ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Apr 9, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #6,661 of 6,737
I guess I need to save some $ and look for a Valhalla 2. "You'll get no help from me if you don't want to spend more money!" Thanks for the heads up. But, I know who to go to for valuable insight with these beauties...Thx haasaaroni. 😉
Valhalla 2 is on "last call" in the Schiit website.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #6,662 of 6,737
I guess I need to save some $ and look for a Valhalla 2. "You'll get no help from me if you don't want to spend more money!" Thanks for the heads up. But, I know who to go to for valuable insight with these beauties...Thx haasaaroni. 😉
Haha of course! Valhalla 2's should be pretty easy to find used and pretty cheap, too. The Valhalla 3 is rumored to come out soon, so people are selling them off. Others here might know of other OTL amps they prefer with the Aeolus, but that one was a big eye opener for me. Congrats on the gorgeous pair of Aeolus!

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #6,663 of 6,737
Aeolus loves tubes. Just like most ZMF headphones.

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #6,664 of 6,737
Apr 10, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #6,665 of 6,737
Valhalla 2 is on "last call" in the Schiit website.
I saw that last night. I'll need to order one...
I have 3 ss amps I need to move, see my signature. 😄

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #6,666 of 6,737
Haha of course! Valhalla 2's should be pretty easy to find used and pretty cheap, too. The Valhalla 3 is rumored to come out soon, so people are selling them off. Others here might know of other OTL amps they prefer with the Aeolus, but that one was a big eye opener for me. Congrats on the gorgeous pair of Aeolus!
Thx! I'm searching for the used Valhalla and any suggestions for cheapo gear...

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #6,667 of 6,737
Thx! I'm searching for the used Valhalla and any suggestions for cheapo gear...
One thing that people often overlook is that Schiit gear’s warranty doesn’t transfer. I’ve never had an issue with any of my Schiit, but buying new isn’t that much more (especially on last call).
Just something to be aware of.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #6,668 of 6,737
One thing that people often overlook is that Schiit gear’s warranty doesn’t transfer. I’ve never had an issue with any of my Schiit, but buying new isn’t that much more (especially on last call).
Just something to be aware of.
Excellent observation, thx!

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #6,670 of 6,737
I think you have to be your own judge of value, depending on your appetite for risk and your finances. Personally I'd jump on it, based on great build quality with ZMF gear and consumer protection here in UK even for display stock. Also £400 saving means a lot to me. I bought aeolus used for £750 and absolutely love them. Listening to Jacques Loussier's Debussy album as I write this.

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #6,671 of 6,737
I'm thinking about getting my first ZMF.... the ZMF Aoelos! At my local audio shop I can buy the demo unit Aoelus for 789 euros. condition is pristine comes with extra caldera suede pads and carrying case. Brand new Aoelus costs at 1300 euros at the same shop. Should I get it?
Yes! I’m assuming you can audition it first, right? Definitely a good deal.

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #6,673 of 6,737
I'm thinking about getting my first ZMF.... the ZMF Aoelos! At my local audio shop I can buy the demo unit Aoelus for 789 euros. condition is pristine comes with extra caldera suede pads and carrying case. Brand new Aoelus costs at 1300 euros at the same shop. Should I get it?
Aeolus and Auteur are both great. I'm sure you will enjoy them. Try before you buy since they have them there.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #6,674 of 6,737
ABSOLUTELY, if you value tuning over technicalities and musicality over the last ounce of detail.

The Aeolus never will be a detail monster. It never will have soundstage like an HD 800 (or the crappy metallic timbre, either). But it's still the most enjoyable, musical headphone I've owned. Pad and mesh rolling also change the sonic signature. I haven't tried tubes yet, but most say the Aeolus scales beautifully on tubes.

Go for it!

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #6,675 of 6,737
ABSOLUTELY, if you value tuning over technicalities and musicality over the last ounce of detail.

The Aeolus never will be a detail monster. It never will have soundstage like an HD 800 (or the crappy metallic timbre, either). But it's still the most enjoyable, musical headphone I've owned. Pad and mesh rolling also change the sonic signature. I haven't tried tubes yet, but most say the Aeolus scales beautifully on tubes.

Go for it!
If you can try it on tubes I highly recommend it. Something about the Atticus/Aeolus driver that really benefits from the higher output impedance most tube amps provide. They really open up and take on a more musical and natural sound. Those drivers really do not like to be over dampened like most solid state amps will, given their normally ultra low output impedance. I almost sold my Atticus long ago when all I had was solid state. It sounded somewhat dull and unengaging on all my amps, including some heavy hitters like the V280, Phonitor, and RS08. But that first listen on a Bottlehead Crack made me a firm tube believer with high impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back