ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 18, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #5,851 of 6,734
Since we are on the topic on pads, are Uni Suede or Uni Lambskin better in terms of comfort (read: temperature-wise)?

Comfort wise, I think the uni suede is the winner as the suede material is slightly softer and more pliable than the leather. Both materials are very high quality for earpads. Temperature, they're feel pretty equal on my head.

Aug 18, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #5,852 of 6,734
I’ll probably get a lamb skin Uni or Be to try on the Aeolus eventually. Maybe when I buy my next set of ZMF. Have to see if I’ve saved up enough nickels by November.
Both are fantastic earpads, and I can easily understand why someone would choose one over the other for sound. I felt my old Ziricote wood pair sounded better with perf leather, whilst my current Sapelle pair sound better with perf suede. I remember being a bit taken back by how dry the Ziricote sounded with suede. Of course I could also just be talking b*llocks as I'm working from memory on the Ziricote.

Aug 18, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #5,853 of 6,734
I was looking at one pair before they sold. I had mentioned earlier that the aeolus was the only ZMF i've heard where I preferred the lambskin pads over the suede. I'm curious how I'd like the OG pads. I should have pulled the trigger, but I'd just purchased a pair of uni suedes to try and was loathe to go pad crazy.
Totally understandable. They're bound to show up in the classified section from time to time when the time is right. I may just have to put the Uni Suede pads on my Aeolus today just for a change up.

Aug 18, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #5,854 of 6,734
Since we are on the topic on pads, are Uni Suede or Uni Lambskin better in terms of comfort (read: temperature-wise)?
Both sound very good, but suede pads offer a bit more comfort when used for long sessions and warmer rooms.

Aug 18, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #5,855 of 6,734
Both sound very good, but suede pads offer a bit more comfort when used for long sessions and warmer rooms.
Comfort wise, I think the uni suede is the winner as the suede material is slightly softer and more pliable than the leather. Both materials are very high quality for earpads. Temperature, they're feel pretty equal on my head.
Nice; sounds like suede is the way!

Aug 18, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #5,857 of 6,734
What are some of the best earpads to pair with the Aeolus? Hoping to try one out at Canjam Socal.
Are you planning to BYOP (bring your own pads) or something?? To answer your question, Perforated Universe Suede is an easy top recommendation. OG Aeolus is my 2nd favorite with more elevated impactful bass, but I believe discontinued. i haven’t heard universe leather which supposedly sounds fairly similar.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #5,858 of 6,734
My work rig! Fed from a bifrost 2. The good news is that I love it. The Aeolus on tubes has a rich and hypnotic sound without screaming for attention and being closed in. Perfect for work.

The bad news is I managed about 14 minutes on it yesterday with everything that was going on. :). Happy Friday!

020930FB-1B63-44FB-BD23-86A035190EF7.jpeg

Aug 19, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #5,859 of 6,734
My work rig! Fed from a bifrost 2. The good news is that I love it. The Aeolus on tubes has a rich and hypnotic sound without screaming for attention and being closed in. Perfect for work.

The bad news is I managed about 14 minutes on it yesterday with everything that was going on. :). Happy Friday!

020930FB-1B63-44FB-BD23-86A035190EF7.jpeg
Work rig! No wonder that U.S. gross domestic product shrank by an annualised 0.9% in 2Q 2022…🤣!

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #5,861 of 6,734
I can´t regonize the amp,what is it for one? It looks beatiful with his nice 300b Western tube.
It’s a Bottlehead crackatwoa, with a WE 421A as the power tube. Good ol garage made tube amp :).

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #5,862 of 6,734
Work rig! No wonder that U.S. gross domestic product shrank by an annualised 0.9% in 2Q 2022…🤣!
I’m not gonna lie, I sometimes look for computer work instead of client work so I can turn it on :).

Aug 20, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #5,863 of 6,734
You never know until you try. Based off everything I read I thought the Universe Suede pads would be my pad of choice also. Turns out I prefer the OG Aeolus perforated lambskin pads by a good margin.
Had to reply to this one, because that's exactly how I feel. I've used the Universe Suede perf pads and I liked them, but after putting on the OG Aeolus pads today I don't think I will touch the Suede pads for a while. Have to add that the Aeolus with Suede pads were a nice enough contrast to my Arya's. But after adding a Auteur to the mix, I really like the unapologetic richness the OG Aeolus pads bring.

Now I only have to add that tube amp to the chain and I can melt away in my chair while listening.

Aug 20, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #5,864 of 6,734
Had to reply to this one, because that's exactly how I feel. I've used the Universe Suede perf pads and I liked them, but after putting on the OG Aeolus pads today I don't think I will touch the Suede pads for a while. Have to add that the Aeolus with Suede pads were a nice enough contrast to my Arya's. But after adding a Auteur to the mix, I really like the unapologetic richness the OG Aeolus pads bring.

Now I only have to add that tube amp to the chain and I can melt away in my chair while listening.
Yea you do! We’ve got very similar headphone choices. Once I found a tube amp that could run my Aeolus and Arya, I knew that’s all I needed. Now I just have to add an Auteur Classic to my setup and I’ll be all set 😏

Aug 20, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #5,865 of 6,734
Yea you do! We’ve got very similar headphone choices. Once I found a tube amp that could run my Aeolus and Arya, I knew that’s all I needed. Now I just have to add an Auteur Classic to my setup and I’ll be all set 😏
Considering we have the same taste in headphones, yeah you should add that Auteur Classic! I upgraded my OG Auteurs and received them a few days ago. I posted my impressions on the Auteur thread and there are so many more impressions over there from people that are much more experienced and well-versed than me. Long story short, I really like the Classic.

About that tube amp, I found one that suites my taste and matches with my Arya's and ZMF's. Having just found an Auralic Altair G1 for a bargain, I'll have to save up again.

But just thinking about the Aeolus, with OG pads, on tubes... *drool*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back