ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jun 25, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #4,681 of 6,740
Jun 25, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #4,682 of 6,740
Jun 25, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #4,683 of 6,740
Jun 26, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #4,687 of 6,740
It's not REALLY a loss
(I keep telling myself)
Agree with jinxy245.
I have always counted myself lucky to have discovered the Aeolus. The mids sound 1st class (I sold my HD650 recently... with no regrets). If not for the fact that I already have the Aeolus with camphor burl wood, I would have jump on this new bocote LTD. Looks simply stunning !

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #4,688 of 6,740
Okay somehow I cannot find a similar thread for the ZMF Atticus. But I am just wondering if anyone has compared the Aeolus with the Atticus. There are a couple up for grabs on CAM (Canuck Audio Mart) and I am curious to try. One is in the Cocobolo wood.
The one that's up for grabs on CAM is mine as it's my listing. The Atticus is quite a bit warmer than Aeolus. Although they share the same driver they don't really sound that much alike. I really like them both but I sold my Aeolus prematurely trying to buy a stabilized but was unsuccessful on the release day.

Now i'm selling the Cocobolo Atticus for the Bocote Aeolus that Zach just released or an Olive Verite Closed.

Feel free to reach out on CAM if you're interested in purchase. They are absolutely mint and sound as good as they look.

Jun 26, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #4,689 of 6,740
The one that's up for grabs on CAM is mine as it's my listing. The Atticus is quite a bit warmer than Aeolus. Although they share the same driver they don't really sound that much alike. I really like them both but I sold my Aeolus prematurely trying to buy a stabilized but was unsuccessful on the release day.

Now i'm selling the Cocobolo Atticus for the Bocote Aeolus that Zach just released or an Olive Verite Closed.

Feel free to reach out on CAM if you're interested in purchase. They are absolutely mint and sound as good as they look.

Well the Aeolus to my ears is a fairly warm sounding headphone. Any warmer and it would be pretty "dark". Not sure I would want that. I don't care for a "bright" sound but I want lots of clarity in the mids and highs. I don't care for the bass to be over powering as I am not into bass heavy music.

Jul 7, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #4,691 of 6,740
After a botched repair attempt, my HD650s are now out of commission. I mean they still work, but the bass is almost completely gone. I had scraped off the foam under the "spidercage" behind the driver because the foam melted and pieces fell into the driver cavity. Little did I know that doing that would completely eliminate the bass from the headphone. Tried using DIY foam pieces around the house but it's not working.

I have the HD800s and Focal Elex, but I find them fatiguing and can't listen for long periods. They scratch my itch for soundstage and clarity, so I'm looking for a laid-back and easy listening pair like the HD650. Should I consider the Aeolus, or is that overkill? It would be much cheaper to just get replacement drivers for the 650.

Jul 7, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #4,692 of 6,740
After a botched repair attempt, my HD650s are now out of commission. I mean they still work, but the bass is almost completely gone. I had scraped off the foam under the "spidercage" behind the driver because the foam melted and pieces fell into the driver cavity. Little did I know that doing that would completely eliminate the bass from the headphone. Tried using DIY foam pieces around the house but it's not working.

I have the HD800s and Focal Elex, but I find them fatiguing and can't listen for long periods. They scratch my itch for soundstage and clarity, so I'm looking for a laid-back and easy listening pair like the HD650. Should I consider the Aeolus, or is that overkill? It would be much cheaper to just get replacement drivers for the 650.
Just on the topic of fixing your HD650. This might work for you as it requires the foam to be taken out

https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/modified-hd600.html

Jul 7, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #4,693 of 6,740

Many do consider Aeolus the direct upgrade. I think they compliment HD800s and Elex nicely. Although some might argue a planar can be a better compliment to your dynamic headphones. You can also consider Hifiman Ananda.

Jul 7, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #4,694 of 6,740

Aeolus is absolutely going to check the laid-back, easy listening box. You can crank them to unsafe listening levels and still not be offended by any of its sound signature.

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #4,695 of 6,740
is there a Verite Closed thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back