ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Sep 6, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #1,714 of 6,737
Not being able to hear these when I was in the market I was really nervous picking up a pair of Atticus or Aeolus. I bought a pair of Aeolus with Zicrote wood (one of my favorite woods) with silver grilles and rods. It reminds me of the previous wood LCD-4’s with their chrome grille. I also bought the universal suede pads and it’s a real nice way to change up the sound. What has baffled me the most, @zach915m is creating a class of headphones competing with the big business juggernauts and imho better than some of them, if that’s not loving the American dream I don’t know what to tell ya but to buy these headphones.

I still enjoy my other headphones but I go for Aeolus first every time, they are just so lush and dynamic (my Focal Clear Pro’s are more dynamic but lose all the Aeolus lush sound).

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #1,715 of 6,737
Got my pair last night, enjoying them right now with their stock pads. Also have the perf suede pads which I'll try in a week or two. I also got the OFC cable and I wondering how you guys went about straightening the cable out? It seems to have a mind of it's own on where it wants to twist and bend. Is there a good way to "untangle" it so it doesn't flip and twist so much?

Thanks

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #1,716 of 6,737
Anyone with owner pictures of the aeolus Blackwood version? I like the stock photos on the and site but personal one would help me pull the trigger....not sure if I want the stainless steel or the rose gold

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #1,721 of 6,737
New Aeolus day for me! I have wanted a lighter weight ZMF since well, about the first hour I owned my Auteur (530 grams). So when I heard Zach was making a few sets in Mahogany and they would be super lightweight, I jumped on it. They had the potential to be under 400 grams, my set ended up at 403 grams. I love them! Feels so strange after the Auteur to pick up a pair of ZMFs and be greeted by something that feels more like a Sennheiser. The biggest benefit of the lower weight for me has been they don't shift around on my head as much. Still burning in so holding off on in-depth impressions, but I see why people say these are so intoxicating. The warmth and natural timbre (Sennheiser HD 6X0 series like), is something to behold.

20190909_102047_HDR.jpg
20190909_103224_HDR.jpg

Bonus family photo!

20190909_102541_HDR.jpg

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #1,722 of 6,737
New Aeolus day for me! I have wanted a lighter weight ZMF since well, about the first hour I owned my Auteur (530 grams). So when I heard Zach was making a few sets in Mahogany and they would be super lightweight, I jumped on it. They had the potential to be under 400 grams, my set ended up at 403 grams. I love them! Feels so strange after the Auteur to pick up a pair of ZMFs and be greeted by something that feels more like a Sennheiser. The biggest benefit of the lower weight for me has been they don't shift around on my head as much. Still burning in so holding off on in-depth impressions, but I see why people say these are so intoxicating. The warmth and natural timbre (Sennheiser HD 6X0 series like), is something to behold.

Bonus family photo!

They look awesome on the Salire too!

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #1,723 of 6,737
They look awesome on the Salire too!

Agreed! I got the purpleheart salire to match the oxidized padauk auteur, but I think I like the Aeolus on it even more. For anyone on the fence on the salire, it is sturdy and gorgeous. Great deal for the price. Only thing that is kind of hard to get used to is routing the cables from your headphones if you are trying to quickly put them on there (like if you get a phone call at work). As a place to leave your headphone when not listening/keep on display? Perfection.

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #1,724 of 6,737
What's the preferred pads for the aeolus? I'm gonna get the stock pads but not sure which secondary I want....also as far as the LTD goes does anybody know when they will stop selling the Blackwood? I hope it's there by Friday when I get paid lol

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #1,725 of 6,737
What's the preferred pads for the aeolus? I'm gonna get the stock pads but not sure which secondary I want....also as far as the LTD goes does anybody know when they will stop selling the Blackwood? I hope it's there by Friday when I get paid lol
I’m a big fan of the perforated suede universe pads! So far my favorites for the Aeolus! Opens it up a bit more and is extremely comfortable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back