ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 25, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #5,881 of 6,741
So I'm pretty close to that line up, having an aelous, auteur classic, and ampandsound bigger ben. I would say absolutely 100% add the auteur classic. For me, they're different headphones for different things. The A.C. is my main headphone, and gets most of the true listening. The aeolus is perfect for times when I either don't need or don't want the music to demand my attention and I need to be mellow and relaxed. Now, don't get the impression that the A.C. is some forward, narrow unit, like a focal elex, which REALLY draw the ear; they're just MORE attentive than the aelous. You've got two completely different types of drivers and variance in tuning. I've got eikon suede on my A.C. and universe lambskin on my aeolus, which adds to the differences.

Both are excellent, excellent headphones with the A&S gear. The only reason I can think of not to get an auteur classic (if funds allow) is because you're getting an atrium.
Thanks for this! I know the OG Auteur has amazing synergy with A&S amps, but it’s good to know the Classic does as well. It’s really the only headphone on the market I’m wanting to own right now (within my financial means of course). If Zach brings any with him to CanJam next month, I don’t think I’ll help myself…

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #5,883 of 6,741
You will definitely enjoy the specially if you have a tube amp.

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #5,885 of 6,741
Interesting I've never heard of that amp before. But it looks like it was made for high impedance cans.

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #5,886 of 6,741
Interesting I've never heard of that amp before. But it looks like it was made for high impedance cans.

Yes it's a absolute monster (high power rails and exikon mosfits. It was my main amp for Susvara before I bought Flux Labs Volot and if anything ever happened to Volot it'd be my amp for sus. It runs everything with aplomb and musicality, huge soundstage. Even runs my highly sensitive Ether 2 nicely hopefully it's meshes well with zmf

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #5,887 of 6,741
Well not a tube amp but I do have a Kinki Studio Thr-1 lol kinda like a tube amp they say
The THR-1 and Aeolus sounds amazing, but a tube amp will bring even more out of it :wink:

Aug 26, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #5,888 of 6,741
The THR-1 and Aeolus sounds amazing, but a tube amp will bring even more out of it :wink:

Should I sell it and buy a tube amp, now that's the question of the day, because Volot has to stay lol. Any recommendations on a moderately priced tube amp? Never got into tubes, besides a orchid dac I bought a few years ago

I'm hopeful for some surprise magic with Volot but not sure, it does seem to bring out 100% of everything I plug into it, although I think alittle is left on the table with Sus, not enough for me to worry, just that thing scales like crazy

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #5,889 of 6,741
Agreed. ZMFs don't necessarily have to be driven with tube amps but a tube amp does seem to get the most out of them. Of course this is not an absolute and there are always exceptions but having heard several ZMFs with several different tube and solid state amps, I'll go with a tube amp with my ZMFs nearly 100% of the time. They are made for each other.

Aug 26, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #5,890 of 6,741
Should I sell it and buy a tube amp, now that's the question of the day, because Volot has to stay lol. Any recommendations on a moderately priced tube amp? Never got into tubes, besides a orchid dac I bought a few years ago

I'm hopeful for some surprise magic with Volot but not sure, it does seem to bring out 100% of everything I plug into it, although I think alittle is left on the table with Sus, not enough for me to worry, just that thing scales like crazy
I would check out the Bottlehead Crack currently for sale in the classifieds section. The Aeolus and BHC go together like pb&j. There is also a Woo Audio WA3 that many reputable members of this forum report having great synergy with ZMFs.

I'm a fellow MHDT user myself (Pagoda and Steeplechase). The combo of MHDT dacs with a good tube amp and the Aeolus is superb.

Aug 26, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #5,891 of 6,741
I would check out the Bottlehead Crack currently for sale in the classifieds section. The Aeolus and BHC go together like pb&j. There is also a Woo Audio WA3 that many reputable members of this forum report having great synergy with ZMFs.

I'm a fellow MHDT user myself (Pagoda and Steeplechase). The combo of MHDT dacs with a good tube amp and the Aeolus is superb.

Hmm maybe I can find someone wholl swap a Wa3 for my Kinki Studio Thr-1 🤔 or, just sell it I guess

Aug 26, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #5,893 of 6,741
Hmm maybe I can find someone wholl swap a Wa3 for my Kinki Studio Thr-1 🤔 or, just sell it I guess
Just my opinion but I would hold on to your Kinki and try a tube amp. Compare the two and sell the one you don't want after comparing if you only want to keep one amp. Do keep in mind that the 2 tube amps I recommend to you are OTL designs and are not capable of driving your Susvara. If you want a tube amp capable of driving your Aeolus and Susvara you are going to have to look at a more substantial (and expensive) amp such as WA6 SE, several Ampsandsound amplifiers, Quicksilver HPA, LTA MZs, and many others. Even then they might not drive your Susvara to very loud levels (depending on amp).

IMHO your better off having two amps; your Kiki for the Susvara and other planers and a tube amp for the Aeolus (and other high impedance headphones) if you are comfortable doing that. That way you have amps that are capable of maximizing the potential of the headphones you have.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #5,894 of 6,741
Just my opinion but I would hold on to your Kinki and try a tube amp. Compare the two and sell the one you don't want after comparing if you only want to keep one amp. Do keep in mind that the 2 tube amps I recommend to you are OTL designs and are not capable of driving your Susvara. If you want a tube amp capable of driving your Aeolus and Susvara you are going to have to look at a more substantial (and expensive) amp such as WA6 SE, several Ampsandsound amplifiers, Quicksilver HPA, LTA MZs, and many others. Even then they might not drive your Susvara to very loud levels (depending on amp).

IMHO your better off having two amps; your Kiki for the Susvara and other planers and a tube amp for the Aeolus (and other high impedance headphones) if you are comfortable doing that. That way you have amps that are capable of maximizing the potential of the headphones you have.

Well I'd still have my main amp, Volot so not all would be lost. Well, as long as nothing happens to it lol

Aug 26, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #5,895 of 6,741
Well I'd still have my main amp, Volot so not all would be lost. Well, as long as nothing happens to it lol
Go crazy and get a Folkvangr. It pairs very nicely with ZMFs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back