ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,742 of 6,743
I was thinking about a pendant too for xmas, but if even zach doesn't use pendant to show his hps, that makes me have 2nd thoughts....
I have had someone else, that I really value their opinion, say the same thing, when I told him I was thinking about buying the Pendant. I wonder why he is not using this, as I have read killer reviews. My only guess is, that with his new Verite offerings, the Glenn OTL has better synergy. However, it seems that for those that have his planars and dynamics, the Pendant is a winner. I am actually going to reach out to Zach, to find the answer to this.

Sep 11, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #1,743 of 6,743
As far as OTL amps, the Glenn OTL is the way to go. However, I am going with the Pendant, because I have planars as well.
For what it's worth, according to the experienced folks on the Glenn thread:
a. Glenn OTL (a.k.a. GOTL) with the right output tubes (6336A) can drive planars very well.
b. Glenn also builds a "step-up" amp using EL3N tubes (the GEL3N amp). This one is NOT an OTL, but most people agree that it sounds even better with ZMF cans, and is driving planars very very well (one of the guys on the thread using his GEL3N with LCD3).

Just saying...

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #1,744 of 6,743
a. Glenn OTL (a.k.a. GOTL) with the right output tubes (6336A) can drive planars very well.
b. Glenn also builds a "step-up" amp using EL3N tubes (the GEL3N amp). This one is NOT an OTL, but most people agree that it sounds even better with ZMF cans, and is driving planars very very well (one of the guys on the thread using his GEL3N with LCD3).

Just saying...
I am already aware of all that, and thanks. I talked with Zach, and I am buying a Pendant, next month. Also, I don't have the patience, to wait longer than a year. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I don't want to have to tube roll every time I switch from planar to dynamic, either. I understand, for those wanting to tube roll and own a "million" different tubes, the Glenn is it. I have been researching for over a year on the Glenn stuff, and know he makes his amps to work well with cheap tubes, but I know myself and I would always be buying and wanting the best/most expensive tubes I could find, as happens with lots of Glenn amp owners. Another plus, coming from the Bottlehead Crack, is I have all the great 12au7 variants already, that will work in the Pendant. Just Saying. . .

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #1,745 of 6,743
I am already aware of all that, and thanks. I talked with Zach, and I am buying a Pendant, next month. Also, I don't have the patience, to wait longer than a year. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I don't want to have to tube roll every time I switch from planar to dynamic, either. I understand, for those wanting to tube roll and own a "million" different tubes, the Glenn is it. I have been researching for over a year on the Glenn stuff, and know he makes his amps to work well with cheap tubes, but I know myself and I would always be buying and wanting the best/most expensive tubes I could find, as happens with lots of Glenn amp owners. Another plus, coming from the Bottlehead Crack, is I have all the great 12au7 variants already, that will work in the Pendant. Just Saying. . .

What did zach say about pendant vs glenn?

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #1,746 of 6,743
I am buying a Pendant, next month.
I am sure you'll enjoy it :)

he makes his amps to work well with cheap tubes, but I know myself and I would always be buying and wanting the best/most expensive tubes
So true... speaking from experience...

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #1,747 of 6,743
I am sure you'll enjoy it :)

So true... speaking from experience...

This hobby is like a black hole.
I received the echo, it sounds so good that it seems impossible. So what am i thinking now? What an audiophile maniac could think?
"if a 499 otl sounds so good, how good can sound a pendant?"
Daaaaaaaaaaammit

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #1,748 of 6,743
He said, if you plan to use planars, the Pendant is the way to go, because it has transformer output and can provide the power that they need. We did not go into the specifics of sound between the 2, as that is all up to the listener. He also said, that the Pendant is in the same class, and with tube rolling, you can get the sound needed for any headphone, and this is just what I wanted to hear. I am looking for an affordable endgame tube amp, that can drive any headphone, and the Pendant is it. I know Glenn makes the EL3N amp, that can do the same thing, but again I am not patient enough to wait for it. However, he did say, that if you can find a Glenn OTL or EL3N in the used market to jump on it, as they are incredible values, and he does recommend them. These 3 amps, all hang with the big boys, and you can't go wrong with any of them. I trust Zach and his ears completely, and can't wait to get the Pendant.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #1,749 of 6,743
This hobby is like a black hole.
I received the echo, it sounds so good that it seems impossible. So what am i thinking now? What an audiophile maniac could think?
"if a 499 otl sounds so good, how good can sound a pendant?"
Daaaaaaaaaaammit
Well they are 2 different types of tube amps, so there is that. The Pendant is not an OTL, so I imagine it will sound different, with your Aeolus. If I was only using Zach's dynamics (300 ohm), I would stick with an OTL.

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #1,750 of 6,743
I was thinking about a pendant too for xmas, but if even zach doesn't use pendant to show his hps, that makes me have 2nd thoughts....

I have had someone else, that I really value their opinion, say the same thing, when I told him I was thinking about buying the Pendant. I wonder why he is not using this, as I have read killer reviews. My only guess is, that with his new Verite offerings, the Glenn OTL has better synergy. However, it seems that for those that have his planars and dynamics, the Pendant is a winner. I am actually going to reach out to Zach, to find the answer to this.

Just saying...

We have used the Pendant at every show except for CanJam London (because I didn't have a 240V at the time) - and at Socal I had the MonoBlock version of the Pendant, which is called LeeLoo Suolo I believe.

The amps I usually show are the Pendant and a Glenn OTL - and then if I have more room on the table I fill it out with various other gear. If you need a pre-amp and to drive planars I would recommend the Pendant over a Glenn OTL or getting a Gel3n etc etc or something else with more power at 50 ohm's for planars.

Glenn's amps are absolutely killer - but since he his just one guy and his amps take a long time to build - I try to temper immediate expectations to ZMF owners trying to acquire one. If you can talk a Glenn owner into selling theirs - more power to you!

For me it's more about if you want an OTL type sound and tube Nervosa vs a more powerful transformer coupled amp that is slightly quieter regardless of tube in the Pendant. They are both fantastic but you have to build in how long you are willing to wait, how many tubes you want to get etc etc.

There's a review of the Pendant on Earphiles right now: http://earphiles.org/2019/04/zmf-pendant-review/

I tried to work with Justin at ampsandsound to tune the Pendant to perfectly match our headphones and also work well with any other headphone you can throw at it and I think we did a great job!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 12, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #1,751 of 6,743
We have used the Pendant at every show except for CanJam London (because I didn't have a 240V at the time) - and at Socal I had the MonoBlock version of the Pendant, which is called LeeLoo Suolo I believe.

The amps I usually show are the Pendant and a Glenn OTL - and then if I have more room on the table I fill it out with various other gear. If you need a pre-amp and to drive planars I would recommend the Pendant over a Glenn OTL or getting a Gel3n etc etc or something else with more power at 50 ohm's for planars.

Glenn's amps are absolutely killer - but since he his just one guy and his amps take a long time to build - I try to temper immediate expectations to ZMF owners trying to acquire one. If you can talk a Glenn owner into selling theirs - more power to you!

For me it's more about if you want an OTL type sound and tube Nervosa vs a more powerful transformer coupled amp that is slightly quieter regardless of tube in the Pendant. They are both fantastic but you have to build in how long you are willing to wait, how many tubes you want to get etc etc.

There's a review of the Pendant on Earphiles right now: http://earphiles.org/2019/04/zmf-pendant-review/

I tried to work with Justin at ampsandsound to tune the Pendant to perfectly match our headphones and also work well with any other headphone you can throw at it and I think we did a great job!
Thanks Zach! That review on Earphiles, is what made me want one.

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #1,752 of 6,743
Same here.

Sep 13, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #1,753 of 6,743
I have a new Sapele Aeolus headed my way from Up Scale Audio. It has the black grill cover on it. Has anyone ordered from ZMF a set of grills for an Aeolus? am wondering how silver would look with the black gimbles and rods.

I am looking forward to joining the banter in the Aeolus thread. Any place that Koover hangs out has got to be full of good information and fun!

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #1,754 of 6,743
I have a new Sapele Aeolus headed my way from Up Scale Audio. It has the black grill cover on it. Has anyone ordered from ZMF a set of grills for an Aeolus? am wondering how silver would look with the black gimbles and rods.

I am looking forward to joining the banter in the Aeolus thread. Any place that Koover hangs out has got to be full of good information and fun!

@koover is definitely a cool dude.

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #1,755 of 6,743

@koover is definitely a cool dude.

You guys are too kind....and funny too.
There’s just a bunch of cool people all over this site, especially in “any” ZMF thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back