ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jul 10, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #2,881 of 6,720
Jul 10, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #2,882 of 6,720
My Aeolus arrived last week. Couldn't be happier. Thanks very much to Zach for his responsive advice and superb customer service. Am glad the waiting period was finally over for me. Well worth the wait though.

aeolus.jpg
Imma need to see more pics of those! I can sorta see if I zoom in. I tend to love the darker woods with brass and from what I can it appears outdone himself again.

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #2,883 of 6,720
My Aeolus arrived last week. Couldn't be happier. Thanks very much to Zach for his responsive advice and superb customer service. Am glad the waiting period was finally over for me. Well worth the wait though.

My Aeolus came with the Perforated Universe Suede pads already put onto the hp. Planned to start off with the PUS pads before trying the stock pad and others like Hybrid Lambskin/Suede pad later when I am into pad rolling/finetuning. For now, just want to dig in with the PUS pad. BTW, they are so comfy, the slightly heavier weight relative to my existing Senn HD650 did not bother me at all.

Initial impression after about 50-60 hours burn-in time(hp, cable and brain)so far, I would say the sound is simply euphoric; it has hit a sweet spot for me. Benchmarking against the HD650, the Aeolus sounds familiar in signature and yet so much better to my ears. Bass and treble are both better extended. The bass, for example, is punchy with more control and less boomy. The mids; slightly less forward vs HD650 but nonetheless still very pleasing, sounds visceral and liquid smooth. To me, the biggest difference of Aeolus vs the HD650 in my audio chain (LP RS05>Vio V850> Vio V280) is the dimensional soundstage and image expansion that was absent in the HD650. Both headphones are very good in terms of tonal balance and timbre so not much to compare there. Perceptually, this is how I look at/hear the Aeolus vis-a-vis the HD650.

Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion and a simplistic generalisation. Please factor in some degree of confirmation bias and YMMV.

My new Draug 3 hp cable arrived early this week as well. So this will be a great weekend to listen to the synergy-tuned Draug 3 cable with the Aeolus in my audio ecosystem. Thanks to all who had shared your impressions and experiences in this thread, they have been very helpful.
Wow! Those look gorgeous! I would love to see some more side pics of the wood grain, as well. :wink: I have mine paired up with a Draug 3s too, and it can't get any better.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #2,885 of 6,720
Wow! Those look gorgeous! I would love to see some more side pics of the wood grain, as well. :wink: I have mine paired up with a Draug 3s too, and it can't get any better.
@Wes S and @robo24
Here another pic. It's B-stock so the cups do not exactly match but I'm totally cool with it :). In fact, I love its unique look even more !
Aeolus pic.jpg

@Wes S
Yes, I got the Draug 3 because I wanted a cable that is neutral, has more transparency and clarity but with no coloration to the sound of Aeolus.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #2,886 of 6,720
@Wes S and @robo24
Here another pic. It's B-stock so the cups do not exactly match but I'm totally cool with it :). In fact, I love its unique look even more !
Aeolus pic.jpg

@Wes S
Yes, I got the Draug 3 because I wanted a cable that is neutral, has more transparency and clarity but with no coloration to the sound of Aeolus.
Nice man! Those are beautiful and thanks for sharing the pic. I have 2 Draug 3s cables, one on my Atticus and one on my Aelous, and there is not a better copper cable available.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #2,888 of 6,720
@Wes S and @robo24
Aeolus pic.jpg

@Wes S

They are lovely! They don’t look b-stock at all... ! Congrats and enjoy them! :)

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #2,889 of 6,720
Hey all - has anyone successfully managed to massage /smooth out the pop that can happen with the mesh filter? The filter on the right ear cup of my Aeolus is popping every time I put them on and it’s driving me crazy and spoiling the experience. No amount of messaging/rubbing it seems to be sorting the issue (and I’m worried about oils from my hands transfering to the filters) but perhaps there are other hints and tips that aren’t on the ZMF guide? Thanks in advance.

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #2,890 of 6,720
Hey all - has anyone successfully managed to massage /smooth out the pop that can happen with the mesh filter? The filter on the right ear cup of my Aeolus is popping every time I put them on and it’s driving me crazy and spoiling the experience. No amount of messaging/rubbing it seems to be sorting the issue (and I’m worried about oils from my hands transfering to the filters) but perhaps there are other hints and tips that aren’t on the ZMF guide? Thanks in advance.

The real key is to massage in a circular motion with the earpad on in the spot that making the pop. Don't worry about bending the steel mesh or using a little force with the round part of your thumb as bending the steel mesh is what you want to do. Just make sure you're pin ponting the spot that is popping, instead of just going to the center of the mesh, as the pop could happen from a non centered point.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 10, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #2,891 of 6,720
I actually had the same thing in my left cup, and the massage technique worked for me.

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #2,892 of 6,720
The real key is to massage in a circular motion with the earpad on in the spot that making the pop. Don't worry about bending the steel mesh or using a little force with the round part of your thumb as bending the steel mesh is what you want to do. Just make sure you're pin ponting the spot that is popping, instead of just going to the center of the mesh, as the pop could happen from a non centered point.

Thanks. I’ve been trying that but it simple does not want to flatten out - the area “popping” covers quite a large portion of the mesh. It’s just a bit wonky, perhaps related to how it’s screwed in. I’ll keep trying with the pad on to see if there’s a magic spot but I am not very hopeful.

4B439AEB-FA7A-4F15-9B9E-070FA7DF9982.jpeg
B37241D9-9485-4510-8BE1-AF3B2BD86891.jpeg

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #2,893 of 6,720
Jul 10, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #2,894 of 6,720
We used a different material for about 3 months for one batch of universe suede pads, although it appears slightly different it measures exactly the same.

They are both technically vegan suede material, but in reality any vegan material is more or less thick brushed fabric, as there's no animal materials in them.

Thanks for clearing it up!

I think in the end I prefer the perf suede pads a lot more than the stock ones. Like, a LOT more. It's just such a pleasant, but yet surprisingly detailed sound. I feel as if the pad change allowed the Aeolus to show what they're really capable of.

@AudioPowerHead

My god that finish looks good. I think I have a new favourite Aeolus.

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #2,895 of 6,720
@Wes S and @robo24
Aeolus pic.jpg

@Wes S

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing these photos. Can’t wait for my LTD to come in next week :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back