good holographic detailed sound and wider stage, the Aeolus is my go-to headphone for accentuated mids or when I just want to have more intimacy with the music. I sold the HD650 recently because I have the Aeolus (which to me is so much better). If I have only the Verite, I would probably still keep the HD650 as the tuning on Verite is very different vs Aeolus.

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #4,733 of 6,734
IMG_1494.jpg

10pm on the first work day after a 4-week summer vacation. Thought today would suck, but I ended up listening to music on my Aeolus for genuinely most of the day (I did work, too... a bit) and I just can't get over how much these have grown on me over the past months. I'm sure at least someone remembers my rambling nonsense posts when I got my Aeolus in early April and was disappointed when they sounded so drastically different from my other headphone(s) back then. Now I can't even imagine how any other headphone could sound better to me.

Like, I genuinely can't. There's something about the Aeolus sound that makes music sound distractingly pleasant and addictive. When I listen to music on it, I can't not stop what I was doing and just.. turn to stare outside the window and focus utterly on the music. I'm sure there's at least a couple of people in the building opposite mine who think I'm some sort of a weirdo, always gazing outside with a vacant stare and nodding (along to the music, but how would they know) for prolonged periods of time.

It's bizarre, and I really wish I could pinpoint what the specific quality is that makes these sound so... harmonious to me. Would maybe help in my closed-back search. I guess I could try the Atticus and see if it gives me the same feeling of pure auditory pleasure.

I'm definitely going to get a proper desktop stack after all, too. Probably Bifrost + Jotunheim [+ Lokius, because I obviously can't use the BL's XBass in the stack]. Maybe Feliks Audio Echo, too. I want to see if I can squeeze juuust a bit more euphonic delight out of these.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #4,735 of 6,734
I am blessed to have both the Aeolus and Verite.

While the Verite is my all-time favorite for that crazy good holographic detailed sound and wider stage, the Aeolus is my go-to headphone for accentuated mids or when I just want to have more intimacy with the music. I sold the HD650 recently because I have the Aeolus (which to me is so much better). If I have only the Verite, I would probably still keep the HD650 as the tuning on Verite is very different vs Aeolus.
After reading so many comments here, I should get my hand on Aeolus to compliment my ZMF VC one day. HD650 is exactly my cup of tea (I still keep them till now, probably for life), and seems like Aeolus is sort of a big step-up but inline with how HD650 sound.

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #4,736 of 6,734
IMG_1494.jpg

10pm on the first work day after a 4-week summer vacation. Thought today would suck, but I ended up listening to music on my Aeolus for genuinely most of the day (I did work, too... a bit) and I just can't get over how much these have grown on me over the past months. I'm sure at least someone remembers my rambling nonsense posts when I got my Aeolus in early April and was disappointed when they sounded so drastically different from my other headphone(s) back then. Now I can't even imagine how any other headphone could sound better to me.

Like, I genuinely can't. There's something about the Aeolus sound that makes music sound distractingly pleasant and addictive. When I listen to music on it, I can't not stop what I was doing and just.. turn to stare outside the window and focus utterly on the music. I'm sure there's at least a couple of people in the building opposite mine who think I'm some sort of a weirdo, always gazing outside with a vacant stare and nodding (along to the music, but how would they know) for prolonged periods of time.

It's bizarre, and I really wish I could pinpoint what the specific quality is that makes these sound so... harmonious to me. Would maybe help in my closed-back search. I guess I could try the Atticus and see if it gives me the same feeling of pure auditory pleasure.

I'm definitely going to get a proper desktop stack after all, too. Probably Bifrost + Jotunheim [+ Lokius, because I obviously can't use the BL's XBass in the stack]. Maybe Feliks Audio Echo, too. I want to see if I can squeeze juuust a bit more euphonic delight out of these.

The addiction is real.. It is difficult to end the listening session once it starts..

Aug 3, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #4,737 of 6,734
The addiction is real.. It is difficult to end the listening session once it starts..

That it is. Which sucks, cause I only get the peace and quiet required to really enjoy it late at night, so I'm staying up longer than I should lol. Especially right now with all these loud work sites around my apartment building. Sometimes I hate living in the city.

Aug 3, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #4,738 of 6,734
That it is. Which sucks, cause I only get the peace and quiet required to really enjoy it late at night, so I'm staying up longer than I should lol. Especially right now with all these loud work sites around my apartment building. Sometimes I hate living in the city.

I see, which is why you are considering a closed back in your earlier post. If you ever come across verite closed, give them a listen, who knows you may fall in love once again. It is one of the best closed back I have heard, period. Not to mention how gorgeous zmf headphones are. Would be a good companion to your aeolus side by side 😉

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #4,740 of 6,734
I see, which is why you are considering a closed back in your earlier post. If you ever come across verite closed, give them a listen, who knows you may fall in love once again. It is one of the best closed back I have heard, period. Not to mention how gorgeous zmf headphones are. Would be a good companion to your aeolus side by side 😉

I would absolutely love to get to try the VCs some day, but alas, I doubt my chances up here in the cold northern Europe are very good. I guess you could call it a blessing too, though. Those bad boys cost some serious money, and if I did end up loving them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back