ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Mar 22, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #6,586 of 6,742
I'm amused to see references to Garden of Eden, equating this or that headphone with sin, "hot lust with the Aeolus."

Generally I see this hobby as obsessive, yet not quite equivalent to "impure thoughts," as the priests so colorfully put it back in the day (when I couldn't avoid priests).

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #6,587 of 6,742
I'm amused to see references to Garden of Eden, equating this or that headphone with sin, "hot lust with the Aeolus."

Generally I see this hobby as obsessive, yet not quite equivalent to "impure thoughts," as the priests so colorfully put it back in the day (when I couldn't avoid priests).
Twelve years of Catholic school here. That explains all. :)

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #6,588 of 6,742
I’ve purchased Aeolus used and am enjoying them, but I could use some pad advice. I think they came with Caldera lambskin pads based on the perforation pattern (tell me if I’m wrong, pics below), and they sound good but maybe a bit more bright/neutral than I expected. Focal Clear serve as my brighter set (maybe too bright for me), so I would be ok if the treble was a bit more attenuated on the Aeolus as an alternative. Which pads/materials would bring out a warmer, thicker, richer sound? I gather from earlier discussions that the original Aeolus pads were the darkest but are no longer available. After those the next warmest option might be Universe Lambskin? Does that seem right or do folks have other suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #6,589 of 6,742
I’ve purchased Aeolus used and am enjoying them, but I could use some pad advice. I think they came with Caldera lambskin pads based on the perforation pattern (tell me if I’m wrong, pics below), and they sound good but maybe a bit more bright/neutral than I expected. Focal Clear serve as my brighter set (maybe too bright for me), so I would be ok if the treble was a bit more attenuated on the Aeolus as an alternative. Which pads/materials would bring out a warmer, thicker, richer sound? I gather from earlier discussions that the original Aeolus pads were the darkest but are no longer available. After those the next warmest option might be Universe Lambskin? Does that seem right or do folks have other suggestions? Thanks.
These look like the stock Universe Lambskins to me, but I could be wrong. I sold my pair with my Aeolus, so I don't have them here to look at. I would try emailing ZMF and seeing if they have any more Aeolus lambskin pads left in stock. They pop up during ZMF November sales pretty regularly, so you never know!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #6,590 of 6,742
Thanks. I was thinking these might be Caldera pads because it looked like there are more perforations than on the Universe pads (judging from ZMFs images and the description of Caldera pads as “ultra-perforated”), but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #6,591 of 6,742
on visual inspection those looks to be uni lamb perf; caldera pads have a very different structure.

caldera pads have their seam at the bottom of the pads and are much thinner (attached is caldera thick, which is closer to uni lamb perf).
1711289907436.png

universe pads are much flatter (less angled), and have the seam at the front (in the photo on the right seam is on the right)

1711289999373.png
1711290150534.png

you gotta keep in mind these pads are handmade (iirc), so not every pad will come out looking the same.
main difference (between caldera and universe pads) is where the seam is. As well as that is sorted you current pad should be uni lamb perf.

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #6,592 of 6,742
That’s really helpful. Thank you!
Maybe I’ll switch to the full titan mesh to dampen the treble, or I could try the suede or hybrid universe pads.

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #6,593 of 6,742
That’s really helpful. Thank you!
Maybe I’ll switch to the full titan mesh to dampen the treble, or I could try the suede or hybrid universe pads.
You’re kinda describing my whole journey with the Aeolus in a nutshell haha…

My solution was to go back to the old stock sound, all the way. That meant getting some of the old Bopp mesh from ZMF (that the titan mesh replaced) and the Aeolus lambskin pads. I didn’t like the solid titan mesh, as it made the sound a little too forceful and closed in, and I also thought the radial mesh introduced too much treble.

I’m curious what the difference between the baffles are though. I think Zach said the newer Aeolus have 2-hole baffles to accommodate for the universe pads as stock, whereas old pairs of Aeolus have a 3-hole baffle. As an owner with a 3-hole baffle Aeolus, I was just getting too much treble with any other combination on my chain. Do you happen to know how many holes your pair has?

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #6,594 of 6,742
My Aeolus have 3 holes, but the owner's purchase was fairly recent--owner's card indicates Jan 2024. I'll contact ZMF to see if there are any original Aeolus stock pads available for purchase. I may switch to the suede universe to see if that softens the upper end a bit, but I don't want to lose much in the bass and mids. Maybe the mesh change will do the trick.
My desire to rein in the treble may be due to sensitivity in my hearing or because I've grown accustomed to the darker, warmer signature of Bokeh (which I really enjoy). Thanks for the advice folks.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #6,595 of 6,742
Sound is absolutely dynamic, fluid, liquid, natural with this lineup ☑️:
IMG_7601.jpeg
[Tubes in Woo WA3: pair Western Electric 396A / 2C51, Cetron 7236.]

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #6,596 of 6,742
My Aeolus have 3 holes, but the owner's purchase was fairly recent--owner's card indicates Jan 2024. I'll contact ZMF to see if there are any original Aeolus stock pads available for purchase. I may switch to the suede universe to see if that softens the upper end a bit, but I don't want to lose much in the bass and mids. Maybe the mesh change will do the trick.
My desire to rein in the treble may be due to sensitivity in my hearing or because I've grown accustomed to the darker, warmer signature of Bokeh (which I really enjoy). Thanks for the advice folks.
What pad/mesh combo do you have on the Bokeh?

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #6,597 of 6,742
After some experimenting I came back to the stock protein pad and burst mesh on the Bokeh, but I EQ it a bit: +3 at 1.5k and 2.5k to clear up that lower treble area which is a bit hazy otherwise. It’s a smooth, relaxed sound that works well for long listening sessions.

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #6,598 of 6,742
After some experimenting I came back to the stock protein pad and burst mesh on the Bokeh, but I EQ it a bit: +3 at 1.5k and 2.5k to clear up that lower treble area which is a bit hazy otherwise. It’s a smooth, relaxed sound that works well for long listening sessions.
Ah gotcha. I don’t eq anymore and just like whatever my headphones are in stock form. With the Bokeh, I did use the Hybrid pad with solid mesh for over a week now which I was loving. I went to the Suede pad with solid mesh last night and fell in love. It’s lovely and I’m happy now. Even more so now that I can tell my Bokeh are fully broken in. They have 130 hours+ and they really sound more full and robust. Not hollow, and even thin to an extent.

Mar 25, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #6,599 of 6,742
I really like both the Bokeh and Aeolus and am finding that they excel in different use cases--or at least this is how I justify having more excellent headphones than I need... Aeolus is great for classical, acoustic, some jazz, and when I want to focus on the music more than work (good for other things of course but this is when I tend to reach for them). Bokeh for everything else--a great background listening headphone that lends itself to longer listening/work sessions and plays well with a range of equipment. I feel like I've landed on a really satisfying setup with these two, and I'm probably done buying/trading--at least for a long while.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #6,600 of 6,742
I don't understand how anyone can like these headphones, they are well built and comfortable, but that's the only thing they are in my opinion, in terms of sound they are in the class of $200 hradphones at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back