ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Apr 25, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #6,721 of 6,740
☑️ ... when it comes to Aeolus, only Aeolus OG lambskin earpads will do. "You've heard the rest, stay with the best". 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’ve tried a lot and I always go back to the Aeolus og pads. Especially with the pietus Maximus. It’s a match made in heaven!

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #6,722 of 6,740
I’ve tried a lot and I always go back to the Aeolus og pads. Especially with the pietus Maximus. It’s a match made in heaven!
I think it depends on the installed mesh and number of vents. I'm told that they were changed at some point but only have my own as a reference (my Aeolus is from 2022). The OG pads were too bombastic for me, but I'm not really a basshead. The Uni lamb were fun for a while, but still not ideal for me. I use the BE2 hybrid pads mostly now, but sometimes steal the Caldera ultraperf pads from my VO, or use the Uni suede. The choices can be overwhelming.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #6,723 of 6,740
I think it depends on the installed mesh and number of vents. I'm told that they were changed at some point but only have my own as a reference (my Aeolus is from 2022). The OG pads were too bombastic for me, but I'm not really a basshead. The Uni lamb were fun for a while, but still not ideal for me. I use the BE2 hybrid pads mostly now, but sometimes steal the Caldera ultraperf pads from my VO, or use the Uni suede. The choices can be overwhelming.
My second favorite is a tie between the Uni perf lambskin and Be2 suedes. Very different sound profiles but I love them both a lot. But I still like the og Aeolus ones the best. I also believe the wood has an impact on the sound. It is pretty obvious to me when I was comparing the Cocobolo to a harder wood like African blackwood

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #6,724 of 6,740
I've always been curious about this. Someday it'd be cool to compare a stock 3-baffle-hole Aeolus with a stock 2-baffle-hole Aeolus, the old vs the new. Zach said he changed to 2 holes once Universe pads became stock, so I can only assume removing the hole cuts back on the treble and elevates the bass slightly. But that's just my hypothesis, which would track with your experience (yours has 2 holes, correct?). Only one way to find out for sure though...

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #6,725 of 6,740
I've always been curious about this. Someday it'd be cool to compare a stock 3-baffle-hole Aeolus with a stock 2-baffle-hole Aeolus, the old vs the new. Zach said he changed to 2 holes once Universe pads became stock, so I can only assume removing the hole cuts back on the treble and elevates the bass slightly. But that's just my hypothesis, which would track with your experience (yours has 2 holes, correct?). Only one way to find out for sure though...
Where on the headphone do you find the holes 3 vs 2? Do you have to remove the pad to see?

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #6,726 of 6,740
Where on the headphone do you find the holes 3 vs 2? Do you have to remove the pad to see?
Yeah, the baffle is where the pad attaches to the headphone. When you remove the pads, you'll see either 3 holes or 2 holes on the face of the baffle facing the ears.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #6,727 of 6,740
Yeah, the baffle is where the pad attaches to the headphone. When you remove the pads, you'll see either 3 holes or 2 holes on the face of the baffle facing the ears.
IMG_9293.jpeg

These are the Canarywood Ltd from April 2022. Snapped a pic while changing from hybrid to lamb BE2 pads.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #6,728 of 6,740

So those holes actually make a difference in how the headphone sounds? Interesting.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #6,730 of 6,740
So those holes actually make a difference in how the headphone sounds? Interesting.
... so do the holes on either side of your head ... 🤷🏻‍♂️🤪

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #6,732 of 6,740
IMG_9293.jpeg
These are the Canarywood Ltd from April 2022. Snapped a pic while changing from hybrid to lamb BE2 pads.
Yeah it’s entirely possible that I don’t know what I’m talking about 🤣 Maybe the 2 hole is the newer one and 3 hole the old.
It’s possible! It’s always been a curiosity of mine, but never actually confirmed it.

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #6,733 of 6,740
I purchased my Aeolus headphones second hand. The owners' card has a 2022 date of production. Came with the universal lambskin perforated earpads and the owner had ordered the hybrid pads as second choice. My headphones have three holes in the baffles.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #6,734 of 6,740
Yeah it’s entirely possible that I don’t know what I’m talking about 🤣 Maybe the 2 hole is the newer one and 3 hole the old.

It’s possible! It’s always been a curiosity of mine, but never actually confirmed it.
I think the mesh was changed in conjunction with the number of vents and the OG pads were phased out. I’m sure I read pages about it on one of these threads. My Aeolus came with Uni suede pads, The OG Aeolus pads I bought were B-stock. I’ll probably try them again someday. It’s nice to have them for reference, but they don’t really work for me.

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #6,735 of 6,740
Wierd my aeolus ltd African blackwood from 2019 has more hole then usual 2 hole and 4 small ones

1000025494.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back