ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jul 8, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #2,867 of 6,728
I think I just might have a very early production pair of Universe Suede Perforated on my Aeolus.

Here is close up of what the pads in question look like. These came with my Aelous straight from ZMF, and are currently on them. They look more like cloth than suede.
20200708_192918.jpg

Here are the Universe Suede Perforated that just got delivered.
20200708_193930.jpg

They look different enough, to make me wonder whats what.
As explained the ones that come with it are slightly different than the Universe Suede. It's even listed separately on their pad chart.

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #2,868 of 6,728
That's weird - my fairly new universe suede perfs look exactly like the older ones. The material is definitely also more like cloth than suede - I thought that was how all the "suede" pads were. Now I'm curious as to what the difference is and why I ended up with these type of pads. Hopefully @zach915m can be of help here.

I have a suede strap coming soon, so I'll be able to compare the materials there too.

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #2,869 of 6,728
That's weird - my fairly new universe suede perfs look exactly like the older ones. The material is definitely also more like cloth than suede - I thought that was how all the "suede" pads were. Now I'm curious as to what the difference is and why I ended up with these type of pads. Hopefully @zach915m can be of help here.

I have a suede strap coming soon, so I'll be able to compare the materials there too.

Now that you mention it, the suede fabric on my perforated suede universe pads for Aeolus do feel more like cloth than typically fuzzy suede

I'm not concerned in the least--these pads, which are less than 1 yr old, are superb sounding for the Aeolus and are very comfortable. And this relatively heavy HP (blackwood earcups + magnesium frame) is so well balanced that the weight hardly registers...

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #2,870 of 6,728
We used a different material for about 3 months for one batch of universe suede pads, although it appears slightly different it measures exactly the same.

They are both technically vegan suede material, but in reality any vegan material is more or less thick brushed fabric, as there's no animal materials in them.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 9, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #2,871 of 6,728
As explained the ones that come with it are slightly different than the Universe Suede. It's even listed separately on their pad chart.
I don't think we are talking about the same pads. Thanks though!

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #2,872 of 6,728
We used a different material for about 3 months for one batch of universe suede pads, although it appears slightly different it measures exactly the same.

They are both technically vegan suede material, but in reality any vegan material is more or less thick brushed fabric, as there's no animal materials in them.
Thanks for clearing that up Zach! I knew they were legit pads and I love them. As someone with a bad case of OCD, I just had to know what pads I have and now I do. :o2smile:

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #2,873 of 6,728
I don't think we are talking about the same pads. Thanks though!
We are because I have exactly the same experience. Purchased Aeolus with stock vegan pads, then separately bought Universe suede pads. The suede appears and feels slightly different than the ones that came installed on the Aeolus. Where we may differ, is how does the foam bounce back when pressed? One the ones received installed, it returns to normal shape pretty much instantly, while on the other Universe pads, it clearly takes longer and one responds more like memory foam. I may be mistaken, but I think at one point Zach mentioned slightly different foam on the Aeolus Universe pads. Nevertheless, I can't tell any difference sonically.

Sorry to make it even more complicated, but all 3 pictured are Universe perf suede. Top I got in late June. Middle I got late November, and the bottom came installed on the Aeolus in late December. The bottom two the foam returns to normal virtually the same, and slight difference is probably due to using the middle ones the most. The top, most recent, seem like memory foam in returning to normal. Again, they all sound the same and are equally comfortable. I'm glad Zach's answer reassured you, and it answers something I've been curious about myself.
IMG_2899.jpg

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #2,874 of 6,728
The Universe Hybrid Perf are in the house and getting put on my Aelous this afternoon. I am freaking pumped to hear what they can do!

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #2,875 of 6,728
We are because I have exactly the same experience. Purchased Aeolus with stock vegan pads, then separately bought Universe suede pads. The suede appears and feels slightly different than the ones that came installed on the Aeolus. Where we may differ, is how does the foam bounce back when pressed? One the ones received installed, it returns to normal shape pretty much instantly, while on the other Universe pads, it clearly takes longer and one responds more like memory foam. I may be mistaken, but I think at one point Zach mentioned slightly different foam on the Aeolus Universe pads. Nevertheless, I can't tell any difference sonically.

Sorry to make it even more complicated, but all 3 pictured are Universe perf suede. Top I got in late June. Middle I got late November, and the bottom came installed on the Aeolus in late December. The bottom two the foam returns to normal virtually the same, and slight difference is probably due to using the middle ones the most. The top, most recent, seem like memory foam in returning to normal. Again, they all sound the same and are equally comfortable. I'm glad Zach's answer reassured you, and it answers something I've been curious about myself.
Yep, looks like we were talking about the same thing after all. Pictures are worth a thousand words. :wink: Interesting how the perforations look like different sizes on all 3.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #2,877 of 6,728
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on them. Those have been on radar to try and just have not got around to buying them yet.
I will let you know what I think after I have had some time with them, and if you want an idea of what others have said, @raindownthunda has already given a great description of them a few pages back. From what he said, I think I am going to love them.

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #2,878 of 6,728
I will let you know what I think after I have had some time with them, and if you want an idea of what others have said, @raindownthunda has already given a great description of them a few pages back. From what he said, I think I am going to love them.
I use the universe hybrid perforated pads and I gave my thoughts about them several pages back. I like these pads slightly better than the suede universe perforated pads. I think the hybrid pads provide better imaging and tighter bass compared to the suede universe perf pads while maintaining musicality.

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #2,879 of 6,728
My Aeolus arrived last week. Couldn't be happier. Thanks very much to Zach for his responsive advice and superb customer service. Am glad the waiting period was finally over for me. Well worth the wait though.

aeolus.jpg

My Aeolus came with the Perforated Universe Suede pads already put onto the hp. Planned to start off with the PUS pads before trying the stock pad and others like Hybrid Lambskin/Suede pad later when I am into pad rolling/finetuning. For now, just want to dig in with the PUS pad. BTW, they are so comfy, the slightly heavier weight relative to my existing Senn HD650 did not bother me at all.

Initial impression after about 50-60 hours burn-in time(hp, cable and brain)so far, I would say the sound is simply euphoric; it has hit a sweet spot for me. Benchmarking against the HD650, the Aeolus sounds familiar in signature and yet so much better to my ears. Bass and treble are both better extended. The bass, for example, is punchy with more control and less boomy. The mids; slightly less forward vs HD650 but nonetheless still very pleasing, sounds visceral and liquid smooth. To me, the biggest difference of Aeolus vs the HD650 in my audio chain (LP RS05>Vio V850> Vio V280) is the dimensional soundstage and image expansion that was absent in the HD650. Both headphones are very good in terms of tonal balance and timbre so not much to compare there. Perceptually, this is how I look at/hear the Aeolus vis-a-vis the HD650.

1594359000733.png

Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion and a simplistic generalisation. Please factor in some degree of confirmation bias and YMMV.

My new Draug 3 hp cable arrived early this week as well. So this will be a great weekend to listen to the synergy-tuned Draug 3 cable with the Aeolus in my audio ecosystem. Thanks to all who had shared your impressions and experiences in this thread, they have been very helpful.

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #2,880 of 6,728
My Aeolus arrived last week. Couldn't be happier. Thanks very much to Zach for his responsive advice and superb customer service. Am glad the waiting period was finally over for me. Well worth the wait though.

aeolus.jpg

My Aeolus came with the Perforated Universe Suede pads already put onto the hp. Planned to start off with the PUS pads before trying the stock pad and others like Hybrid Lambskin/Suede pad later when I am into pad rolling/finetuning. For now, just want to dig in with the PUS pad. BTW, they are so comfy, the slightly heavier weight relative to my existing Senn HD650 did not bother me at all.

Initial impression after about 50-60 hours burn-in time(hp, cable and brain)so far, I would say the sound is simply euphoric; it has hit a sweet spot for me. Benchmarking against the HD650, the Aeolus sounds familiar in signature and yet so much better to my ears. Bass and treble are both better extended. The bass, for example, is punchy with more control and less boomy. The mids; slightly less forward vs HD650 but nonetheless still very pleasing, sounds visceral and liquid smooth. To me, the biggest difference of Aeolus vs the HD650 in my audio chain (LP RS05>Vio V850> Vio V280) is the dimensional soundstage and image expansion that was absent in the HD650. Both headphones are very good in terms of tonal balance and timbre so not much to compare there. Perceptually, this is how I look at/hear the Aeolus vis-a-vis the HD650.

1594359000733.png
Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion and a simplistic generalisation. Please factor in some degree of confirmation bias and YMMV.

My new Draug 3 hp cable arrived early this week as well. So this will be a great weekend to listen to the synergy-tuned Draug 3 cable with the Aeolus in my audio ecosystem. Thanks to all who had shared your impressions and experiences in this thread, they have been very helpful.

Congrats on getting your Aeolus in - it looks beautiful! Which LTD wood is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back