ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Mar 31, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #6,616 of 6,741
Listening to Waxahatchee's new album, "Tigers Blood," this Easter morning on my Aeolus that I recently purchased from the most excellent @haasaaroni.

This is bliss. It really is. Everything just sounds so right, euphonic and musical. Nothing harsh. Nothing causes me to wince. Tuning over technicalities. Tone and timbre over ultimate detail. Man, I dig these cans. It's almost like Zach tuned them exactly for my preferences. This headphone makes me bop my head and tap my feet more than any other I've owned, and that's the entire point of listening to music for me.

I never grasped the concept of "end game" before I got the Aeolus. Now, I think I'm a hell of a lot closer, and I haven't even started pad or mesh rolling or connecting them to an OTL tube amp!

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #6,617 of 6,741
Listening to Waxhatchee's new album, "Tigers Blood," this Easter morning on my Aeolus that I recently purchased from the most excellent @haasaaroni.

This is bliss. It really is. Everything just sounds so right, euphonic and musical. Nothing harsh. Nothing causes me to wince. Tuning over technicalities. Tone and timbre over ultimate detail. Man, I dig these cans. It's almost like Zach tuned them exactly for my preferences. Theadphone makes me bop my head and tap my feet more than any other I've owned, and that's the entire point of listening to music for me.

I never grasped the concept of "end game" before I got the Aeolus. Now, I think I'm a hell of a lot closer, and I haven't even started pad or mesh rolling or connecting them to an OTL tube amp!
👍 .... if you try Aeolus with OTL tube h/p/a .... 🎼☺️🎶 .... ☁️☁️☁️

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #6,618 of 6,741
Listening to Waxhatchee's new album, "Tigers Blood," this Easter morning on my Aeolus that I recently purchased from the most excellent @haasaaroni.

This is bliss. It really is. Everything just sounds so right, euphonic and musical. Nothing harsh. Nothing causes me to wince. Tuning over technicalities. Tone and timbre over ultimate detail. Man, I dig these cans. It's almost like Zach tuned them exactly for my preferences. This headphone makes me bop my head and tap my feet more than any other I've owned, and that's the entire point of listening to music for me.

Just started listening. Good recommendation, thanks!!

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #6,619 of 6,741
Also, I was scouting the Classifieds section last night and stumbled upon the most gorgeous Aeolus I've seen imo. I really wanted an African blackwood LTD Aeolus, so low and behold, I am now the proud owner of two Aeolus! (will definitely be just one here soon, but I HAD to jump on those blackwood Aeolus)

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #6,622 of 6,741
After a decent amount of time with the uni suede perfs I've gone back to the uni leather perfs. Feels like a new headphone once again and I'm enjoying it a lot just like when I first switched :L3000: are there any Atrium Open owners here by the way? That's the one I have my eye on next but I haven't been able to find many comparisons between the two.

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #6,623 of 6,741
After a decent amount of time with the uni suede perfs I've gone back to the uni leather perfs. Feels like a new headphone once again and I'm enjoying it a lot just like when I first switched :L3000: are there any Atrium Open owners here by the way? That's the one I have my eye on next but I haven't been able to find many comparisons between the two.
This is an old video, but still has a good comparison. I prefer the Uni suede pads or the BE2 hybrids. The Uni lamb and OG Aeolus pads have made me realize I’m definitely not a basshead. The Caldera Ultra Perf were also pretty nice, but those seem to be good on almost all the models.

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #6,624 of 6,741
Apr 2, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #6,625 of 6,741
That’s what I love about ZMF in general. You can swap pads and it’s such a difference that it’s almost like a different headphone. Very refreshing if you want to change it up every so often and rekindle that initial first love from listening the very first time.

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #6,626 of 6,741
... 🎼 "Reunited and it feels so good / reunited 'cause we understood ... " 🎶
IMG_7705.jpeg
[Lyrics: Peaches & Herb]

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #6,627 of 6,741
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for helping me down this rabbit hole...After going through nearly all the posts (about 350), I was so moved that I jumped (fell) onto the ZMF train with a pair of Aeolus LTD that I traded for is on the way. They're as gorgeous as anyone has previously stated here (pic from previous owner), my only concern is my source(s). Here we ( I ) go again...

IMG_1991.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #6,628 of 6,741
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for helping me down this rabbit hole...After going through nearly all the posts (about 350), I was so moved that I jumped (fell) onto the ZMF train with a pair of Aeolus LTD that I traded for is on the way. They're as gorgeous as anyone has previously stated here (pic from previous owner), my only concern is my source(s). Here we ( I ) go again...

IMG_1991.jpeg
Start with the amps you have. I bet the Piety won't be bad at all. Since the Whammy says you might be a DIY type person, a Bottlehead Crack could be a rewarding future project. I've been trying to talk myself in to DIY projects, except I'm fairly certain a cat jumping on the same table as a hot soldering iron might have catastrophic consequences. I'll get a proper work space eventually. I don't think there's a bad option, just different levels of better.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #6,629 of 6,741
Start with the amps you have. I bet the Piety won't be bad at all. Since the Whammy says you might be a DIY type person, a Bottlehead Crack could be a rewarding future project. I've been trying to talk myself in to DIY projects, except I'm fairly certain a cat jumping on the same table as a hot soldering iron might have catastrophic consequences. I'll get a proper work space eventually. I don't think there's a bad option, just different levels of better.
Thank you for that, very encouraging. For the record, I'm not a DIY person, I bought the Whammy (when I had the Hifiman He6sev2 now gone). But, I'm still excited for the arrival. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #6,630 of 6,741
piety with Aeolus is pretty good; had that for a while

definitely would pair better with a more neutral dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back