ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #1,726 of 6,743
What's the preferred pads for the aeolus? I'm gonna get the stock pads but not sure which secondary I want....also as far as the LTD goes does anybody know when they will stop selling the Blackwood? I hope it's there by Friday when I get paid lol
I like the perforated suede too but much prefer the stock pads. I like the tight punchy bass. It’s actually a good idea to have both as it’s like having 2 headphones in 1.

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #1,727 of 6,743
I like the perforated suede too but much prefer the stock pads. I like the tight punchy bass. It’s actually a good idea to have both as it’s like having 2 headphones in 1.
This is the correct answer :wink: but find your preference and know that ZMF pads are awesome for tweaking the sound =)

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #1,729 of 6,743
Well the wait begins. Aeolus Ltd. Blackwood with rose gold grills and rods. I have 6 weeks-ish to search for a nice tube amp to pair with my Auteurs (also Ltd. Blackwood) and incoming Aeolus. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #1,731 of 6,743
Well the wait begins. Blackwood Aeolus with rose gold grills and rods. I have 6 weeks-ish to search for a nice tube amp to pair with my Auteurs (also blackwood) and incoming Aeolus. Any suggestions?
If you do have a Blackwood & want to use that as well, I'd recommend a hybrid. There might be some full tube amps up to the task, but I don't think there are too many.
What is your budget?
Any interest in DIY ?
Excellent questions to ask yourself IMO.

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #1,732 of 6,743
What is your budget?
Any interest in DIY ?
I'd say my budget is around $2k. A month ago I was looking at ZDT Jr on massdrop for a pretty solid budget option to get me started. Not in stock anymore however. Tbh I dont have much interest in a DIY.

other gear is Rme adi-2 dac and THX 789.

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #1,733 of 6,743
$2K is a nice budget, but is right in between the good and best retail options (unless buying used)
I had the Bottlehead Mainline with Aeolus and it was just good. I don't think it was that much better than my SS amp, which you have covered with the THX 789.

The other 2 amps I have are both DIY that I built, so less relevant to you right now.
Nonetheless, they both have amazing synergy with the Aeolus (and probably any ZMF headphone), so if I were in your place, I would focus my search on something similar.
They single-ended triode (SET) amps, one with 45 power tubes and the other with 300B that have good quality output transformers. 2A3 probably also works well.

Others here have had good success with OTL so will probably chime in with specific models.

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #1,734 of 6,743
I'd say my budget is around $2k. A month ago I was looking at ZDT Jr on massdrop for a pretty solid budget option to get me started. Not in stock anymore however. Tbh I dont have much interest in a DIY.

other gear is Rme adi-2 dac and THX 789.
If you email ZMF they might still be able to bundle the Pendant Tube amp with your purchase? Might give you the bundled discount price still? But I would email them about it. Other than the Pendant I like the Cayin HA-1A MKII it is significantly cheaper, but for me it leans more neutral with a tube warmth to it. At least with all Russian Tung-Sol tubes in it =) YMMV...But if you have the budget I would say the Pendant as it was made for ZMF w/Zachs input, to match with his headphones.

Sep 11, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #1,735 of 6,743
If you email ZMF they might still be able to bundle the Pendant Tube amp with your purchase? Might give you the bundled discount price still? But I would email them about it. Other than the Pendant I like the Cayin HA-1A MKII it is significantly cheaper, but for me it leans more neutral with a tube warmth to it. At least with all Russian Tung-Sol tubes in it =) YMMV...But if you have the budget I would say the Pendant as it was made for ZMF w/Zachs input, to match with his headphones.
I am actually saving up for the Pendant, and will be purchasing one next month, and can't wait to get to end game, with my Aeolus, Ori, and Blackwood. I think that will be a perfect match for the warmer ZMF dynamics and planars.

Sep 11, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #1,736 of 6,743
Well the wait begins. Aeolus Ltd. Blackwood with rose gold grills and rods. I have 6 weeks-ish to search for a nice tube amp to pair with my Auteurs (also Ltd. Blackwood) and incoming Aeolus. Any suggestions?

Take a look in the Glenn OTL thread. Lots of GOTL owners have ZMF headphones and love the pairing. There is a wait list for the build time though. ZMF has been using it as one of the amps to demo their headphones at meets recently as well. I don't own a GOTL, but have it on my list for my next OTL; whenever that may be. I do have a La Figaro 339 OTL that sounds great with my Aeolus!

On the pads for Aeolus:
Stock = Lots of mid-bass
Suede Perf Universe = Slightly lest mid-bass that makes way for deep thunderous sub-bass
You know, just my opinion though.

Sep 11, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #1,737 of 6,743

I was considering an Atticus for the holidays so perhaps I will do a bundle for that. I might be going to ZMFestivus next month and I’m sure there will be a Pendant there to sample. Thanks!

I am actually saving up for the Pendant, and will be purchasing one next month, and can't wait to get to end game, with my Aeolus, Ori, and Blackwood. I think that will be a perfect match for the warmer ZMF dynamics and planars.

Awesome! Let me know your thoughts when you get one!!

Take a look in the Glenn OTL thread. Lots of GOTL owners have ZMF headphones and love the pairing. There is a wait list for the build time though. ZMF has been using it as one of the amps to demo their headphones at meets recently as well. I don't own a GOTL, but have it on my list for my next OTL; whenever that may be. I do have a La Figaro 339 OTL that sounds great with my Aeolus!

On the pads for Aeolus:
Stock = Lots of mid-bass
Suede Perf Universe = Slightly lest mid-bass that makes way for deep thunderous sub-bass

I did add on some Suede Perf Universe pads to my Aeolus order. I also looked into a Glenn amp but I dont think I have the patience to wait for a one just yet. Maybe next year once I have some gear to hold me over. I’ll check out the La Figaro when I get home. Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #1,738 of 6,743

On the pads for Aeolus:
Stock = Lots of mid-bass
As far as OTL amps, the Glenn OTL is the way to go. However, I am going with the Pendant, because I have planars as well.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #1,740 of 6,743
I may have to pick up a pendant down the road as well!! It would mean moving along some of my other tube amps though....how to decide...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back