ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Mar 25, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #6,601 of 6,734
I don't understand how anyone can like these headphones, they are well built and comfortable, but that's the only thing they are in my opinion, in terms of sound they are in the class of $200 hradphones at best.
Haha hot take! What makes you say that? Also what chain are you running them with?

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #6,602 of 6,734
I don't understand how anyone can like these headphones, they are well built and comfortable, but that's the only thing they are in my opinion, in terms of sound they are in the class of $200 hradphones at best.
Sometimes it’s not for you…

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #6,603 of 6,734
It's not for you to "understand" but to "accept" 🤷🏻‍♂️. Others like, others rave about Aeolus. You do not. At least, you do say: "in my opinion" ☑️. If everyone heard sound identically, had identical sonic sensibilities, there would be need for only one headphone 😜.

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #6,604 of 6,734
Opinions are like earlobes: Everybody has them. I disagree vehemently with yours -- opinion, not earlobes!

Curious about the specific reasons on your take. You lit the Molotov cocktail and threw it in the room. But why? Why do you think the Aeolus sucks, and what are your preferred genres of music and sound signature in a headphone?

For example, I'll go on record as saying the HiFiMan Edition XS is a nice headphone but overrated. But that's because I'm not a fan of the HiFiMan "house sound" of slightly scooped mids and accentuated treble to create the sense of more detail. The XS has peaky treble and almost no note weight to my ears. The sound is reed-thin once you leave the bass, especially compared to something warmer and fuller like an Audeze LCD-2C or LCD-X 2021, or the Aeolus.

So, what are your specific reasons for disliking the Aeolus? Genuinely curious -- not conducting a kangaroo court here.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #6,605 of 6,734
Not questioning your opinion, but curious what amp you are using to drive them.

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #6,606 of 6,734
Given your headphones and gear it doesn't surprise me you dislike them. Those headphones you have are IMO on the bright side with extended treble. And the dac/amp gear is on the neutral/bright side as well. The Aeolus is tonally on the opposite end of the spectrum with reserved treble and thick mids. But why insult them with the trollish comment they sound like $200 headphones at best? Assuming you're not actually trolling, which I'm not sure of. Regardless of intent it's clear you don't like them, so why bother wasting time on the discussion of a headphone you dislike? Surely you have better things to do with your time?

1711471297579.png

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #6,609 of 6,734
I'm listening to my blackwood Aeolus right now (V281 fed by MHDT Labs Orchid).

Even though they are in the class of $200 headphones at best -- these sound surprisingly good!

(life is so much easier when you have bad taste in headphones)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #6,610 of 6,734
I'm listening to my blackwood Aeolus right now (V281 fed by MHDT Labs Orchid).

Even though they are in the class of $200 headphones at best -- these sound surprisingly good!

(life is so much easier when you have bad taste in headphones)
(..... what about in 'general' ? 🤪)

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #6,612 of 6,734
I can see (hear?) why Aeolus is not everyone's cup of tea, maybe at first. I've had mine for a while now but initially I had no wow moments apart from maybe how the mids sounded so right to me and it was overall a little underwhelming for the price (this was coming from having Edition XS or HD600 as my usual go tos). But over time, and after going over to the hybrid pads I now don't really want to use anything else, it just sounds so pleasurable with so many different types of music.

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #6,613 of 6,734
Echo that! I've had my aeolus for a year now.

I was not excited about it. I'm sensitive to perceived resonance at c.760hz which aeolus triggered a lot. The HD650 were sweeter and more relaxing. I felt Arya SE had greater detail and soundstage. But the timbre of the aeolus was always lovely; beautiful aesthetics and build quality too.

A year later? I've added an OTL tube amp and tweaked the pads and EQ. Undoubtedly the aeolus is now my pick of the three headphones.

I think it's resolving enough to confront the listener with shortcomings in the chain. It doesn't demand massive spendy either, a fairly modest BH crack for example and some EQ might be transformative.

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #6,614 of 6,734
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #6,615 of 6,734
Hello everyone, i wanted to buy the ZMF pads for the HD600 and the grado pad adapter but the shipping costs as much as the products itself. ): (I'am not even going to talk about taxes) Are there any ZMF sellers in the EU that offer shipping for a cheap price?

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/zmf-hd6xx-sub-pads

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/grado-earpad-adapter
You can check what the dealers have through here: https://www.zmfheadphones.com/dealersnew

At least Arkaudio in Sweden seem to carry a decent amount of accessories https://www.arkaudio.se/sv/leverantorer/zmf-headphones/zmf-pads/

Acorn too, though it's UK https://www.acornaudio.co.uk/shop/zmf-hd6xx-sub-pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back