ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 3, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #4,741 of 6,741
I'm definitely going to get a proper desktop stack after all, too. Probably Bifrost + Jotunheim [+ Lokius, because I obviously can't use the BL's XBass in the stack]. Maybe Feliks Audio Echo, too. I want to see if I can squeeze juuust a bit more euphonic delight out of these.
I would highly recommend tubes with the aeolus. I have the darkvoice 336se and a few NOS tubes I put into it and it sounds phenomenal. (I also have a zmf pendent SE, but that is probably a bit out of your budget.) Or if you really want a little taste of tubes, go with a bifrost 2 ->Lokius -> Lyr
(I have very little experience with most schiits products, but I hear that is a really good combo for hd600/hd650/Aeolus

Aug 3, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #4,742 of 6,741
I would highly recommend tubes with the aeolus.

Concur.

I run a few different chains and have found these three to be my favorite with Aeolus (in order from favorite):
  1. Topping A/D90 to cap-modded Liquid Platinum (best bass)
  2. Chord Qutest to McIntosh MHA200 (best mids and most clarity)
  3. Schiit Modi 2 to Valhalla 2 with varying tubes (fun for live recordings)

Aug 3, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #4,745 of 6,741
Concur.

I run a few different chains and have found these three to be my favorite with Aeolus (in order from favorite):
  1. Topping A/D90 to cap-modded Liquid Platinum (best bass)
  2. Chord Qutest to McIntosh MHA200 (best mids and most clarity)
  3. Schiit Modi 2 to Valhalla 2 with varying tubes (fun for live recordings)

Another confirmation on Aeolus with tubes being a must-try. I can heartily recommend the Bottlehead Crack and the Aeolus as having great synergy. Tubes can get expensive but IMO part of fun is experimenting with different "flavors" to see what you like best. I have the Bifrost2/Jot2 that gets a good amount of use for day-to-day usage (esp quick sessions) but doesn't come close to the euphonic bliss that come from listening with tubes.

Aug 3, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #4,746 of 6,741
Man, I would love to have a listen to my Aelous powered by some tubes. I posted in this thread a week or two ago about my generally positive impressions, with the caveat I expected a little more warmth and a little more punch based on everything I'd read. I did end up reaching out to ZMF, and through that conversation was able to purchase a pair of the "Aeolus" pads. I feel like the differences between these and the full-leather perforated universe pads are both subtle and profound. Objectively, I can't imagine the differences being as stark as the difference in my enjoyment would suggest. These have brought out all the punch and warmth I expected, and while there's less treble sizzle than the hybrid pads I was using initially, there is no detail or clarity lost that I can tell. This is honestly just about a perfect overall sound signature for me, and I love these very much with these pads.

I'm still just using the Drop 789 amp. Would love to try out tubes sometime, but I'm so enamored with the sound now as-is that the sense of urgency I had to move to tubes has taken a back seat.

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #4,747 of 6,741
Man, I would love to have a listen to my Aelous powered by some tubes. I posted in this thread a week or two ago about my generally positive impressions, with the caveat I expected a little more warmth and a little more punch based on everything I'd read. I did end up reaching out to ZMF, and through that conversation was able to purchase a pair of the "Aeolus" pads. I feel like the differences between these and the full-leather perforated universe pads are both subtle and profound. Objectively, I can't imagine the differences being as stark as the difference in my enjoyment would suggest. These have brought out all the punch and warmth I expected, and while there's less treble sizzle than the hybrid pads I was using initially, there is no detail or clarity lost that I can tell. This is honestly just about a perfect overall sound signature for me, and I love these very much with these pads.

I'm still just using the Drop 789 amp. Would love to try out tubes sometime, but I'm so enamored with the sound now as-is that the sense of urgency I had to move to tubes has taken a back seat.
If you were to go to a tube h/p/a from the Drop 789, the sound signature (tonal balance) might not change much. However, other sound attributes - texture, dimensionality, reverberation, ‘thereness’ - would increase dramatically. You might find your surrender to the music even more effortless. (If your curiosity prompts you, a great start is the Schiit Valhalla II at $349. I own this & other tube h/p/a. The Valhalla II is excellent for driving my ZMF Auteur.)

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #4,748 of 6,741
Such a shame that tube amps get so stupidly expensive super quick, though, especially since the opinions on them are REALLY varied. The Feliks Audio Echo is the only relatively safe choice for me since it's under a thousand euros, not custom-built and a store in my country sells it, so returning should be easy and I'd actually get all of my money back, too. The rest of the affordable European/non-US stuff is custom-built (Tor Audio, SW51+, etc.) with loong waiting times and the non-custom-built stuff is easily over a thousand euros all the way to like tens of thousands lol.

There is also a Finnish equivalent of BH Crack for around 300 euros, actually, and I could probably get my brother to build it for me, but it's unsurprisingly pretty much impossible to find any impressions on the amp online.

Echo does seem like a solid choice, though. I've seen some people call it congested on here, but most seem to have enjoyed it with the Aeolus or other ZMF cans. The store that sells it is pretty far away from me, but I guess I could look into auditioning it first.

What was the high output impedance SS amp Zach liked to recommend for their cans, again? Beyerdynamic something something, I think? It's not a tube amp obviously, but I'm kind of curious about that one, too.

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #4,749 of 6,741
Such a shame that tube amps get so stupidly expensive super quick, though, especially since the opinions on them are REALLY varied. The Feliks Audio Echo is the only relatively safe choice for me since it's under a thousand euros, not custom-built and a store in my country sells it, so returning should be easy and I'd actually get all of my money back, too. The rest of the affordable European/non-US stuff is custom-built (Tor Audio, SW51+, etc.) with loong waiting times and the non-custom-built stuff is easily over a thousand euros all the way to like tens of thousands lol.

There is also a Finnish equivalent of BH Crack for around 300 euros, actually, and I could probably get my brother to build it for me, but it's unsurprisingly pretty much impossible to find any impressions on the amp online.

Echo does seem like a solid choice, though. I've seen some people call it congested on here, but most seem to have enjoyed it with the Aeolus or other ZMF cans. The store that sells it is pretty far away from me, but I guess I could look into auditioning it first.

What was the high output impedance SS amp Zach liked to recommend for their cans, again? Beyerdynamic something something, I think? It's not a tube amp obviously, but I'm kind of curious about that one, too.
If you're looking to try before going crazy with tubes, the Darkvoice is superb. With upgraded tubes it does a brilliant job.

I've got mine sat next to my Cayin HA-1A mk2 (also upgraded tubes), and I still use the DV just as much as the Cayin.

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #4,751 of 6,741
If you're looking to try before going crazy with tubes, the Darkvoice is superb. With upgraded tubes it does a brilliant job.

I've got mine sat next to my Cayin HA-1A mk2 (also upgraded tubes), and I still use the DV just as much as the Cayin.

I've heard DV is a dang solid starter tube amp for sure, but since it's not really available anywhere in Europe, I haven't really considered it.

Just looked up the Cayin HA-1A - that is an extremely pretty device!

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #4,752 of 6,741
I've heard DV is a dang solid starter tube amp for sure, but since it's not really available anywhere in Europe, I haven't really considered it.

Just looked up the Cayin HA-1A - that is an extremely pretty device!
Very pretty, but has some mild background hum and I've already had an LED fail under one of the tubes. It's only a couple of months old!

Ebay may be your friend when it comes to trying a tube amp. Also many of the Chinese suppliers on ebay are happy to declare a reduced item cost if you ask them to for delivery.

I've heard great feedback about the Echo with ZMF cans from a couple of friends on here. But the Aeolus is already thick sounding, be prepared for it to sound thicker again with the Echo stock tubes. Personally I prefer to pair a thick sounding headphone with a brighter sounding tube, even them out a bit.

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #4,754 of 6,741

Not sure what the Schiit Valhalla 2 costs in your area, but that's a decent tube amp at a more affordable price.

The beyerdynamic amp you're thinking of is the A20, with a 100ohm output impedance. I just got one in recently and do admit it's a very nice SS option when I don't want to mess with tubes. For comparison I like it more than the much more expensive Phonitor E i own. The Phonitor is an all around better amp for sure, but the synergy of the A20 with high z headphones is undeniable. I'll gladly give up a bit of resolution and refinement for what i find to be a more natural sounding amp in the A20. I'm really impressed with it so far, and have no desire to my Phonitor or RS-08 after getting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back