ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 26, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #1,681 of 6,743
Going to be putting an order in for these soon (not sure if i'm jumping on the LTD or not yet). Does anyone have any experience with the various upgraded cables ZMF offers? Considering getting the Michanikos, so I'm wondering if it ads anything other than pure aesthetic.
I own the Michanikos, and it is a killer cable and pairs extremely well with the Aeolus. There is zero microphonics, and it seems to just give a little bit of extra extension/clarity in the top end, while maintaining all other frequencies. I love this cable, and can not recommend it enough.

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #1,682 of 6,743

Aeolus, tubes and Lagavulin. It’s been a stressful couple of weeks, but damn, this combo is making it all seem like a distant memory now.

Don't think I have EVER had: Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain or Dewars...
In fact, up until 5-6 years ago, I thought I hated whiskey and scotch. Then, I discovered that I hated the ones that are smokey... I actually really like the ones from the highlands (Tomatin, Glenmorangie, Macallan) :beerchug:

Probably not gona like Lagavulin then. It's a good 'n peaty Islay....some would say almost "iodine" like. Same goes for Laphroaig, just a bit less peaty. Me, I love the peaty Scotches, Lagavulin is one of my go to's. I prefer Islays over any others usually.

Here's an older picture of my Scotch and Irish Whiskey collection. If I had to choose just one, it would Bushmills 21 year, the notes that hit you is pepper/spice and a very smooth dry fruit finish. As for Scotch, I preferred ones from the Islay region. Ardbeg 10 year is great for the price as in my State prices have skyrocketed. I've had Macallan 25 year neat for my Wife and I's anniversary and for the price of one glass I wasn't impressed. 2nd glass was Oban 18 year and was much more enjoyable, the saddest part, one snifter of Macallan 25 was double or more than an entire bottle of Oban 18.

Am mostly into Irish whiskey now... If you guyz want to try some good ones:
Bushmills 16 is great for the money
Powers John's Lane 12 too
Kilbeggan 21 is much cheaper than equivalent 21 year old scotch
Anything Redbreast is easy to drink too

Stocking right now before prices skyrockets like Japanese whisky :wink:

Kelvin

Had the Yamazaki 12 when I was stationed in Japan. By far my favorite. Yamazaki 18 was a hard one to find plus it was out my paygrade at the time when I did find it lol

Concur with whiskey, tubes, and ZMF cans! I’m mostly on a bourbon and rye kick lately...and dare I say....I’ve been on a sipping rum kick also (currently have three from different locales)...I have a decent collection of Scotch as well.

Something about sipping booze while relaxing to some good audio chains! Great way to end a long day or cruise through a weekend.

Highly recommend Yellow Spot :)

2zhM0Io.jpg

I thought it said "breakfast".

Reddit has a drunk Hi-Fi thread...maybe a similar thread here?

Ok, fellas! I've taken the liberty to create a Whiskey-Fi thread to post our musings on the topic of whiskey and audio pairings:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/whiskey-fi-audio-and-whiskey-pairings-musings.913820/

Let's keep this discussion on-topic and move all alcohol talk to the above thread!

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #1,683 of 6,743

Aeolus, tubes and Lagavulin. It’s been a stressful couple of weeks, but damn, this combo is making it all seem like a distant memory now.
I bet that combo sounds amazing! Beautiful pair, you got there!

Aug 26, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #1,684 of 6,743
Anyone run into problems with squeaky adjustment slider on both sides of the headphone? Just watched Zack's latest youtube video over "General Cleaning the wood cups and gimbals". Wondering if some WD-40 would be fine with correcting the squeaky-ness.

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #1,685 of 6,743
Anyone run into problems with squeaky adjustment slider on both sides of the headphone? Just watched Zack's latest youtube video over "General Cleaning the wood cups and gimbals". Wondering if some WD-40 would be fine with correcting the squeaky-ness.
I would be cautious using it, as it may discolor the finish? I personally would use what @zach915m recommended, or something similar...but that is what I would do, they are your headphones, do what you think is best =)

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #1,686 of 6,743
I would be cautious using it, as it may discolor the finish? I personally would use what @zach915m recommended, or something similar...but that is what I would do, they are your headphones, do what you think is best =)
I agree.

Aug 26, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #1,687 of 6,743

I had a squeaking issue when I would move my head side to side. When does it squeak for you?

Aug 26, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #1,688 of 6,743
I had a squeaking issue when I would move my head side to side. When does it squeak for you?
Moving the headphone head side-to-side, where the metal on metal would rub against one another making the squeaking sound.

Aug 26, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #1,689 of 6,743
There's two possible places a zmf can make a squeak or make a sound.

In the rods: use WD40 - a very small amount.

Im the gimbal attachment: use Mohawk penthouse polish.

The gaskets used for the gimbals are rated for 10 years use in harsh environments. So on your headphone they should last far longer. Regardless they are easily replaceable and available easily from McMaster-Carr.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 26, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #1,690 of 6,743
The source of the creaking noise for me was coming from the cable socket in the cup. The cable plug did not have a super tight fit in the socket and movement would cause a microphonic noise.

You can check if this is the same for you by unplugging the cable and moving your head side to side.

FWIW I dont have this issue with both my DIY cables. One uses Switchcraft plugs and the other Furutech

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #1,691 of 6,743

Absolutely stunning!!! Are those bubinga with bronze grills?

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #1,693 of 6,743
I'd like to see this as well. Usually I prefer lighter woods, but there is something about the blackwood aeolus with rose gold grills that jives with me...

What wood would be perfect for the aeolus disciples out there? I'm thinking some grey vintage driftwood / blue mahoe with copper grills. In fact this is the only thing I have been thinking about for the last couple of weeks.

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #1,694 of 6,743
I'd like to see this as well. Usually I prefer lighter woods, but there is something about the blackwood aeolus with rose gold grills that jives with me...

What wood would be perfect for the aeolus disciples out there? I'm thinking some grey vintage driftwood / blue mahoe with copper grills. In fact this is the only thing I have been thinking about for the last couple of weeks.
I bought a set with copper grills and rods! I had to have a pair, similar thoughts in regards to can’t get them out of my head...I’ll list my Ziricote Aeolus here and on another forum if @antdroid doesn't buy them :wink: but I’m in no hurry, I’m on vacation until the second week of Sept...so can’t do any selling until I get back.

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,695 of 6,743
Absolutely stunning!!! Are those bubinga with bronze grills?

Yes Sir! I LOOOOOVE the bubinga. The look and the sound is just magnificent. Probably my favorite headphone right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back