ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Apr 8, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #6,646 of 6,743
The Aeolus is my first foray into the world of ZMF. Pretty excited and uneasy at the same time. Never heard the ZMF sound, but from going through this thread, it seems very promising. Thanks for all your support and future guidance. :smile_phones:
We’ll be curious to hear your impressions when you get them! When are they arriving?

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #6,647 of 6,743
Apr 8, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #6,648 of 6,743
Got the African Blackwood Aeolus in today! Man, not gonna lie, I love the look of both Aeolus! Wish I could keep them both 🥲

I love Aeolus so much. Next ZMF is an Atrium open or Verite open or closed I think 😍

Attachments

• IMG_1683.jpeg
    IMG_1683.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1688.jpeg
    IMG_1688.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 8, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #6,649 of 6,743
Got the African Blackwood Aeolus in today! Man, not gonna lie, I love the look of both Aeolus! Wish I could keep them both 🥲

I love Aeolus so much. Next ZMF is an Atrium open or Verite open or closed I think 😍
Both are Beautiful

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #6,650 of 6,743
Both are Beautiful
I know, I'm going to have to sit on both for about a week and then decide which one I am keeping. Most likely the African blackwood since that was the wood I wanted for an Aeolus in the first place and this one is in absolutely stunning visual condition.

Apr 8, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #6,651 of 6,743
Is yours coming with extra sets of pads?
This is what's supposed to be included:
"Perforated Universe Lamb Skins are attached and a set of perforated suede pads are also included that look new"
Not sure which ones these are, but the other pair is in the plastic wrap. I'll be looking to tame the bass a bit and extend the midrange hopefully? with one of these pads. As I really love the vocals female and male...
IMG_1993.jpeg

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #6,652 of 6,743
This is what's supposed to be included:
"Perforated Universe Lamb Skins are attached and a set of perforated suede pads are also included that look new"
Not sure which ones these are, but the other pair is in the plastic wrap. I'll be looking to tame the bass a bit and extend the midrange hopefully? with one of these pads. As I really love the vocals female and male...
I've used 3 sets of pads with my blackwood Aeolus:
  1. Stock universe lambskins: I used these only briefly. They tended to exaggerate this headphone's inherent warmth & mid-bassy emphasis;
  2. Perforated Universe Suedes: These made an immediate improvement in the overall sound. I had them on my Aeolus for years and was happy with that sound, with the mid-bass bulge somewhat tamed and a bit more clarity in the upper mids and low treble;
  3. Verite Pads: These thinner perforated lambskin pads yield the most resolution and clarity I've yet heard from the Aeolus. It's a terrific sound IMO and I kept these pads on over the past year or so.
The Aeolus will never be a treble cannon headphone, a resolution monster--but no one who knows and likes the Aeolus would want such a thing. Still, it's relatively easy to use pad swaps to push the Aeolus' sound towards or away from resolution & relative neutrality.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #6,653 of 6,743
I've used 3 sets of pads with my blackwood Aeolus:
  1. Stock universe lambskins: I used these only briefly. They tended to exaggerate this headphone's inherent warmth & mid-bassy emphasis;
  2. Perforated Universe Suedes: These made an immediate improvement in the overall sound. I had them on my Aeolus for years and was happy with that sound, with the mid-bass bulge somewhat tamed and a bit more clarity in the upper mids and low treble;
  3. Verite Pads: These thinner perforated lambskin pads yield the most resolution and clarity I've yet heard from the Aeolus. It's a terrific sound IMO and I kept these pads on over the past year or so.
The Aeolus will never be a treble cannon headphone, a resolution monster--but no one who knows and likes the Aeolus would want such a thing. Still, it's relatively easy to use pad swaps to push the Aeolus' sound towards or away from resolution & relative neutrality.
Thank you for the advice and information. I'll be trying the suede pads, sounds like what I'm looking for. I don't want a treble monster, ear's can't handle it. 😉

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #6,655 of 6,743
I like the Be2 perforated suede and universe perforated suede pads the best. Universe perforated leather pads for those who want more bass.

Be2 pads have more sparkle, more present vocals, slightly closer presence overall, and a tighter, faster bass. To me it sounds like also the sub bass is brought out a little but I could be wrong on that. I feel like there’s more space between notes and overall it’s a very slightly more dry sound. I really like the cymbals and high hats, guitar on these pads.

Universe perforated suede pads are a little warmer than the Be2’s. Treble and sparkle are brought back but just to be more in the background rather than up front. No loss in clarity from the Be2’s. More mid to lower bass punch with these. Lower frequencies tend to connect ever so slightly more than the Be2’s.

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #6,656 of 6,743
Listening to this eclipse-appropriate beauty of a tune on my Indian Almond Aeolus as I type this. Pure bliss.

I obviously don't have my Indian Almond Aeolus anymore :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: , but I'm enjoying this immensely on my Auteurs! I've never heard this track before. It's great.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #6,658 of 6,743
Ok, here we (I) go! So far with the perforated lambskin pads. Nice and even sound not as a pronounced baseline as I expected, maybe the lightweight source is holding them back. These are more comfortable than expected, I'm really neck weight/pain sensitive. So so
far so good in that department. I'm Using the Cayin N3Pro on the 3.5mm out in tube mode which is I believe only about .238 wpc. Listening in hi gain and about 34 on the volume control resulting with the output of really nice musical set of headphones. After all I've read about ZMF, I am not surprised about the build quality, exceptional. I can't believe I'm eyeballing the next set of headphones, a bit more neutral Auture...I'm sick...But thankfully the Dr. ordered the Aeolus to slake my thirst... And being drop-dead gorgeous helps a bit too. :gs1000smile: 😉
IMG_2026.jpeg
IMG_2020.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #6,659 of 6,743
Ok, here we (I) go! So far with the perforated lambskin pads. Nice and even sound not as a pronounced baseline as I expected, maybe the lightweight source is holding them back. These are more comfortable than expected, I'm really neck weight/pain sensitive. So so
far so good in that department. I'm Using the Cayin N3Pro on the 3.5mm out in tube mode which is I believe only about .238 wpc. Listening in hi gain and about 34 on the volume control resulting with the output of really nice musical set of headphones. After all I've read about ZMF, I am not surprised about the build quality, exceptional. I can't believe I'm eyeballing the next set of headphones, a bit more neutral Auture...I'm sick...But thankfully the Dr. ordered the Aeolus to slake my thirst... And being drop-dead gorgeous helps a bit too. :gs1000smile: 😉
Yeah an OTL tube amp will bring these to life, like no other headphone I think I've ever owned. I think they really benefit from the high output impedance not only to boost the bass, but enhance its depth and impact. Trying them on a Valhalla 2 was a mind-blowing experience. You'd also get some good upper midrange clarity that most solid state stuff doesn't bring out very well.

That said, the Auteur Classic isn't a bad headphone either :wink: You'll get no help from me if you don't want to spend more money!

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #6,660 of 6,743
Yeah an OTL tube amp will bring these to life, like no other headphone I think I've ever owned. I think they really benefit from the high output impedance not only to boost the bass, but enhance its depth and impact. Trying them on a Valhalla 2 was a mind-blowing experience. You'd also get some good upper midrange clarity that most solid state stuff doesn't bring out very well.

That said, the Auteur Classic isn't a bad headphone either :wink: You'll get no help from me if you don't want to spend more money!
I guess I need to save some $ and look for a Valhalla 2. "You'll get no help from me if you don't want to spend more money!" Thanks for the heads up. But, I know who to go to for valuable insight with these beauties...Thx haasaaroni. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back